2016 IHFF World Championships

Brawndo

Figure it's about time to get this started. Although Jack is taking a well deserved break, the Sabres will be well represented.

Jake McCabe was selected to the US Team today

Samson and ROR as previously mentioned are playing for Team Canada

Risto for the Finns

Not sure why Jack is taking a break and ROR isn't

for ROR, it will likely help his World Cup chances if he has a good tournament.

Eichel has been playing hockey non-stop for a year and half... BU, world juniors, frozen four, world championships, draft combine, dev camp, etc...   he deserves a well earned break.

It's nice to see that Sam got picked for Canada. Definitely deserves it. It should help boost his chances at a team NA selection as well.

Wasn't expecting this.    

He'll probably play on O'Reilly's wing.    

McDavid and Domi also on the team...  maybe they re-unite Domi and Reinhart?    

Wasn't expecting this.    

He'll probably play on O'Reilly's wing.    

McDavid and Domi also on the team...  maybe they re-unite Domi and Reinhart?

Makes sense. But I'd really like to see him play C for Canada. (Get a chance to see him do it w/out breaking up DD's 1 set pair heading into October.)

He most assuredly would have been, but I thought I read somewhere he was skipping.

Because he is essentially without a contract, Finland won't allow him to play due to injury concerns. Players under contract get releases from their clubs that indicate that in the event of injury the conduct of playing will not invalidate their contract.

Because he is essentially without a contract, Finland won't allow him to play due to injury concerns. Players under contract get releases from their clubs that indicate that in the event of injury the conduct of playing will not invalidate their contract.

Makes sense. I thought it would be Ristolainen choosing not to play, so he wouldn't potentially jeopardize his next deal. But it's Finland that says no? Because they would have to insure him?

Edited by Thorny

Makes sense. I thought it would be Ristolainen choosing not to play, so he wouldn't potentially jeopardize his next deal. But it's Finland that says no? Because they would have to ensure him?

That's correct. Similarly, USA Hockey or Hockey Canada would have to ensure their players. That would be cost prohibitive. It is also the problem facing future participation in the Olympics. The worlds are a great way for young players to develop, and the contracts are usually low (Oreilly being and exception). But after the Tavares injury, the NHL is rethinking the value of disrupting their season, for an exhibition with a lot of downside.

That's correct. Similarly, USA Hockey or Hockey Canada would have to ensure their players. That would be cost prohibitive. It is also the problem facing future participation in the Olympics. The worlds are a great way for young players to develop, and the contracts are usually low (Oreilly being and exception). But after the Tavares injury, the NHL is rethinking the value of disrupting their season, for an exhibition with a lot of downside.

Ya, I saw Elliotte Friedman talking yesterday about the major hiccup in Olympics discussions being that the IOC is not wanting to insure the hockey players and cover travel costs, and that's a non-starter for the league.

Ya, I saw Elliotte Friedman talking yesterday about the major hiccup in Olympics discussions being that the IOC is not wanting to insure the hockey players and cover travel costs, and that's a non-starter for the league.

Good.  I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I do not want NHL'ers in the 2018 Olympics in Korea.  Attendance will be minimal.  Viewership will be minimal (at least in North America) due to time differences.  Jet lag will be brutal for players returning to the NHL afterwards.  It's not worth it.  If it's in NA or Europe, great, sign me up.  But it's not.

• 2 weeks later...

And I hate to say it but I agree with the league. Why should the NHL be on the hook if one of its players gets injured playing in an IOC game? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.