2016 IHFF World Championships

Brawndo

Thanks for posting this.  

Another thing I learned is Mackinnon was being viewed as the next Crosby (similar to McDavid/Eichel, now Mathews).  Seems the top guy is almost always looked at as the next 'generational' type player.

You're most welcome. I just Googled a few players' names from the top 10 that year, and limited the search to this site. Boom.

And you're quite right on MacKinnon. It's a fallacy to think that every year there's a player at that level. Shoot. A team can count itself lucky if there's a player at or near Eichel's (prospect) level.

I'd take Barkov, MacKinnon, and Risto before Monahan from that draft, but that's it.

I'd take Barkov and Risto over Monahan but MacKinnon has either been completely boned by Sakic and Roy or he wasn't as good as first advertised. 

• 2 weeks later...

USA in a shootout (literal one, like to decide the game) with CZE in the quarter finals?

Auston Matthews with the GWG in the shootout. USA advances.

Fwiw, that shootout goal by Matthews (as seen on that Stephanie gal's Twitter (she is the greatest thing on the planet, btw)) was weirdly precise -- clinical. Not a move I can recall seeing before. Not really a move at all. Wish I could post it here. Can't figure out how to do that right now.

USA in a shootout (literal one, like to decide the game) with CZE in the quarter finals?

Fwiw, that shootout goal by Matthews (as seen on that Stephanie gal's Twitter (she is the greatest thing on the planet, btw)) was weirdly precise -- clinical. Not a move I can recall seeing before. Not really a move at all. Wish I could post it here. Can't figure out how to do that right now.

Can you at least give us Stephanie's twitter name so we can find it?

Can you at least give us Stephanie's twitter name so we can find it?

Ha! After I received catcalls from certain corners of this community for being ignorant of her until recently.

Anyway, here she is:

https://twitter.com/myregularface

She regularly posts GIFs of very recent highlights re all things hockey.

Oh yeah.  I know who she is.

Ah, so I am still apparently late in knowing who she is.

If you scroll down Stephanie's twitter page, you will find a gif of Matthew's shootout goal. Nothing spectacular. More poor goalie technique than anything special by Matthews. 

I agree with this to a point. I was impressed that he had the patience and calm to see that opening in that setting (a world championship tourney) - it was a little like Eichel's casual flip between the goalie's pads to win that game in OT.

Ah, so I am still apparently late in knowing who she is.

I agree with this to a point. I was impressed that he had the patience and calm to see that opening in that setting (a world championship tourney) - it was a little like Eichel's casual flip between the goalie's pads to win that game in OT.

I agree and I didn't mean to take anything away from Matthews. There is a lot to be said for poise; it's perhaps the most important aspect a playmaker possesses. It just wasn't a highlight of sick stick handling and moves that I thought I was going to see. 

GO SABRES!!!

I agree and I didn't mean to take anything away from Matthews. There is a lot to be said for poise; it's perhaps the most important aspect a playmaker possesses. It just wasn't a highlight of sick stick handling and moves that I thought I was going to see. 

GO SABRES!!!

He certainly made it look easy.   It's not an easy move to pull off, the majority of NHL'ers would lose the puck trying to dangle it back and forth so quickly and still get a shot off.    Certainly not a flashy move, but very high level difficulty and effective.    

That said, he will never live up to expectations at the NHL level :)

He certainly made it look easy.   It's not an easy move to pull off, the majority of NHL'ers would lose the puck trying to dangle it back and forth so quickly and still get a shot off.    Certainly not a flashy move, but very high level difficulty and effective.    

This made me laugh. Much appreciated on a crappy day. 

GO SABRES!!!

Have you seen "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story"? I picture you as the dad, sweeping out the barn, taking a walk, whatever, and always humming to yourself, but instead of "The wrong kid died", like in the movie, just "Matthews will never live up!" Or something of the like.

It's awesome.

This is what I hate most about Toronto winning the lottery: I should be happier about this than I am. Here we have a budding American superstar who should be a key cog at the Olympics in a few years when the US ices a team with a legit chance at a gold medal...and I hate him because of the NHL team he's going to play for. Yea, I've got problems.

This is what I hate most about Toronto winning the lottery: I should be happier about this than I am. Here we have a budding American superstar who should be a key cog at the Olympics in a few years when the US ices a team with a legit chance at a gold medal...and I hate him because of the NHL team he's going to play for. Yea, I've got problems.

Hey man, last World Championships, I routed for the USA as much, if not more than Canada because Eichel was on the team, and I knew he was going to be a Sabre. Sometimes our NHL loyalties come before nationalistic pride. It's okay!

this is where im at as well

Hey man, last World Championships, I routed for the USA as much, if not more than Canada because Eichel was on the team, and I knew he was going to be a Sabre. Sometimes our NHL loyalties come before nationalistic pride. It's okay!

And I actually felt bad for Miller when Sid scored the winner in the gold medal game instead of feeling ecstatic that Canada won. Weird. Soon got over that feeling but I know what you mean.

And I actually felt bad for Miller when Sid scored the winner in the gold medal game instead of feeling ecstatic that Canada won. Weird. Soon got over that feeling but I know what you mean.

I hear ya. In the moment I was just happy, but I couldn't help but feel sad for Miller after, especially after seeing his disappointment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.