GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 4-8-2016

WildCard

I will be and I identified both culprits. If you don't think the nhl listens to owners, well I do.

Oh it wont be just merchandise. I'm spending 0 on the nhl. No nhl tv no going to a game no nothing.

Are you going to buy products from those companies that advertise during NHL broadcasts?

GO SABRES!!!

Are you going to buy products from those companies that advertise during NHL broadcasts?

GO SABRES!!!

Don't know. Probably not much.

I really don't understand why some of you gave a problem with being angry. We've suffered for years but whatever.

Edited by LGR4GM

I really don't understand why some of you gave a problem with being angry. We've suffered for years but whatever.

I have no problem with anyone being angry, I'm just pointing out that in support of that anger, it's harder to boycott than you might think. We put money in the NHL coffers simply by buying the products advertisers sell during their broadcasts, whether we watch/listen to them or not. It's hard to escape. 

GO SABRES!!!

Though I don't care about what you and others are angry about, I don't really blame anyone for being a bit peeved about last night. However, given the last few years of the Darcy era, followed by two full seasons of tanking, I find fan appreciation night not being on TV in your area an odd ledge to jump off of.

When's Poster Appreciation Day? Or maybe just a "thanks"? And here's the opening faceoff here in Hell...

I'm fine with that. Do you have something in mind?

FWIW, when I have met anyone here on the board I know I have bought the beers, if not picked up entire evenings (my memory isn't all that great). Always have and always will.

I'm fine with that. Do you have something in mind?

FWIW, when I have met anyone here on the board I know I have bought the beers, if not picked up entire evenings (my memory isn't all that great). Always have and always will.

We should meet up, for steaks

Overall the game wasn't a complete shitshow. The Sabres had plenty of chances but were stopped by some good saves and determined effort on the Blue Jackets part. The goals against were all a result of pretty bad team breakdowns and Kasdorf not being used to NHL shooting. The NHL should make an acception for providers that don't carry NHL network and allow it on Center Ice.

The NHL wants TV providers to carry NHL Network, they're not going to give them a pass. The only way TV channels get picked up by a provider is enough people call to tell their TV company they want it.

The thing is Cable companies and the model they use is a relic.  The age of streaming is here and cable will die. People will be buying and watching things a la carte.

I tend to agree, but I don't think it's coming very soon. If nothing else, the long-term sports contracts keep people locked into having cable. It'll be interesting to see though, since I don't know that there's enough money out there to maintain the amount of stuff that's on cable if people have to pony up real money too watch it. I have a hard time believing the NHL reaps $1B (that's roughly what NBC is paying out, right?) via a la carte. There are a lot of people (many here, I bet) that like to watch the Sabres but aren't going to spend $170 or even $50 per season to do it. Even at $50/yr, you'd need 20M subscribers to get those numbers. To but that in perspective, the Blackhawks average 205,000 viewers per game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.