Somebody help me with Sizzle's cake. The second part is making the topping, mixing in the flour, sugar, cinnamon, etc...... The only direction it gives is "combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly". Does the mixture turn out somewhat hard and can be broken up into pieces with a cutter? Do you lay it out like dough and cut it into pieces? 

I haven't looked at the recipe, but generally, if you are using a pastry cutter to cut in fat, you are making a mixture that is just like you quoted, crumbly.  Think crumb topping.  usually an all dry ingredient mix, so you wouldn't lay it out like dough, you'd leave it all in a mixing bowl while you "cut" it.  A pastry cutter looks like the image below.  You are cutting the fat (butter, lard, whatever) into tiny pieces with it and at the same time mixing it into the flour, etc. 

doh-5_silh.jpg

JJFIVEOH, on 08 Mar 2016 - 4:46 PM, said:

Somebody help me with Sizzle's cake. The second part is making the topping, mixing in the flour, sugar, cinnamon, etc...... The only direction it gives is "combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly". Does the mixture turn out somewhat hard and can be broken up into pieces with a cutter? Do you lay it out like dough and cut it into pieces? 

You can mix it together and do exactly this.  Just plop the chunks into the batter in the pan.  The brown sugar mixture will melt and spread as it bakes, leaving you with pockets and veins not unlike gold deposits in the earth, except tastier.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

OK, got it, thanks guys. I've done a lot of desserts over the years but never had to use a pastry cutter. I could have just looked it up. Looks like making mashed potatoes the old fashioned way. 

JJ, use your fingers. It's a great stress-buster.

I might just do that. Wouldn't be the first dessert I've made without utensils. 

OK, got it, thanks guys. I've done a lot of desserts over the years but never had to use a pastry cutter. I could have just looked it up. Looks like making mashed potatoes the old fashioned way. 

I might just do that. Wouldn't be the first dessert I've made without utensils. 

Now go make biscuits.

You're welcome.

Good job! Was it a little gooey? I love it a little gooey.

Not quite gooey, but it's moist. Maybe next time I'll try baking it for 36-38 minutes instead of 42. The crumb layer definitely makes it, very cinnamon heavy. 

That or stick it in the microwave for a few seconds before eating. Three sticks of butter, it almost has to get gooey. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.