The 2016 Stanley Cup Finals

Eleven

All over now.

This is how I know my feed is behind.

San Jose deserved to lose. It looked like they were playing with pool noodles the first two periods.

This series is done unless San Jose transforms into a whole new team.

They deserved to lose game 3, too!  They have been out-played all game, every game.  A seeing-eye shot to tie it in game 3 doesn't change that.

I get to go to sleep on time.  

Speed kills!

Pens can pinch and pressure the puck knowing they can cover most misses by beating the Sharks in foot races.

Sharks defense is terrible this series. Polak and Dillon are liabilities, and Braun isn't much better. Even Vlasic looks pedestrian.

They have more trouble keeping the puck in at the blue line than any pro team I've seen in a long time, and Pitt's offensive zone time is ridiculous much of the time.

Really not a Penguins fan, but I am very impressed by their run this year. They're making a pretty good team look quite awful.

jones getting no help from his team.

Murray for Con smythe.

I've been truly impressed by Jones. Can't imagine where his team would be without him. Well, Montreal I suspect lol.

The Sabres could win this series.

I'm not surprised Pittsburgh looks like they're going to win (I picked SJ, but it's not like Pittsburgh was a 10:1 dog), but I am quite surprised the manner in which it is happening. Never expected the Pens to be so dominant.

Yup, let's give the Pens some credit here. They are the better team right now, and playing like it.

Also, for a little while now the East has been creeping up on the West, and this series is doing a great job of illustrating that so far.

With the Pens kicking butt like they are, does this mean that GMTM needs to change the blueprint for the Sabres'

rebuild? In other words, make them less like the Kings and instead go for more speed? After all, every other GM

seems to copy the current top dog...

Coller from WGR tweeted:

(If Pittsburgh closes it out), last 5 Cup winners rank in 5v5 Corsi:

Penguins (2)

Blackhawks (2)

Kings (1)

Blackhawks (4)

Kings (2)

So it's important to possess the puck? Huh. And a stat Groucho Marx came up with in the 1940s is the key to measuring it. Huh.

So. What.

Teams that win a lot also possess the puck more.

They also shoot it more and score more than the other team.

Who woulda thunk?

Is Corsi just a fancy way of saying what the old timers used to call we outplayed them?

Edited by dudacek

With the Pens kicking butt like they are, does this mean that GMTM needs to change the blueprint for the Sabres'

rebuild? In other words, make them less like the Kings and instead go for more speed? After all, every other GM

seems to copy the current top dog...

Well, bear in mind that the Kings are on that list twice. As are the Hawks, who are probably the epitome of a skilled possession team (not really a "heavy" team (?)).

I am also sure that GM TM's vision for his roster is somewhat flexible. I also don't think he's trying to straight-up replicate what the Kings built.

In the end, I hope that GM TM builds a roster that borrows elements form all of those squads -- Chicago, Pittsburgh, L.A. -- even while leaning heavily in favour of creating something similar to one of them.

So it's important to possess the puck? Huh. And a stat Groucho Marx came up with in the 1940s is the key to measuring it. Huh.

So. What.

Good morning to you, too, Sunshine.

How's the weekend forecast?

Who woulda thunk?

Is Corsi just a fancy way of saying what the old timers used to call we outplayed them?

It may be.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

It's also apparent that, in the realm of #fancystats that the clubs are using, Corsi is viewed as a relic of limited or no utility.

Who woulda thunk?

Could be, though the old timers consistently argue against exactly this line of reasoning.

Who woulda thunk?

"The ice was tilted."

San Jose consistently over pursued the puck. They tried way too hard IMHO. Multiple times I saw 4 out of 5 SJ players digging at the puck, leaving Pittsburgh wide open up the middle. This happened ALL game long. You would think the coach would fix that early in the game.

San Jose consistently over pursued the puck. They tried way too hard IMHO. Multiple times I saw 4 out of 5 SJ players digging at the puck, leaving Pittsburgh wide open up the middle. This happened ALL game long. You would think the coach would fix that early in the game.

Also way too much dump and chase.

Also way too much dump and chase.

At one point in the third period, Zubrus was out there with Pavelski and Burns, not sure who the other two players were, but he had Pavelski in stride, and then again as he stopped at the line to wait, but Zubrus didn't pass it, and then right at the line he zipped it in along the boards. It was trash. First of all, Zubrus should give it to the guys that can do something with it. Second, if you're not going to pass, Dainus, do something with it, don't give it right to the other team after forcing Pavelski to a complete stop while he waits for you. Edited by Randall Flagg

The Peguins key to success seems to be under performing stars which led to a coaching change, undrafted and low round picks who worked their off and helped change the culture of the team and some timely trades which all worked out perfectly. Sheary, Rust, Kuhnackel and Murray all came from Wilkes-Barre with Sullivan albeit Murray much later in the season. Hagelin and Daley came via trade and brought speed to burn. Not sure GMs will be lining up to steal this blueprint.

Edited by Murray's Rats

The Peguins key to success seems to be under performing stars which led to a coaching change, undrafted and low round picks who worked their ###### off and helped change the culture of the team and some timely trades which all worked out perfectly. Sheary, Rust, Kuhnackel and Murray all came from Wilkes-Barre with Sullivan albeit Murray much later in the season. Hagelin and Daley came via trade and brought speed to burn. Not sure GMs will be lining up to steal this blueprint.

In 2009... Bylsma stepped in from WBS to coach the Pens to the Cup, right?  Did they have key production from AHL call-ups or from trade acquisitions that year?  Their roster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Stanley_Cup_Finals#Pittsburgh_Penguins_2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.