2016 IHFF World Championships

Brawndo

Finland is full of confidence as a hockey nation. They've been getting medals at the Olympics, won the World Juniors and I believe the U18 this year. That is impressive for a smaller country.

If you think that's impressive, you should Google the Winter War.

Canada pots one, and where is Reinhart? Right in front of the net, causing mayhem, as usual.

If you think that's impressive, you should Google the Winter War.

Canada pots one, and where is Reinhart? Right in front of the net, causing mayhem, as usual.

And he had another assist on their first goal.

ROR had one on the 3rd goal. 

Fasching got one too. 

Sabres all over the ice today. Fasching looks like NHL power forward against top quality opponents. Reinhart getting all kinds of PT after not seeing the ice much in games prior. McCabe excelling at jumping down on weak side and was just robbed on the game tying goal.

All good things. When does the season start?

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but what's the feeling on Eich sitting this one out? Larkin is out there, as are other young players coming off long seasons. Too good for it? Plain exhaustion?

Sabres all over the ice today. Fasching looks like NHL power forward against top quality opponents. Reinhart getting all kinds of PT after not seeing the ice much in games prior. McCabe excelling at jumping down on weak side and was just robbed on the game tying goal.

All good things. When does the season start?

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but what's the feeling on Eich sitting this one out? Larkin is out there, as are other young players coming off long seasons. Too good for it? Plain exhaustion?

I think he was nicked up the latter part of the season while playing through minor, nagging injuries. It's my bet he was strongly advised by the organization to take the time off, heal up, and get serious with an offseason nutrition and training program. I think the rest will have done him good. 

GO SABRES!!!

Laine wins MVP of the tourney

Laine put up the second most points by a U19 player in history with 12 points in 10 games, just short of Sidney Crosby’s 16 points. His seven goals were the most by any player in the tournament, and his 12 points ranked fourth.

http://thehockeywriters.com/patrik-laine-named-mvp-world-championship/

Edited by WildCard

Realistically Shipachyov should have won MVP, he had 6 more points than Laine did. Laine had a spectacular tournament, but if I remember correctly he didn't score a goal against any of the "good" teams.

Nyquist equaled him in goals, actually, in less games. Great tournament for Laine, nonetheless.

OK, for real:  Does anyone give a about this crappy tournament?  The best pros are in the playoffs, and even young players skip it (Eichel is hardly the first.)  It's not televised anywhere except for Canadian second-tier cable.  

IIHF Juniors?  Now that's another thing.  We all love that.

But what the hell was this tournament, who cared, and well, some country won?  Great.

USA Hockey seems to consider it a bonus tourney, but it's still a big deal in Europe, maybe the big deal.

Maybe Modo or Huck can weigh in on the latter

I think USA Hockey essentially treats it as long term development for the Olympic teams. I can't think of any other good reason that they invite so many prospects.

I think USA Hockey essentially treats it as long term development for the Olympic teams. I can't think of any other good reason that they invite so many prospects.

The older established NHL players have families and such, and they have short amount of time to spend with them in the off-season.

North American players grow up dreaming of winning a Stanley Cup.    European's dream of World Championship and Olympic glory.

And then you have Auston Matthews who dreams of making fat stacks yo. 

Edited by pi2000

The older established NHL players have families and such, and they have short amount of time to spend with them in the off-season.

North American players grow up dreaming of winning a Stanley Cup. European's dream of World Championship and Olympic glory.

And then you have Auston Matthews who dreams of making fat stacks yo.

Will you eat crow when Matthews becomes a very good/elite NHL player? Or will you pretend you never spent his draft year trashing him? And you've made some quite hyperbolic statements that make me think you don't even believe he'll be a solid, unspectacular player. What's your predicted path for his career?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.