Lehner has Ankle Surgery Out for Season

Brawndo

I still don't see it. Lehner's cost, injury history, and playing experience (which he has been average at) relative to Ullmark makes Ullmark's prospects more exciting

Lehner was hot and cold in the NHL this year. I'd give him a grade of "pretty good." Ullmark was good for a rookie (and then went cold) and then struggled in the A. Lehner is the better goalie at this time, and the one I'm more excited about. Edited by qwksndmonster

This will pretty much be my only post on this subject.   Sorry I'm to drunk to read any of the above :P

I think Lehner has been decent this year, I think he had something to prove for himself and for Murray.

A high ankle sprain is more difficult to treat than a bone fracture.

That they decide for a new surgery is not good, but might just be the best option.  He now has an extra month to get back into shape.

They decided in time to call it quits on this season and we'll hopefully have a healty #1 goalie with him.

We should sign Chad to a 2 year contract to be sure if  lehner has a setback, Its not good to be in this situation

but I don't want to miss the playoffs because we missed out on an experienced goalie and to be honest chad deserves this.

Edit: if you don't get chad back in time, contact the canucks and offer them a 3rd for miller , :D

Edited by Huckleberry

Ugh. Not only did we give up a one for Lehner, but we had a perfectly serviceable starting goalie in Michal Neuvirth who we swapped for Johnson from the Islanders. I hope GMTM's body of work offsets his goalie deals.

You don't think ROR, Kane, Reinhart and Bogosian offset that a bit?

I feel bad for Lehner and I hope he recovers. He still doesn't pass my eyeball test.

Interesting.. I thought he did way better than expected considering the injury and slow start to the season.  I'm actually opposite, I think he surpassed overall expectations and looked like the answer to our starting goalie situation

Clean up the ankle get him ready for next season was the right call

Interesting.. I thought he did way better than expected considering the injury and slow start to the season.  I'm actually opposite, I think he surpassed overall expectations and looked like the answer to our starting goalie situation

Clean up the ankle get him ready for next season was the right call

I think that's fair. I should wait and see how he is next season before really judging him.

Also his surgery was successful, not sure if this was posted previously.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=876353

I think that's fair. I should wait and see how he is next season before really judging him.

Also his surgery was successful, not sure if this was posted previously.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=876353

Yeah its still a toss up given the injury history and small body of work, but he played well for us and you have to figure the team in front of him is going to improve greatly next year.  From all the reports though he was a real leader on and off the ice too

I'm not sure Lehner is the answer long-term; its a lot easier to have an acceptable level of play for a team no one expects to win than on a team that carries high expectations. That will be the true test.

That said, over a 20-game sample he did pass the eyeball test for me.

I knew he had elite size and athleticism, I had concern about his focus and technique.

The concern hasn't disappeared, but he appeared to be very dialled in for all but a couple games and he bounced back well after a shaky start. He has to fix that half-butterfly he uses when an attacker is at a sharp angle at the half-wall.

I also really like that his compete level seemed not only high, but very team focused; the man wants to be a leader on this team.

I like that Murray seems to seek out players who want to be the guy.

I also like how he fought through what is a bad injury for goalies and hope the surgery allows him to be in top form come training camp. If he was battling an ankle all year, then haven't seen him at his best, and he was pretty good while hampered.

If his ceiling is what we saw this year over 60 games, then it looks like he is a capable NHL goalie.

Given the track record of picks in the bottom third of the first round, I am very happy with the trade.

Edited by dudacek

You don't think ROR, Kane, Reinhart and Bogosian offset that a bit?

The ROR trade was a good one. The only good one in my opinion. You can look at what we gave up for Kane and Bogo as too much along the same lines as the lehner trade. I'm not sure how reinhart fits in here since we tanked for him, not traded for him.

Oh and neuvirth had been in the vezina conversation for most of the year until his injury and Murray did not push hard to sign him even though we needed a goalie, he was ok for us last year, and seemingly would have been OK with coming back here. Our first and neuvirth is better than lehner in my opinion.

This may seem obvious but isn't the 1st rounder we gave up for Lehner (and Legwand) irrelevant in a "Lehner vs. Ullmark vs. Johnson vs. etc" argument?

It's highly relevant in a GMTM assessment discussion but...seems to come up in the former as much as the latter.

Anyway there's a lot to like about both Lehner and Ullmark. Lehner has a larger body of work (no one has mentioned his stellar 2010-11 run to the AHL Championship) but has the injury history whereas Ullmark would seem to have more upside but needs time to prove it out.

I don't get too wrapped up in small bodies of work for goalies, as in less than 1 season. If we are talking 20-30 games in the NHL or AHL as a data point it's useful but only in the context of the rest of their career as save % can vary quite a bit.

I am looking forward to seeing if the alleged changes in goalie equipment size next year will increase scoring, and more to the point will it increase scoring less with large goaltenders like our Swede's who will still need large size equipment.   

Some on here used the goal support argument against me when I tried to support my case for Enroth, telling me that the team is sometimes more comfortable with certain goaltenders in net so they might play a less conservative game. So let's apply it here, something to keep in mind.

There are 57 goaltenders to play 750+ minutes so far this year. Here are the three Sabres rankings.

Johnson: 19th (2.21/60 minutes)

Ullmark: 56th (1.33/60 minutes)

Lehner 57th (1.26/60 minutes) 

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201516&sit=5v5&pos=goalies&minutes=750&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=F60&sortdir=DESC

This may seem obvious but isn't the 1st rounder we gave up for Lehner (and Legwand) irrelevant in a "Lehner vs. Ullmark vs. Johnson vs. etc" argument?

It's highly relevant in a GMTM assessment discussion but...seems to come up in the former as much as the latter.

Anyway there's a lot to like about both Lehner and Ullmark. Lehner has a larger body of work (no one has mentioned his stellar 2010-11 run to the AHL Championship) but has the injury history whereas Ullmark would seem to have more upside but needs time to prove it out.

I don't get too wrapped up in small bodies of work for goalies, as in less than 1 season. If we are talking 20-30 games in the NHL or AHL as a data point it's useful but only in the context of the rest of their career as save % can vary quite a bit.

I am looking forward to seeing if the alleged changes in goalie equipment size next year will increase scoring, and more to the point will it increase scoring less with large goaltenders like our Swede's who will still need large size equipment.   

It is relevant when you consider we had Michal Neuvirth and traded him away. We could have just signed him and kept the 1st. Anders Lindback would have been an adequate #2.

I was all for keeping Neuvirth, even after hearing the Caps fans talk about how frail he is, always getting hurt. When I heard about him getting hurt for the 17th time this year with the Flyers, I wasn't so disappointed after all.

I'll give Lehner next year to see if the injuries follow him the same way.

The ROR trade was a good one. The only good one in my opinion. You can look at what we gave up for Kane and Bogo as too much along the same lines as the lehner trade. I'm not sure how reinhart fits in here since we tanked for him, not traded for him.

Oh and neuvirth had been in the vezina conversation for most of the year until his injury and Murray did not push hard to sign him even though we needed a goalie, he was ok for us last year, and seemingly would have been OK with coming back here. Our first and neuvirth is better than lehner in my opinion.

We didn't give up too much for Kane and Bogosian. It was about getting pieces that fit in to the team that Murray wanted to build. Trades cannot just be analyzed in a vacuum like Regier tried to teach everyone. Besides, we got the best player in the trade.

Saying that giving up a late first for Lehner was too much, has jumped the shark. It was a draft pick. Who knows who we would have picked had we kept it. The pick was a much more replaceable asset than what we may potentially have in Lehner.

Let's call this Murray movie for what it is B*U*S*T

Buffalo's Undeniable Starting Tender

It is relevant when you consider we had Michal Neuvirth and traded him away. We could have just signed him and kept the 1st. Anders Lindback would have been an adequate #2.

Maybe Neuvirth was yet another tank player that didn't want to be here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.