Trade Deadline 2016

Eleven

For all the concern over his overpaying for guys, he still has 21 picks in the next 2 drafts nearly 1/2 of which are in the top 3 rounds. And he has guys like Fasching & Guhle that aren't in the A yet.

Yes, the Amerks still stink. They will start getting better as the Sabres transition from a team that has their prospects on the big club.

Maybe I'm misreading that, but who do you see going back to Rochester to help out?

GM Tim Murray has proved he can trade former 1st round draft picks, future 1st round draft picks and other prospects for players, but he hasn't made a believer out of me. It can be argued that almost all of his other deals he received less than he gained.

I'm still waiting for his reputation as a scouting "genius" to show itself in real terms.

What you don't see or hear about much are all the good players still in juniors and college that have been drafted or traded for. It will be a couple more years before they start contributing, but it's all part of the plan to grow the team around Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, and O'Reilly.

Maybe I'm misreading that, but who do you see going back to Rochester to help out?

Don't see anyone going "back" to Ra-cha-cha. But by '17-'18 at the latest, the 20 yo's will be in Ra-cha-cha rather than the Sabres top 2 lines & D pairings.

Next year, at least 2 of Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, & Fasching will be there & won't be as raw as they are now. Also, hopefully there'll be some continuity there next season which should help w/ a few more W's.

For all the concern over his overpaying for guys, he still has 21 picks in the next 2 drafts nearly 1/2 of which are in the top 3 rounds. And he has guys like Fasching & Guhle that aren't in the A yet.

Yes, the Amerks still stink. They will start getting better as the Sabres transition from a team that has their prospects on the big club.

This whole rebuild process is very painful, and it wouldn't be so bad; however, the number of sub par years prior to TM taking the helm just adds to it.

Can TM use some of those draft picks to land a top six talent at the draft or does he pick, hold on to them, and then package them up with players and cash afterward to get the pieces he wants to make this team better?

This whole rebuild process is very painful, and it wouldn't be so bad; however, the number of sub par years prior to TM taking the helm just adds to it.

Can TM use some of those draft picks to land a top six talent at the draft or does he pick, hold on to them, and then package them up with players and cash afterward to get the pieces he wants to make this team better?

By top 6, are you referring to a top 6 overall pick or top 2 line talent. (I expect you meant the latter.)

If it's the 1st - it's unlikely unless the Sabres pick lands there.

If it's the latter, I'd be surprised if he doesn't make at least 1 & more likely 2 trades around the draft. (Of course, I was convinced he'd trade for a top 6 RW during this season. :oops: )

Much ado about nuthin. Glad I went to work today. Although it would have been funny watchin the guys on TSN squirm in their seats as they tried to talk their way through what amounted to a huge buildup to well...nuthin. In all honesty there were moves and the usual suspects loaded up. Here's to hopin the Ducks can turn our 3rd rounder into a 2nd and go far in the playoffs. I suppose I'll be pullin for them in the west.

No surprise on Johnson. There was no market.

A little surprised on Legwand. Guy could help any team for playoff depth.

I'd suggest Murray could have got a sixth from someone, but Legwand didn't want, or Murray thought it would be better for the team to keep him down the stretch. With 21 picks in the next two drafts, how much more value would a 6th really provide.

Something else to think of for next year

Gionta's no trade relaxes.

If the Sabres are in a playoff race, will we be trading him?

Will he ask to be traded for one last shot at the cup?

If you're in the playoff race, I don't think you can trade your captain

Meh, today sucked, a conditional 3rd, I guess that's decent considering how the market was set with pirri.

We just don't have the horses to make any splashes at this time, maybe we can get our pannies in a bunch on draft day.

I don't know about you, but I'm not baking on draft day. 

It really seemed like Gionta could've had giving Ryan the C for his last season in mind, in whatever episode of Beyond the Blue and Gold it was. I wouldn't think any less of him for not doing it, but man would that be the classiest move.

Wouldn't be the first team to change captains. I think it should happen, but ultimately it doesn't matter. It's ROR's letter whether he gets it in 2016 or 2017.

Murray's press conference for those who haven't seen it yet

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/tim-murray-22916/t-277437090/c-41979603

Most interesting thing for me is how much he seems to like this group of guys.

Murray has done an unimaginable job of mastering the antics of the BFLO media. He knows what not to say so they can't use it against him at a later date, he knows what to say when they try to back him into a corner, and he knows when to throw out the "I don't give a damn what I said" responses to give them enough of an impression that he really doesn't care what they think. 

Murray has done an unimaginable job of mastering the antics of the BFLO media. He knows what not to say so they can't use it against him at a later date, he knows what to say when they try to back him into a corner, and he knows when to throw out the "I don't give a damn what I said" responses to give them enough of an impression that he really doesn't care what they think. 

I really want him to succeed, because it's such a treat to listen to him.

I really want him to succeed, because it's such a treat to listen to him.

When he does a presser and starts off by giving that smirk, I can hear the wheels spinning in Harrington and Sullivan's heads because they know they're not going to get the fodder they want. 

Tough to call at this age but Bleackley looks like he could be more than bottom six

On TSN they said it was unlikely Colorado was going to be signing him, and that Arizona likely won't either. If Arizona doesn't, Bleakley will be eligible to re-enter the draft, and Arizona would receive a compensatory 2nd round pick.

On TSN they said it was unlikely Colorado was going to be signing him, and that Arizona likely won't either. If Arizona doesn't, Bleakley will be eligible to re-enter the draft, and Arizona would receive a compensatory 2nd round pick.

I wonder why. Seems like a decent enough prospect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.