First Sizzle posted a link to a buttery, egg yolk-less coffee cake with pecans. Nearly 8,000 calories. Then Jo made d4rk a carrot cake. If a large carrot cake doesn't have 8k calories I would be shocked.

Let us discuss this familiar dessert that has so many psychological connections. Wedding cake. Birthday cake. The dreaded office cake. Let them eat cake.

Grab a fork and dig in. If cake is the dessert at your last meal before execution, what kind would you want? Least favorite? Ever see a nun jump out of an angel food cake?

Let us try to avoid your hockey captain cake and any semblance of a cake draft. Thanks.

Each year I do a free tax clinic, or two, for people of lesser means.

One of those clients is a widow and a very nice lady.  She always brings a *coffee* cake .. last year was orange.  One of the best cakes we ever had and we can't wait for this years edition.

That said, I'm more of a pie guy (not to derail, PA) and our friend / neighbour makes the best pie crust (from scratch, of course) EVER!!  Apple, peace ... no matter the crust is just awesome.

Speaking of cake, PSA: Free cake tomorrow at all Wegmans locations, 11:00am. They're celebrating their 19th year on Fortune's Top 100 list (#4). What are the chances that a cake thread pops up the day before and I actually have a place to share this? :)

I do not know what type of cake it will be, but smart money would probably be vanilla with buttercreme.

At work, someone makes a cake for each of us in our department for our birthday.  My choice is always a cherry cake with white buttercream frosting.  Cut strawberries between layers is a bonus.  Unlike most of the department, I don't like any cakes with chocolate, peanut butter, or cookie crumbles.  But I never get cake for home, my preference is pies.  Not too sweet, cherry or apple, with a moist crust.

The Vanilli Leino of cakes. Yuck.

Get the ###### out of here with your flan! This is America. (It'll have a big, beautiful kitchen door.)

The flan will have to leave, and then get in line behind the good cakes and pies, and become a Freedom Flan.  And we'll make the French pay for it.

Get the ###### out of here with your flan! This is America. (It'll have a big, beautiful kitchen door.)

Alright, alright.

I'll just say: Back when Sweet Tooth was in Allentown, they did a cashew caramel flan that was the best thing on the planet. And it seemed every bit like eating a slice of heavenly cake.

/scurries out the door as a spatula full of butter cream frosting hurtles toward me

Alright, alright.

I'll just say: Back when Sweet Tooth was in Allentown, they did a cashew caramel flan that was the best thing on the planet. And it seemed every bit like eating a slice of heavenly cake.

/scurries out the door as a spatula full of butter cream frosting hurtles toward me

iraqimage009.gif?w=320

I'm with her. Cake is just an excuse to eat icing. :ph34r:

You haven't has a good cake, yet. I can respect that POV, though, as 99% of the time the cake part of a cake is relegated to being a medium for the icing. Most times the cake is too dry and lacks dimension.

You haven't has a good cake, yet. I can respect that POV, though, as 99% of the time the cake part of a cake is relegated to being a medium for the icing. Most times the cake is too dry and lacks dimension.

Yeah, every now and again I've had a "good" cake (carrot cake is the only acceptable use for carrots, IMO), and coffee cake I do like sometimes, but overall I feel pretty meh on the category and prefer other baked goods.

Pie guy here! Dislike almost all cakes. LOVE spice cake! Spice cake is my birthday cake. And no icing. Load that bitch up with confectionery sugar and I'll go to town on it.

I also bake a tres leches(3 milks) cake, it's a Latin recipe. I've got friends from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic who absolutely love it. My wife and kid love it. Me, meh. The first slice is bangin, but after that, I'm done. It's too freaking heavy and sweet for me to eat any more of.

Such a common issue, and I have no idea why.

What's "dimension" vis-a-vis a baked good?

A combination of flavor, texture, visuals and aroma, not unlike any other food.  When the cake (or any other food) is good, those elements are perfect, separately, but also perfect in combination.  The experience begins with the eyes and the nose, continues with the lips, nose and tongue, then, again, persists in all parts of the mouth with the nose being engaged, and ends after the bite is swallowed and you savor the lingering taste, and the memories of the entire experience.  A good food will please all of these things. 

Hmmm, what does carrot cake have? Egg yolks maybe? And lots of oil? So it's moist.

Carrot cake is a solid #2 for me.  #1?  Spice cake.

And, in this respect I may be broken but, I'm not a fan of cream cheese frosting.

Who hurt you? Who?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.