2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

I have no problem with the "kick", but when the hell did the "net being completely off the moorings" become the the deciding factor?

No way that was a goal and here's why.

In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions of a defending player, the puck must have been shot (or the player must be in the act of shooting) at the goal prior to the goal post being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

The puck would have never entered the net if it was in it's normal position.

Was the puck "shot"? Is a redirect with the skate a shot? Not by the letter of the rule, but by the spirit of it, yes.

I think you've identified the key question Swamp. But, wow, that's almost impossible to tell. Are you saying if the net had remained in place, the puck would have been pinned against the bar? Maybe that the puck and net were lifted up together?

The league could also have ruled that the puck crossed the line before the net was dislodged.

As I suspected:

At 3:54 of the second period in the Wild/Stars game, the Situation Room initiated a video review to further examine a play at the Minnesota net. Video review determined that the puck crossed the Minnesota goal line in a legal fashion prior to the net being displaced. According to Rule 78.4 "The goal frame shall be considered in its proper position when at least a portion of the flexible peg(s) are still inside both the goal post and the hole in the ice". Good goal Dallas.

https://www.nhl.com/news/situation-room-wild-stars/c-280343660?tid=277729160

Was the puck "shot"? Is a redirect with the skate a shot? Not by the letter of the rule, but by the spirit of it, yes.

I think you've identified the key question Swamp. But, wow, that's almost impossible to tell. Are you saying if the net had remained in place, the puck would have been pinned against the bar? Maybe that the puck and net were lifted up together?

The league could also have ruled that the puck crossed the line before the net was dislodged.

As I suspected:

https://www.nhl.com/news/situation-room-wild-stars/c-280343660?tid=277729160

Yes.

I still say no goal. The puck may have crossed the line, but if the net were in it's proper position, it would have crossed the line above the crossbar.

Yes.

I still say no goal. The puck may have crossed the line, but if the net were in it's proper position, it would have crossed the line above the crossbar.

Yeah, and that's the whole reason for the rule. Its to protect the integrity of the net opening. When the net is lifted up three inches, that just isn't the case.

Yeah, and that's the whole reason for the rule. Its to protect the integrity of the net opening. When the net is lifted up three inches, that just isn't the case.

The league didn't apply that rule. In their eyes, the net was not displaced before the puck crossed the line.

Yes.

But according to the league's definition there is more than one "proper" position for the net: with the pegs seated and with the pegs lifted up but still in the ice.

How in the world does Chicago come out of that scrum with a PP? 99/100 that's even calls there. Chicago of course scores on the PP. This is getting out of hand. I have no horse in this race and I'm rather incredulous in regards to the officiating when it comes to the Hawks.

I don't care for Hitchcock, but he was right about the officiating when it comes to these guys.

Edited by Thorny

Oh brother, now a challenge, what a joke.

I remember that time the flyers scored through the outside of the net was bad, but this crap is worse. Play the game

3 consecutive years the Sabres lost a playoff round due to an attrocious call (or 2) that caused the league to revise their rules. :angry:

Either that, or they just don't care, I always thought they let a lot go in the playoffs, typically is true, this year I've seen some junk in general throughout all the games I've seen.

There have been some bad calls here and there, this Hawks Blues series has been the most odd though. Game one Philly and Caps too, thought Philly got a rough go of it.

St. Louis scores on the PP. Amazing what getting some of those can do!

Crawford routinely turns into the best goalie in the world come playoff time. Chicago's greatest strength in recent playoff success is their defending and goaltending, contrary to what their talented offensive parts would have one think, initially.

Crawford routinely turns into the best goalie in the world come playoff time. Chicago's greatest strength in recent playoff success is their defending and goaltending, contrary to what their talented offensive parts would have one think, initially.

Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson(sp?), and whomever. Plus Rosival as a savvy sixth. Every year!

And Crawford might just be the most underrated goalie in the last ten years. If you can pay your perennial Conn Smyther low-starter money, more power to you.

Also. I'm no Hitchcock fan (the coach, not the director.) but really. He needs to grow his mustache back in. Maybe even beard himself.

Did I just hear Doc use the Rayism "a-tall"?

-------—------------------------------------------(why do we have post merging)

So I'm just going to assume the league missed the Abdelkader assault, the one that should get him suspended one game for a fight in the last 5 minutes, the rule (42.77?) that was created to stop teams from 'sending a message'.

Man, with all those TV's in Toronto you'd think somebody would have seen it. They must have went out for a smoke.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Did I just hear Doc use the Rayism "a-tall"?

-------—------------------------------------------(why do we have post merging)

So I'm just going to assume the league missed the Abdelkader assault, the one that should get him suspended one game for a fight in the last 5 minutes, the rule (42.77?) that was created to stop teams from 'sending a message'.

Man, with all those TV's in Toronto you'd think somebody would have seen it. They must have went out for a smoke.

"a-tall" is a Canadianism, not a Rob Ray thing.  You may recall Harry Neale; same thing.

Abdelkaler belongs in a prison somewhere.

Man, even if I liked the challenge, I'd want there to be a way to do it that doesn't kill all momentum for one team in the wait time, and then give it all to the other team. I know that's not reasonable, but the momentum the Islanders gain from just keeping the game as it was is ridiculous. And there they score after drawing two penalties.

Like, if the ref had blown the play dead correctly at the time, no way that 5 on 3 or goal happen. It just doesn't feel right.

Good on the Panthers for rebounding. 

Reilly Smith is a beast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.