McDavid seems to be on another planet...

matter2003

McDavid gets my Calder vote.

Remember when Mario came back from cancer (or whatever it was) to beat Lafontaine?

He's not going to win the rookie scoring race, but he is going to be right there.

Panarin lost any chance of my vote with that ridiculous dive.

Connor's only around six points back of Eichel in what, 35 less games played? He'll pass Larkin and maybe Domi before the season ends, it's pretty insane.

I watch his highlights, though, and honestly, if Eichel had some of his wingers, his assist numbers would be through the roof. Connor is a great player but many of his assists he makes a basic pass and Eberle does the work. It seems like every point Eichel has this year is the result of a highlight-reel effort, and the easy ones get flubbed by teammates.

Connor's only around six points back of Eichel in what, 35 less games played? He'll pass Larkin and maybe Domi before the season ends, it's pretty insane.

I watch his highlights, though, and honestly, if Eichel had some of his wingers, his assist numbers would be through the roof. Connor is a great player but many of his assists he makes a basic pass and Eberle does the work. It seems like every point Eichel has this year is the result of a highlight-reel effort, and the easy ones get flubbed by teammates.

Agreed. Also, Eichel's and McDavid's goals-per-game numbers this season are very close. I really think in terms of actually putting the puck in the net, there is only a very small gap there, if any. McDavid will always have more assists. 

Even though Jack is a natural playmaker, he still has that sniper's touch.

McD = Samson's Vision + Eich's skill.

His goal tonight against the Kings is a good example of that:  The vision to even try what he did, and the skill to pull it off.

I dunno, I think I'd rather spread some of that around and not have it all in one person. I mean, what if that person misses 35 games with a broken collar bone or something?

McD = Samson's Vision + Eich's skill.

His goal tonight against the Kings is a good example of that:  The vision to even try what he did, and the skill to pull it off.

I dunno, I think I'd rather spread some of that around and not have it all in one person. I mean, what if that person misses 35 games with a broken collar bone or something?

This goal is at once a genius play from McDavid, and an idiotic play by Lecavalier. Why is VInny bumbling away with the puck in front of his own goalie for no apparent reason? Maybe because guys don't usually think to try and pull off what McDavid did. His on-ice thinking is such that players have to be aware of him at all times. Perfectly preventable play by Lecavalier and the Kings, but they didn't process in that moment that it could happen.

So do you think when McDavid's prison sentence is complete in Edmonton in a couple years that the Sabres might have a chance of wooing him to Buffalo? I would imagine McDavid would want out of that place as soon as he can.

No way. They'll pay him $12m if they have to for his RFA

No way. They'll pay him $12m if they have to for his RFA

I could see him becoming an RFA and signing an offer sheet that expires in whatever year his is first eligible to become a UFA though. If that happens Edmonton can only match the deal he signs elsewhere and is not able to alter the times. That would free McDavid up to be the biggest UFA in league history while still in the prime of his career.

I could see him becoming an RFA and signing an offer sheet that expires in whatever year his is first eligible to become a UFA though. If that happens Edmonton can only match the deal he signs elsewhere and is not able to alter the times. That would free McDavid up to be the biggest UFA in league history while still in the prime of his career.

Someone throwing an offer sheet at McDavid would be a bold move. But if there's one team I could see doing it, it's the Rangers. 

Someone throwing an offer sheet at McDavid would be a bold move. But if there's one team I could see doing it, it's the Rangers. 

It would be a smart move for anyone in Edmonton's division to consider. Edmonton will surely match any offer that McDavid accepts but if they set it up right the GM of the other team could screw Edmonton out of any and all of McDavid's UFA years. If I remember right I think Calgary screwed Colorado over the same way with O'Reilly, only with money instead of contract length (or possibly both). They signed him to a 2 year deal that overall was reasonable (2 year 8 million or something like that) but it was structured in such a way that it hampered Colorado's ability to bargain with O'Reilly in the future. I think the first year of the offer was only for $1.5 million with the second year paying $6.5 million. Then based on the existing CBA and O'Reilly's age his next contract was supposed to get him at least a 10% raise or something like that, which put the Avs in a bind because of their internal cap coupled with having to earmark money for other players.

I'm sure I'm fuzzy on the details with this, but something along those lines happened and as a result O'Reilly reached UFA status pretty much as early as you possibly can, he was making a higher salary than he normally would for his production, and Colorado ending up dealing him rather than losing him for nothing. The same can be done with McDavid if he's interested in leaving Edmonton as soon as possible. Depending on how the Oilers perform the next 2 seasons he may want to.

I agree.  MSG with Elvis in the building every night would be a great draw.  

First, you sign McDavid well before Rfa kicks in. The second you can, really.

Second, Edmonton will match any offer sheet guaranteed.

He has to be willing to sign though. The earliest they can extend him would be next summer. If Edmonton is still a tire fire next season he'd be well within his rights to tell them he wants to wait and there's nothing Edmonton can do to force him to sign. Normally players have to worry about injuries and slumps but McDavid's potential is so high that he doesn't need to worry about it the way regular players do. He could then sign any RFA offer that he wants and if teams are smart they'll offer him 4 year deals. Edmonton will match for sure but that puts him as a UFA at 25 after 7 years in the league. At that point he can punch his ticket to any place that can afford him.

How is the first even possibly? His ELC ends, he's immediately an RFA, no?

Actually you have a year to sign him before he hits RFA. He doesn't have to sign but he'll get tons of money and won't need to worry if he does get injured. Guaranteed money is gonna be a draw. Also Edmonton can offer him 8 year deals if they choose. 8 years 100 million... that is gonna be hard to ignore.

He has to be willing to sign though. The earliest they can extend him would be next summer. If Edmonton is still a tire fire next season he'd be well within his rights to tell them he wants to wait and there's nothing Edmonton can do to force him to sign. Normally players have to worry about injuries and slumps but McDavid's potential is so high that he doesn't need to worry about it the way regular players do. He could then sign any RFA offer that he wants and if teams are smart they'll offer him 4 year deals. Edmonton will match for sure but that puts him as a UFA at 25 after 7 years in the league. At that point he can punch his ticket to any place that can afford him.

No way he ever becomes an UFA.   He'll be traded before that ever happens.    If we really wants out of EDM, think of the return they could get for him....  pretty much anybody they want.

No way he ever becomes an UFA. He'll be traded before that ever happens. If we really wants out of EDM, think of the return they could get for him.... pretty much anybody they want.

Technically, Edmonton would trade him, but more than likely he would become a UFA immediately after that. I think he exits Edmonton as soon as possible.

Actually you have a year to sign him before he hits RFA. He doesn't have to sign but he'll get tons of money and won't need to worry if he does get injured. Guaranteed money is gonna be a draw. Also Edmonton can offer him 8 year deals if they choose. 8 years 100 million... that is gonna be hard to ignore.

I'm confused here.

ELC: 18-21

????: 21-22

RFA: ????

I'm confused here.

ELC: 18-21

????: 21-22

RFA: ????

Not sure what you are confused about. That last year of his ELC Edmonton can sign him to a new deal, they have that entire year to get it done. Just like UFA's, McDavid doesn't become and RFA til he hits JULY 1 and his deal ends.  Edmonton doesn't have to offer him a bridge deal of 3-4 years. They could offer 8 year max and however much money they want if they think it is the only way they can keep him. McDavid will be a UFA at age 25 so that deal gives you an extra 4 years of McDavid. All I am saying is if I am McDavid, and 8yr 100million dollar contract sounds a lot better than 4 years 50million knowing that Edmonton can just match that anyways.

Edited by LGR4GM

Not sure what you are confused about. That last year of his ELC Edmonton can sign him to a new deal, they have that entire year to get it done. They don't have to offer him a bridge deal of 3-4 years. They could offer 8 year max and however much money they want if they think it is the only way they can keep him. McDavid will be a UFA at age 25 so that deal gives you an extra 4 years of McDavid. All I am saying is if I am McDavid, and 8yr 100million dollar contract sounds a lot better than 4 years 50million knowing that Edmonton can just match that anyways.

So if he ELC expires, and you don't sign him in the final year, he's an RFA. If he hits RFA, Edmonton will match it, no matter the contract. Can you offer sheet max deals to RFA's?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.