Trade Deadline 2016

Eleven

I don't know why it would. Not many of the players available had a first-round value.

Bubble teams are a LOT less likely to deal a 1st round pick as the repercussions of sending away a pick that ends up netting another team a 1-3 pick would cost a GM his job, especially when that trade was meant to make the playoffs and instead they missed the post-season and the sweet, sweet lottery ball.

Bubble teams are a LOT less likely to deal a 1st round pick as the repercussions of sending away a pick that ends up netting another team a 1-3 pick would cost a GM his job, especially when that trade was meant to make the playoffs and instead they missed the post-season and the sweet, sweet lottery ball.

I agree. But the post you responded to doesn't contradict this thought.

Lots of chatter on Twitter about how the new lottery system dampened trade activity.

Is true?

I don't know why it would. Not many of the players available had a first-round value.

Someone mentioned that on WGR too. The idea is all but the top-10 teams in the league are gun-shy about trading a first in case they miss the playoffs and win the lotto. It makes sense; you can say there weren't players with first-round value available but if GMs start calling up with 1st round picks to sell guys suddenly become available.

I don't understand why deadline day is a holiday to some people, especially Sabres fans or people interested in teams without any chance of making the playoffs.

I'm a hockey fan. i enjoy the moves other teams make. Also it is a day, historically, where things happen - e.g. Kassian for Hodgson. So being out the playoffs is not a guarantee nothing happens. Finally, for every buyer there must be a seller, even when bad it is fun to see what pieces your team get for the future

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.