Ads on NBA Jerseys (Starting 2017)

WildCard

So, adds are coming to the NBA jerseys in 2017, and will have a 3 year testing period. Each team expects $4-6m per year in revenue, which is then split among all of the teams for $120-180m total, which the players also get a share of.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18

So, how long until we're ######?

Edited by WildCard

I can't do the ads. The damn things are everywhere already. Forget outside of hockey, in the game they're already on the ice, boards, floating on your tv screen, pp, pk highlights, interviews.... everywhere. And now, the jerseys. It's unacceptable, and really, really pisses me off

We discussed this years ago and I swear I said the NBA would be first, followed by the NHL.

Bettman said he wouldn't be the first, well now his old cronies have gone and done it. He'll watch from the sideline, see how it goes, and then do it. It will start small, some simple patch like those commemorating a past owner or player, and then they'll end up like they are above. 

Bettman said he wouldn't be the first, well now his old cronies have gone and done it. He'll watch from the sideline, see how it goes, and then do it. It will start small, some simple patch like those commemorating a past owner or player, and then they'll end up like they are above. 

I think they'll eventually get to where Euro soccer jerseys are now:  A big single sponsor's logo on front with the team logo as a crest over the heart.  But that's 20 years away.  For now it will be a small patch somewhere.

I don't think it will get as bad as that pic above.

Edited by Eleven

I think they'll eventually get to where Euro soccer jerseys are now:  A big single sponsor's logo on front with the team logo as a crest over the heart.  But that's 20 years away.  For now it will be a small patch somewhere.

When I started watching the footie on the regular, it took me a while to figure out this gesture:

suarez-kissing-the-badge.png

Suarez is pictured there "kissing the badge" of Liverpool. I've seen it written that he's pissed off the Barcelona faithful because he does not kiss their badge.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This is a way to inject planned obsolescence into licensed apparel.  Not only will you have to put up with teams changing logos/colors, wearing throwbacks/thirds/anniversary/holiday jerseys, now your two year old jersey won't have the correct advertiser on the chest.  That's a nice jersey you got there, it looks just like my new one, except my new one has the Labatt and Tim Hortons logos all over it, not the First Niagara and Univera logos.

Teams will eat up the sponsorship money.  Teams will eat up the apparel money.  This won't be soccer.  NHL and NHL team sponsors aren't going to sign long term contracts.

It will be deplorable, and we will be telling our kids about the days before the uniforms were ruined.

So, adds are coming to the NBA jerseys in 2017, and will have a 3 year testing period. Each team expects $4-6m per year in revenue, which is then split among all of the teams for $120-180m total, which the players also get a share of.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18

So, how long until we're ######?

Just another reason to hate the NBA even more.

I'm making you a promise. I will never buy a jersey with a sponsorship on it. I'll just keep buying jerseys on eBay from the old days and I'll be content with that.

Yeh i hear you man....

This is a way to inject planned obsolescence into licensed apparel.  Not only will you have to put up with teams changing logos/colors, wearing throwbacks/thirds/anniversary/holiday jerseys, now your two year old jersey won't have the correct advertiser on the chest.  That's a nice jersey you got there, it looks just like my new one, except my new one has the Labatt and Tim Hortons logos all over it, not the First Niagara and Univera logos.

Teams will eat up the sponsorship money.  Teams will eat up the apparel money.  This won't be soccer.  NHL and NHL team sponsors aren't going to sign long term contracts.

It will be deplorable, and we will be telling our kids about the days before the uniforms were ruined.

Teams will have to pay me to wear those jerseys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.