GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 4-8-2016

WildCard

I'm telling you, that building had the worst atmosphere of the season tonight....on fan appreciation night no less. These games just suck to go to right now. It has to be one of the top 5 worst place to see a sporting event right now - total silence

I could hear "Let's go Sabres" chants in the first period when they were attacking. It really looked like Buffalo was going to win then. I'm sure all the air was let out when Kasdorf got lit up like a Christmas tree. Edited by PromoTheRobot

To your first sentence: I was just correcting what you said.  "Let's take away November, he's still at .923".  No, taking away November, he's at .914.  Taking away everything from November and prior, he's .920.  .923 is nowhere to be found.

To your next point, he's 15th if you want a minimum of 25 games.

But let's make that 21 games, so we can include our own Lehner on the list.

With a minimum of 21 games played, Chad is 17th.  Lehner is 6th.

If a team has won 9 of 11 games, do you skip those 2 losses and say they've won 9 straight? Why would you skip November and not October?

And no, he wouldn't be 15th on that list because he wouldn't be on that list.

I very disappointed in the Sabres organization tonight. The game was blacked out on game center and they started a rookie goalie for "fan appreciation" night. You guys gave 0 fu#KS about your fans tonight.

I agree, it was kind of weak to go playing these guys when a win should have been the main focus. But the league is the one at fault for not airing the game. If the NHL is going to have its own channel, they need to make it accessible to those that pay to watch hockey. Not every carrier offers the NHL Network. 

And no, he wouldn't be 15th on that list because he wouldn't be on that list.

What are you talking about?  First you say "In that case he is 13th out of 44" and now you say "he wouldn't be on that list."

If a team has won 9 of 11 games, do you skip those 2 losses and say they've won 9 straight? Why would you skip November and not October?

I'm just using your own words.  "Let's take away November."  Are you confused by what you yourself are posting?  Because it's really beginning to look like it.

What are you talking about?  First you say "In that case he is 13th out of 44" and now you say "he wouldn't be on that list."

I'm just using your own words.  "Let's take away November."  Are you confused by what you yourself are posting?  Because it's really beginning to look like it.

You said to take away November, and not October. And then proceed to tell me his save percentage minus November. Why would you choose a time frame and omit one month in between? It's one thing to focus on a particular time frame because something changed at some point. (i.e. record since the all-star game, goals in the last two months............) it's another to mention somebody's save percentage from the start of the season minus a month in between. Who would do that? 

And my bad, between going back and forth between Lehner and Johnson, I read your post as Lehner being 15th, not Johnson.  ;)

Minimum 10 games, it's actually 22nd, not 13th.

Also, if you take away November (and only November), then he's .914.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I very disappointed in the Sabres organization tonight. The game was blacked out on game center and they started a rookie goalie for "fan appreciation" night. You guys gave 0 fu#KS about your fans tonight.

Wow, I was completely unaware of this.  I was busy with moving in to our new apartment with my GF, so I only saw the sparring highlights.  That is very disheartening on fan appreciation night of all nights.  Kasdorf had a tough assignment.  As usual the CBJ are healthier in the second half and playing much better hockey....with 2 games to play!  

It fits into a theme though, as nicely outlined in John Vogl's piece in the News on Sunday. The fans don't feel appreciated. Think Russ Brandon gives two shits?

Russ Brandon is the living embodiment of "The Peter Principle".  Disgraceful that he's now got his hooks into the Sabres organization too.  

Russ Brandon is a bean counter corporatized suit and tie only cares about graphs.  He lives at the intersection of the overhead and income axis.  He only cares if and when tickets get unsold.  He could care less about the Win-Loss numbers of the teams;  that stat only matters to Brandon if it affects ticket sales.  And he's all about the quick fix and hype to generate quick turn revenue.    

Russ Brandon is the living embodiment of "The Peter Principle".  Disgraceful that he's now got his hooks into the Sabres organization too.  

Russ Brandon is a bean counter corporatized suit and tie only cares about graphs.  He lives at the intersection of the overhead and income axis.  He only cares if and when tickets get unsold.  He could care less about the Win-Loss numbers of the teams;  that stat only matters to Brandon if it affects ticket sales.  And he's all about the quick fix and hype to generate quick turn revenue.    

Peter Principle: See also Larry Quinn?

Not only that but... I think the vast majority of fans have slapped aside the notion of wanting to lose/mini-tank for draft position because they think winning is more important now. And the team certainly adopted that mindset. Same apparently with coaching and management. Then, at the last second, they spit out the bit, instead of playing like they needed two wins to make the playoffs, or like they were down 3-2 in a playoff series. Just a crummy way to end the season at home. AND people pay good money to see NHL players. Hope Kasdorfonhockey enjoyed his game though.

The blackout wasn't the Sabres' fault.  

And I thought a lot of people wanted to see Kasdorf?

The blackout wasn't the Sabres' fault.

And I thought a lot of people wanted to see Kasdorf?

The Sabres most assuredly could have gotten the nhl to make that game free or available to out of town fans. They didn't. It is their fault. The nhl has free games all the time and the Sabres failed at getting one for fan night. Further more they let the nhl black out a game. It was and I have every right to blame them.

Kasdorf at home, on fan night? It was a tank move and a kick to the groin for a fan base that has suffered. I won't be spending any money on the nhl for the rest of 2016. The Sabres were disgraceful last night on fan appreciation night. them, that was our fans will kiss are ass no matter what night.

Edited by LGR4GM

It wasn't my favorite thing that Kasdorf got the start last night, but part of him signing his contract was likely a verbal agreement that he'd get a game in, and he was injured to this point. They then chose to use him in a game against a team that wasn't likely playing for playoff positioning, so wouldn't be as difficult an opponent. I understand their decision even if I wouldn't have made the same one.

The Sabres continue to be terrible at presentations/ceremonies. It was an awkward night.

The Sabres most assuredly could have gotten the nhl to make that game free or available to out of town fans. They didn't. It is their fault. The nhl has free games all the time and the Sabres failed at getting one for fan night. Further more they let the nhl black out a game. It was ###### and I have every right to blame them.

Kasdorf at home, on fan night? It was a tank ###### move and a kick to the groin for a fan base that has suffered. I won't be spending any money on the nhl for the rest of 2016. The Sabres were disgraceful last night on fan appreciation night. ###### them, that was our fans will kiss are ass no matter what night.

They looked horrible, that's for sure.

I still think people wanted to see Kasdorf.  I know I did, and from this board, I can tell there were others.

I don't know what the NHL does with lifting blackouts.  I do know that games on NHLN are blacked out on Game Center.  If there's something you think the Sabres could have done about it, please provide a specific example where a team was able to have the blackout lifted.

The nhl has free games on nhl network and nhl tv almost every week. The Sabres have a degree of control over their schedule and tv things. This game wasn't a nbc one. The nhl had direct control over how it was broadcast. The Sabres didn't ensure it was broadcast to the majority of out of town fans. So I will be outraged by the lack of caring and they can piss off.

They could have ensured the fans who paid $$$$ all year to watch them could actually watch them on "fan appreciation night"

It's a joke.

Edited by LGR4GM

The nhl has free games on nhl network and nhl tv almost every week. The Sabres have a degree of control over their schedule and tv things. This game wasn't a nbc one. The nhl had direct control over how it was broadcast. The Sabres didn't ensure it was broadcast to the majority of out of town fans. So I will be outraged by the lack of caring and they can piss off.

I think your anger on this issue is misdirected.  You even identify the culprit above.  But hey, be mad at the organization if you want; I can't stop you (and I certainly don't care who does or doesn't buy merchandise).

I think your anger on this issue is misdirected. You even identify the culprit above. But hey, be mad at the organization if you want; I can't stop you (and I certainly don't care who does or doesn't buy merchandise).

I will be and I identified both culprits. If you don't think the nhl listens to owners, well I do.

Oh it wont be just merchandise. I'm spending 0 on the nhl. No nhl tv no going to a game no nothing.

Edited by LGR4GM

NHL Network is considered a national network just like NBC Sports. If there's a game on NBC it's not shown on GameCenter (NHL.TV) either. There is nothing the team can do. Unfortunately NHLN isn't as widely available as NBC.

I'm sure they can change their guidelines during the offseason, but they can't make a one game exception. I am just as pissed about it but I put full blame on Napoleon.

They looked horrible, that's for sure.

I still think people wanted to see Kasdorf.  I know I did, and from this board, I can tell there were others.

I don't know what the NHL does with lifting blackouts.  I do know that games on NHLN are blacked out on Game Center.  If there's something you think the Sabres could have done about it, please provide a specific example where a team was able to have the blackout lifted.

Kasorf might be one of our future goalies and I'm with you in wanting to see him get some action, to bad he was injured.

Johnson deserves to play the last game anyway.

I will be and I identified both culprits. If you don't think the nhl listens to owners, well I do.

Oh it wont be just merchandise. I'm spending 0 on the nhl. No nhl tv no going to a game no nothing.

You don't think this is at all an over the top reaction to one game not being on? And all because it was tagged as fan appreciation night (a label, I might add, designed for the fans in the arena and the subsequent jersey giveaway)? I can understand being annoyed, but this response is quite disproportionate. 

Overall the game wasn't a complete shitshow. The Sabres had plenty of chances but were stopped by some good saves and determined effort on the Blue Jackets part. The goals against were all a result of pretty bad team breakdowns and Kasdorf not being used to NHL shooting. The NHL should make an acception for providers that don't carry NHL network and allow it on Center Ice.

It wasn't my favorite thing that Kasdorf got the start last night, but part of him signing his contract was likely a verbal agreement that he'd get a game in, and he was injured to this point. They then chose to use him in a game against a team that wasn't likely playing for playoff positioning, so wouldn't be as difficult an opponent. I understand their decision even if I wouldn't have made the same one.

The Sabres continue to be terrible at presentations/ceremonies. It was an awkward night.

Yep, take it w/ a grain of salt or for whatever it's worth. On GR, TM stated that they'd told Kasdorf (prior to signing) that they'd "try" to get him a game w/ no guarantee he'd get 1 (or more). His injury kept it from being a possibility earlier. TM also stated that they didn't want playing a rookie w/out even an AHL scrimmage game to his name as being the determining factor in a playoff race. (He didn't want to be seen favoring either NYC-based team. A very reasonable sentiment (especially when you want to avoid drafting 12th or later, says the cynic ;)).

I, selfishly, would have rather seen Johnson last night and Kasdorf today, as I don't have tix tonight, if they did feel they owed him a start. I also am ok w/ giving him the start even though I really wanted to sse them over an NHL-0.500 because it's another example of them trying to do right by players when possible. (Sending Weber & McGinn to serious contenders when the decision to move them had been made being a couple more.) That little bit of knowing they'll be treated well might (theoretically, at least) be the difference in landing an FA or not.

And there really can't be many top tier professional teams that screw up ceremonies/ special occassions worse than the Sabres do.

If you ask me , there are too many ceremonies as it is. Too much circus show, not enough entertainment from the product on the ice. If the league was as entertaining as it was 10-15 years ago there wouldn't be a need for a side show.

But, nobody asked me. :angel:

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.