World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Price or Marchand?

Crosby?… Really? :blink:

Conn Smyth all over again

Are you guys serious? He dominated. Led the tournament in points.

And played well in all situations. And Captain.

Conn Smythe all over again indeed.

Edited by Thorny

I can't believe the Crosby hate has made me a Crosby fan. It makes me want to shower in bleach, actually.

Hahaha. I'm Canadian and he's done so much good for us in the national tournaments that I get a pass.

The exasperation over this MVP is odd though. I mean, he was the top scorer in the tourney.

Edited by Thorny

Were you not yet around during 1980? Nothing will ever beat that year for US hockey.

I was born in 1985 :)

My parents took me to Lake Placid on vacation when I was younger, and I could feel the aura of that place, for whatever it's worth. I'd say I'd kill to have been an adult sports fan for it, but then I'd be old now, so naaaaaah :nana:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Everyone I know is a Crosby-hater, and I've never understood it. At least not since he stopped "whining" all the time, but a lot of that whining was legitimate. People hated that he was the golden boy and absolutely tried to take him or his knees or his head out every chance they could. A lot of the time he was simply letting the referees know, hey, a couple of these guys are out here trying to end my career kthanks.

Crosby is the most mind-boggling and dominant player I've ever laid eyes on (started watching in 2005) and I'm going to be sad when he retires. 

Everyone I know is a Crosby-hater, and I've never understood it. At least not since he stopped "whining" all the time, but a lot of that whining was legitimate. People hated that he was the golden boy and absolutely tried to take him or his knees or his head out every chance they could. A lot of the time he was simply letting the referees know, hey, a couple of these guys are out here trying to end my career kthanks.

Crosby is the most mind-boggling and dominant player I've ever laid eyes on (started watching in 2005) and I'm going to be sad when he retires.

Well said. And think of what he has accomplished at 29. And to be the only guy born after 1973 to be in the top 20 in all time playoffs points per game, is very impressive. Considering how much lower scoring is now.

Well said. And think of what he has accomplished at 29. And to be the only guy born after 1973 to be in the top 20 in all time playoffs points per game, is very impressive. Considering how much lower scoring is now.

Crosby belongs in the pantheon with Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr. It's not his fault he plays in an era where the NHL has lost its mind.

(If anybody wants to punch me for this at the Sabrespace meetup, I won't hold it against you...but please have the courtesy to wait until I'm inebriated)

Edit: I forgot Howe in the pantheon. I'm sorry, he certainly belongs.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Are you guys serious? He dominated. Led the tournament in points.

And played well in all situations. And Captain.

Conn Smythe all over again indeed.

I am not a Crosby hater, at all. He's a monster. From what I saw, Marchond was every bit the beast that Crosby was, and I think he played in every role, as well. I noticed him a whole bunch more than Crosby. I may be wrong but I really think it was he that should have won it. And that's not out of hate, just what I saw,… as a non-Canadian fanboi. :nana:

I know the numbers are great, but how much did he actually have to do?

He made some incredible saves every game I watched. You could also say the same about Crosby. Playing with Bergeron and Marchand doesn't exactly handicap him.

In before I get accused of claiming Crosby doesn't elevate their game or drive that line. I know he does

He made some incredible saves every game I watched. You could also say the same about Crosby. Playing with Bergeron and Marchand doesn't exactly handicap him.

In before I get accused of claiming Crosby doesn't elevate their game or drive that line. I know he does

I just don't think he was under enough pressure to get MVP. But I don't think I care enough to debate further. In fact, I know I don't :p

I was born in 1985 :)

My parents took me to Lake Placid on vacation when I was younger, and I could feel the aura of that place, for whatever it's worth. I'd say I'd kill to have been an adult sports fan for it, but then I'd be old now, so naaaaaah :nana:

Lol, well I wasn't an adult when it happened, but I was 12 and lived and breathed hockey. I was with my friend and his family at their cabin in the Adirondacks when it happened. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were all going crazy....tears and everything. It was truly amazing.

I am not a Crosby hater, at all. He's a monster. From what I saw, Marchond was every bit the beast that Crosby was, and I think he played in every role, as well. I noticed him a whole bunch more than Crosby. I may be wrong but I really think it was he that should have won it. And that's not out of hate, just what I saw,… as a non-Canadian fanboi. :nana:

Oh, that's perfectly fine too. I was just more surprised at what seemed liked confusion that he won it. No surprise when the leading scorer wins it.

I'll note that my comment was just in general, I have no idea how he played in this tournament relative to his teammates, I only saw Canada play a little bit.

He was their best player. Even turned the game around tonight when he started generating chances when they were very sluggish with about 5 minutes left. Led by example. Set up the game tying goal.

The right guy won the MVP. 10 points, 6 games, too.

Edited by Thorny

Crosby was the best player on any team during every single shift he played. He's on another planet. Marchand played well but was the main benefactor of Crosby and not anywhere near the other way around.

Just thought I'd point out that Marchand was on the PK without Crosby for the tournament winning goal. :devil:

On another note, hockey can be such a cruel sport sometimes. To think that Josi was less than an inch away from forcing a game three and on the very next shift Canada gets a shortie. Love it.

And I'll say it again, I will miss hearing Levy and Melrose. I like the way they call a game.

Crosby was the best player on any team during every single shift he played. He's on another planet. Marchand played well but was the main benefactor of Crosby and not anywhere near the other way around.

For international tournaments it's almost not fair.  Crosby is so unreal and he's almost 30.  So you start thinking the decline may start in another 4 or 5 years and now McDavid is just starting out.  If hockey stays in the Olympics in two years watching Crosby still in his prime and McDavid entering his prime will be an absolute treat to watch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.