World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

I thought Risto was a beast in the first. I love how he wants to be a difference maker.

Yes, he was on for the first two goals, but he also saved one, stopped multiple puck carriers in their tracks (including a great stand-up on a McKinnon rush), made guys pay in front of the net QBed the point and carried the puck.

He was awfully quiet after that though. Disappeared as the team got overwhelmed. Flashbacks to the tank.

It is almost like expecting 1 defender to do it all is unrealistic. 

Jack was always good, even when talking about his floating. I think the important thing this graph shows is that team NA is pretty damn good.  I don't think they will get any respect though unless the pull off a minor miracle and win it all. I think team USA excluding some of these guys (Jack, Larkin, Matthews) will be one of the reasons they fail.

Also I remember reading some national coverage who were really concerned with team NA defense... seems okay to me.

Jack was always good, even when talking about his floating. I think the important thing this graph shows is that team NA is pretty damn good. I don't think they will get any respect though unless the pull off a minor miracle and win it all. I think team USA excluding some of these guys (Jack, Larkin, Matthews) will be one of the reasons they fail.

Also I remember reading some national coverage who were really concerned with team NA defense... seems okay to me.

Yeah the post title accompanying that tweet is tongue and cheek, poorly executed I might add. Just because Jack is doing well, doesn't mean he can't be doing better, or that he still doesn't move his feet

Jack was always good, even when talking about his floating. I think the important thing this graph shows is that team NA is pretty damn good. I don't think they will get any respect though unless the pull off a minor miracle and win it all. I think team USA excluding some of these guys (Jack, Larkin, Matthews) will be one of the reasons they fail.

I'll admit I was a little concerned about NAs defense, however I thought that they had the opportunity to make up for it with a blistering attack. After all, the best defense is a good offense. Edited by sodbuster

One thing I noticed, was how little Team NA dumped the puck in. It was so pleasant to watch.

Didn't even notice that but looking back on it you're right. Nice observation. It's comical how much better that coaching staff is than the US's Edited by WildCard

Who would you replace with Reinhart?   Trochek maybe?

Reinhart should be playing the same role for TNA as Toews or Bergeron does for Canada.

So Nugent-Hopkins, (or, I guess, Schiefele if you want him on the wing) then.

No quarrel with RNH's game or selection. I get that fact that he's played 200 more NHL games than Sam is good reason to pick him over Sam. I fully expect Sam to be getting the call over RNH (or Schiefele) for Team Canada moving forward though.

Some thoughts and pics, as promised:

The atmosphere was awesome after the Sweden-Russia game. The Swedes gathered outside in massive crowds, chanting and jumping and clapping. It was like nothing you see in American sports, anywhere. The camaraderie was really cool to witness. We stood and people-watched for about half an hour (the Russians and their body language was interesting to watch too).

Inside the game, we sat near some Finns that came all the way from Finland. There were a lot of Finnish fans overall, and I got the impression that many of them did come all the way here just for the Cup. And it struck me how awesome this is for them. To see all their national players together on the same ice, live. You could really feel the passion in the building, to the point that I was actually hoping Finland would score one in the third once it was out of hand. Don't get me wrong, I wanted a shut out and the goal differential. But the reaction of the guy in front of me was priceless. The Finnish fans deserved something to celebrate. I have a tremendous amount of respect for their dedication, as well as their ability to handle their alcohol and remain incredibly friendly people.

Also sat near lots of Eichel fans. There were 2 Canadians between us, but we had 6 out of 8 there mainly to see Jack play :)

I don't need to tell you all how dominant NA was. They were so fast, so aggressive on the forecheck and backcheck. Some sloppy passes, but their speed made up for it. They hardly ever dumped and chased, as someone mentioned earlier. Finland tried to dump and chase, but the young guns were just too fast and Finland was generally unsuccessful at entering the zone, period. It felt like NA scored 8 goals, not 4, because there were so many close calls. The fact that Jack scored one was all I needed to have a good time. The rest of the game was just awesome, awesome icing on the cake. 

Some outside facing:
jxvaSN8l.jpg

I was filmed for a news coverage piece before the game, aired somewhere in Quebec. Yes, I now consider myself famous among the French-Canadian population. Unfortunately I don't know any French-Canadians, so I'm somewhat of an anonymous celebrity.
6Ywp5EOl.jpg

Our view:
j6pjp4vl.jpg

Timmy's WCH cups:
Ise1Dikl.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.