Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Well - what if, on down the line, people start pounding a table about how concussion rates are actually much higher in, say, soccer (than in American football). Should funding be yanked for soccer programs as well? Just a thought on where this is all headed.

Also: NFL Memes was ready with this one.

Cg5jBB1WkAEVkys.jpg

Hahahaha - suck it, Tawmmy!

The guy on the left looks like Mr. Yuk

mr-yuk.gif

"In March, Brady signed a two-year contract extension that chopped his 2016 salary from $9 million to $1 million, effectively bracing the quarterback for a massive financial loss in the event that a four-game suspension would be served. That extension also netted him more than $40 million in new money."

I find this fascinating.  Obviously he, his agent and the Patriots saw this coming from miles away

This seems like another form of cheating from the *cheater why am I not surprised?

We drove past the old Rockpile yesterday. Made me think of the Colosseum.

is that place still standing?

Is the NFL going to exist in 20 years? Or will the lawsuits and people deciding not to play have forced the league out by then?

No chance it doesn't exist. They'll keep tweaking the rules until they come close to eliminating all contact before that and it will slowly lose popularity until it's more in line with the other major sports. As the NFL phases out hitting so will the NCAA and high schools and participation rates will go back up.

I definitely could see a state or two banning, or at least refusing to fund, public high school football by then.

I'm gonna come right out and say it.  It's controversial, but I don't think it is incorrect at this point.,  I think we are reaching a point knowledge-wise where you can start to say that it is irresponsible to put your children in football. 

Soccer could eliminate heading the ball and be rid of 99% of concussions.  I know nothing about youth soccer, but if they are not there now  I'd be surprised if they don't go that route in the very near future.  Hell, youth hockey doesn't allow checking until 13-14.  Make no checking an amateur rule across the board and you eliminate the vast majority of concussions in that sport (at that level).  What are you going to do with football?  Collision is required in virtually every play at every position on the field. You'd have to go to flag football style of play with linemen standing up.

I'm gonna come right out and say it. It's controversial, but I don't think it is incorrect at this point., I think we are reaching a point knowledge-wise where you can start to say that it is irresponsible to put your children in football.

Soccer could eliminate heading the ball and be rid of 99% of concussions. I know nothing about youth soccer, but if they are not there now I'd be surprised if they don't go that route in the very near future. Hell, youth hockey doesn't allow checking until 13-14. Make no checking an amateur rule across the board and you eliminate the vast majority of concussions in that sport (at that level). What are you going to do with football? Collision is required in virtually every play at every position on the field. You'd have to go to flag football style of play with linemen standing up.

Shut down the current league and start one with violent criminals. Winners get a carton of smokes.

I'm gonna come right out and say it.  It's controversial, but I don't think it is incorrect at this point.,  I think we are reaching a point knowledge-wise where you can start to say that it is irresponsible to put your children in football. 

Soccer could eliminate heading the ball and be rid of 99% of concussions.  I know nothing about youth soccer, but if they are not there now  I'd be surprised if they don't go that route in the very near future.  Hell, youth hockey doesn't allow checking until 13-14.  Make no checking an amateur rule across the board and you eliminate the vast majority of concussions in that sport (at that level).  What are you going to do with football?  Collision is required in virtually every play at every position on the field. You'd have to go to flag football style of play with linemen standing up.

I don't think your first paragraph is controversial at all.

Eliminating heading from soccer though?  Oh boy.  That's controversial.

Eliminating heading from soccer though? Oh boy. That's controversial.

I can't recite the details, but heading is already verboten in the u10, u11 leagues (in the U.S., anyway). My youngest got booked a yellow for heading the ball twice in a game -- first header was whistled and he was warned; second one was a yellow.

In u12 and maybe U13, I believe the policy is that it's allowable (maybe not off set pieces?) in games, but is not to be coached in practice.

Times they are a' changing.

Draft is tonight. Any predictions? I feel strongly that the Bills are going to go for a pass rusher in the first round, and I have a bad feeling it's going to be Robert Nkemdiche out of Ole Miss. But Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, Leonard Floyd, and Vernon Butler are 4 other guys whom Rex Ryan might really like. Some dark horse candidates in the first other than at pass rusher are QB Paxton Lynch, WR Laquon Treadwell, OT Jack Conklin, or cover LB Darron Lee.

I hope teams are scared of the knee and Myles Jack slides right to us, or at least close enough to cheaply trade up a few spots. Barring that, I'd like to move back and pick up an extra 3rd to hopefully take a flyer on Jaylon Smith.

Other than that I'm not too picky this year. I'd be fine with most of the LBs and DL, or even an OT/WR or S. Just for the love of God, do not draft Hackenberg at any point for any reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.