McDavid seems to be on another planet...

matter2003

So if he ELC expires, and you don't sign him in the final year, he's an RFA. If he hits RFA, Edmonton will match it, no matter the contract. Can you offer sheet max deals to RFA's?

Sure. Vanek was offered what? 7years 7mil.  You could offer McDavid 7years 98 million if you wanted to but Edmonton will match it.

For instance if ROR was not signed to his extension, he currently is not a UFA. Yes his contract would expire July 1st but he doesn't become a UFA til then. You aren't an RFA unless you actually make it to RFA. Risto won't become and RFA I would assume Murray signs him sometime in April or May.

Edited by LGR4GM

Sure. Vanek was offered what? 7years 7mil.  You could offer McDavid 7years 98 million if you wanted to but Edmonton will match it.

For instance if ROR was not signed to his extension, he currently is not a UFA. Yes his contract would expire July 1st but he doesn't become a UFA til then. You aren't an RFA unless you actually make it to RFA. Risto won't become and RFA I would assume Murray signs him sometime in April or May.

So what I'm getting at here is, it doesn't sound like there is any way for McDavid to leave Edmonton. The best case scenario for him, it sounds like, would be to field a team's offer with a 1 year, max deal. Edmonton matches, you leave the next year. Edmonton doesn't match, you either leave next year for UFA, or resign with the team that got you out of Edmonton

So what I'm getting at here is, it doesn't sound like there is any way for McDavid to leave Edmonton. The best case scenario for him, it sounds like, would be to field a team's offer with a 1 year, max deal. Edmonton matches, you leave the next year. Edmonton doesn't match, you either leave next year for UFA, or resign with the team that got you out of Edmonton

His best option would be to sign a what 4 year deal? 3 year deal? Whatever would take him to UFA. That is if he wants out of Edmonton. He would have to decline all other deals accept for whatever deal ends the first year he is UFA eligible because then he could pick his team.  

just because you sign an offer sheet you don't become a UFA the following year. He still has to be 26 or 6(is it 7) years in the league (which in his case means when he is 25). 

Edited by LGR4GM

His best option would be to sign a what 4 year deal? 3 year deal? Whatever would take him to UFA. That is if he wants out of Edmonton. He would have to decline all other deals accept for whatever deal ends the first year he is UFA eligible because then he could pick his team.  

just because you sign an offer sheet you don't become a UFA the following year. He still has to be 26 or 6(is it 7) years in the league (which in his case means when he is 25). 

Ah I see.

So, did Stamkos sign an offer sheet planning to leave for FA then?

Technically, Edmonton would trade him, but more than likely he would become a UFA immediately after that. I think he exits Edmonton as soon as possible.

It'll definitely be interesting to watch play out. A lot of people have gone to a town they expected to hate & it grew on them. (E.g. Kelly to Bills, Rivet to Sabres) But if he does continue to hate it or Edmonton rubs off on Chiarelli rather than the other way round, we'll see the biggest FA frenzy ever in ~7 years.

My guess is that like TB said above, he ends up a lifer (or at minimum spends the full decade of his 20's there) which is, at this point in time, essentially the same thing.

I think he has to be a pro for 7 years before becoming UFA -- so that would enable him, if he times his next contract correctly, to skip town at the age of 25. 

Looking at it right now, I'd have to say it's not terribly likely, but if they continue to stink, it's possible.  In particular, if they continue to stink between now and the time he signs his next contract, I would kinda expect that contract to end during the same summer that he's UFA-eligible.  I certainly would advise him to set it up that way.

I think he has to be a pro for 7 years before becoming UFA -- so that would enable him, if he times his next contract correctly, to skip town at the age of 25. 

Looking at it right now, I'd have to say it's not terribly likely, but if they continue to stink, it's possible.  In particular, if they continue to stink between now and the time he signs his next contract, I would kinda expect that contract to end during the same summer that he's UFA-eligible.  I certainly would advise him to set it up that way.

Edmonton hockey is a lonely icy body orbiting in the Kuiper Belt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.