Evander Kane : Two crime reports filed in nightclub incident

Hoss

I would like to know if the police report says,"after viewing the tape it appears the subject grabbed...",or read s" witness/complainant/victim states..." normally, a police report is not a statement of fact, but a REPORT of what was told to our shown to the officer. I have no idea what happened (wasn't there), but what is in a police report is not meant to be taken as fact. Now if it were an affidavit of probable cause then the officer would be swearing to his beliefs in fact it is different

This is fair, and I think was similar to akm's point.  DWI is a serious matter.  But Kane was accused of choking a woman and trying to force her into his car (with the implication that he presumably was going to do something else once he got her into the car).  That's a pretty awful scenario. 

(NB as I've posted previously I am pretty skeptical about the truth of the accusations, but again we don't have any facts.)

Not sure you should be using the word "choking". All accounts I have seen said he grabbed the throat.  it did not say choke.  While it may be a fine line it's a fairly significant line.  You can grab by the throat and not choke someone especially if you have big hands.

Blech.

I don't trust Kane as a human being anymore.  He's a good player, but I'm really not sure if I still want him on the team.

Even if this incident goes the way of the last one (radio silence for 2 months and then it's quietly said to have been nothing), I can't trust that Kane didn't do anything.  Our justice system has failed too many women in the past.

So... because the system has failed women in the past you are willing to just assume he did something wrong?  Sigh. Not that I am trying to exonerate the guy here, but right now we have perceptions of what occurred and nothing more. There is a lot to consider behind the scenes on what leads up to an incident, what ACTUALLY happens versus HOW it gets reported, etc.  Eye-witness accounts are often incorrect or missing details and are even worse in highly emotional situations.

Let's slow down and let things play out.  Relax.  Base your action and response on fact and not supposition.

So... because the system has failed women in the past you are willing to just assume he did something wrong?  Sigh. Not that I am trying to exonerate the guy here, but right now we have perceptions of what occurred and nothing more. There is a lot to consider behind the scenes on what leads up to an incident, what ACTUALLY happens versus HOW it gets reported, etc.  Eye-witness accounts are often incorrect or missing details and are even worse in highly emotional situations.

Let's slow down and let things play out.  Relax.  Base your action and response on fact and not supposition.

I know that we know nothing.  But I don't trust the system, and no facts actually turned up last time. My human reaction is that I'll have a really hard time letting go of my doubt.

I know that we know nothing.  But I don't trust the system, and no facts actually turned up last time. My human reaction is that I'll have a really hard time letting go of my doubt.

That's my problem, too.  We're getting very close to the point where I don't want to root for the guy.  And if I don't want to root for the guy, I'll have a tough time rooting for my favorite team, which he plays for.

If Kane where playing for the Bruins or Flyers I wouldn't care. I would expect this coming from their roster. I expect better than this from my team's roster.

^

I have several relations and friends who are die-hard Steeler fans.

I wonder if they could provide me with insight on on how they've forged ahead as fans, notwithstanding Big Ben's despicable conduct.

It doesn't sit well to remind them of it.

Especially if you say....

I know we've never won a Super Bowl, but I can live with that. How do you live with yourself when rooting for a rapist?

Have to eat some crow on the Ryan O'Reilly "soon to be convicted of a crime" comparison with Kane's crime-free record.

Very happy to be able to eat it - glad for the kid. Hopefully the experience was valuable and that he continues to be a great ambassador for the team.

Here's to all of our players running on the right side of the law from here on out.

Have to eat some crow on the Ryan O'Reilly "soon to be convicted of a crime" comparison with Kane's crime-free record.

Very happy to be able to eat it - glad for the kid. Hopefully the experience was valuable and that he continues to be a great ambassador for the team.

Here's to all of our players running on the right side of the law from here on out.

What kid?

Yeah, the only kids involved here are the ones who idolize Kane and ROR, and who are now doomed to grow up to be woman-beating drunk drivers.

Won't someone think of the children?

You mean we should let the kids beat women and drink and drive? 

Or that we should beat the kids?

Edited by WildCard

Yeah, the only kids involved here are the ones who idolize Kane and ROR, and who are now doomed to grow up to be woman-beating drunk drivers.

Won't someone think of the children?

I wonder how many kids who are at the idolization age even know these incidents occurred.

I can understand that. If everything "goes away" again the only thing I can hope for is that people come to their senses in hanging around Evander Kane.  At some point people should realize that bad thing tend to happen around him and simply avoid being there in the first place.

If Kane where playing for the Bruins or Flyers I wouldn't care. I would expect this coming from their roster. I expect better than this from my team's roster.

It doesn't sit well to remind them of it.

Especially if you say....

I know we've never won a Super Bowl, but I can live with that. How do you live with yourself when rooting for a rapist?

I don't recall seeing his conviction on those charges.  Hell, I don't recall seeing those charges ever being brought against him.  There was an accusation.  The dude definitely was living the playboy athlete lifestyle and I don't particularly respect him but calling him a rapist is bit much.

I wonder how many kids who are at the idolization age even know these incidents occurred.

Yep.

+++

Hey: Anyone else think it was fishy how TBN broke this story with a headline that included the term "non criminal"? Not sure whether this was discussed upthread. It just struck me as a curiously pro-Sabres editorial spin. Why not just "harassment charges"?

I can understand that. If everything "goes away" again the only thing I can hope for is that people come to their senses in hanging around Evander Kane. At some point people should realize that bad thing tend to happen around him and simply avoid being there in the first place.

I don't recall seeing his conviction on those charges. Hell, I don't recall seeing those charges ever being brought against him. There was an accusation. The dude definitely was living the playboy athlete lifestyle and I don't particularly respect him but calling him a rapist is bit much.

I guess I believe he's as much a rapist as OJ is a a killer.

My boys are 10 and 12.   As a parent it's difficult to explain what's going on with these guys in terms they'll understand while keeping it PG.    The E. Kane stuff my kids don't care about, but the P. Kane stuff from last summer was a challenge to explain to them. 

My boys are 10 and 12.   As a parent it's difficult to explain what's going on with these guys in terms they'll understand while keeping it PG.    The E. Kane stuff my kids don't care about, but the P. Kane stuff from last summer was a challenge to explain to them. 

at 10 or 12 I feel like you should tell them straight up about respecting women.

at 10 or 12 I feel like you should tell them straight up about respecting women.

I've had the sex talk with both of them when they were ready and asking questions about it, both were around 8-9 iirc.    Anyway, yeah they understand about respecting women,  respect all people in general.     At the time of the P Kane stuff, they didn't understand the concept of rape, like why would somebody do that to someone else?    Instead of getting into the details and legalities of what constitutes rape, I left it as.... a girl was accusing P Kane of forcing himself on her when she didn't want to have sex.    My kids look up to P Kane as a hockey player (not a role model), they're fascinated by what he does on the ice, so you don't really want to ruin that for them, but life sucks sometimes so you deal with it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.