2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

He gets the puck from the d-zone to possession in the o-zone better than any Sabre defenseman has for years. Throw him with Risto if we want a D to get the secondary assist.

That is simply not true. While he is a smooth skater he has lapses in the neutral and d zones. Is he better than Colo? Yes. But that is not saying much. I am willing to see how he gels the rest of the season, but I am hesitant to commit today to extending him. A a UFA he will be looking for a big pay day and likely will be paid. Whether he is worth what the market will pay is another matter.

That is simply not true. While he is a smooth skater he has lapses in the neutral and d zones. Is he better than Colo? Yes. But that is not saying much. I am willing to see how he gels the rest of the season, but I am hesitant to commit today to extending him. A a UFA he will be looking for a big pay day and likely will be paid. Whether he is worth what the market will pay is another matter.

He's better than every defenseman on this team except Risto, and hopefully McCabe by the end of the year.

He's better than every defenseman on this team except Risto, and hopefully McCabe by the end of the year.

I think he and McCabe are on par. McCabe can still develop while I think Kulikov is what he is at this point. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I would like more sample size before committing money and term that will be exorbitant based on supply and demand.

I think he and McCabe are on par. McCabe can still develop while I think Kulikov is what he is at this point. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I would like more sample size before committing money and term that will be exorbitant based on supply and demand.

I think Kulikov is a lot better than McCabe. They're probably similar defensively, but Kulikov is so much better offensively at this point.

I think Kulikov is a lot better than McCabe. They're probably similar defensively, but Kulikov is so much better offensively at this point.

Didn't someone in another thread point out about how little kulikov's impact is offensively (speaking points wise) I think he's OK with getting the pucks up to the forwards, but not any better than McCabe at this point,and certainly he's typically more solid in the D Zone

Didn't someone in another thread point out about how little kulikov's impact is offensively (speaking points wise) I think he's OK with getting the pucks up to the forwards, but not any better than McCabe at this point,and certainly he's typically more solid in the D Zone

I think Kulikov's offensive game has been very good, other than actual shots on net (he seems to be even worse than Risto as a goalscorer).

I think Kulikov's offensive game has been very good, other than actual shots on net (he seems to be even worse than Risto as a goalscorer).

I honestly believe risto has some Serious offensive talent, he's shown glimpses, I wonder if he's more tentative because we may not have the horses to cover for him when he takes it in deep. Isn't kublikahn supposed to have a great one timer/point shot?

I honestly believe risto has some Serious offensive talent, he's shown glimpses, I wonder if he's more tentative because we may not have the horses to cover for him when he takes it in deep. Isn't kublikahn supposed to have a great one timer/point shot?

I think Risto has been good/great offensively, just not when it comes to shooting. And I haven't heard anything about Kulikov's shot, it just hasn't looked good to me.

Yes. I am worried about Murray's love of his guys.

If the rumors are true that Kane was being shopped prior to the nightclub kerfuffle, why worry? Also, wouldn't it have been expected that Cloutier would still be a Sabres' prospect rather than a Jets one if that fear were legit (or at a minimum the package for Larkin would have been even more than 3 2's)?

I think Risto has been good/great offensively, just not when it comes to shooting. And I haven't heard anything about Kulikov's shot, it just hasn't looked good to me.

The book on Kulikov when he came here was that we'd be lucky to see him hit the goalie this season :lol: 

But he can pass and walk the line, which is why they have him on the second unit with Franson, who has a good shot. 

Franson might have hypothetically had a good shot at one point, but I haven't seen one of his shots not get blocked this year.

Eh, he's hit a couple posts and created some hectic rebound chances that our forwards didn't cash on. I'm not sure that any of our defensemen have a better consistent shot (Risto has probably 10 gorgeous point shot goals in his career, but we don't see excellent shots much in between them)

Justin Bailey is being given the exact lesson Johan Larsson got: you're not going to be a core offensive guy here, embrace a different role and you will succeed.

Seems to be working for Larry, who is looking every inch an effective 30-point 3rd-line centre so far this year.

For Bailey, the role they want him to embrace would be similar to Gionta's.

Edited by dudacek

Justin Bailey is being given the exact lesson Johan Larsson got: you're not going to be a core offensive guy here, embrace a different role and you will succeed.

Seems to be working for Larry, who is looking every inch an effective 30-point 3rd-line centre so far this year.

For Bailey, the role they want him to embrace would be similar to Gionta's.

I'm not sure this is right. It's my understanding they have him learning LW in Rochester because that's where he has a better chance in the top-6, with Nylander our only long term piece there whereas Reinhart and Okposo have the right side locked down.

I like what I see with the Eichel-less Sabres. They are becoming a good defensive team. Their transitions from their own end are much much smoother, easier and better than in years before. I think you can attribute this to smarter, more skilled and more experienced players who don't fold under pressure. I was really liking the Bogosian-Kulikov pairing before B got inevitably hurt. 

Kulikov sure has an edge, he can lay people out and he isn't beyond playing dirty. Glad we have someone like that on our side for a change.

They still can't put pucks in the net though but they're big and heavy and fast, hard to play against. Goaltending has been a very pleasant surprise. These two factors keep the scores down. 

When Eichel comes back and reunites with Sam, hopefully we'll see three-four goals a game again which should be more than enough to win in most cases with our d and goalies. I really don't think Kane is smart enough to last a season without a major injury. He's too reckless; it's almost as if he wants to be hurt.

I like what I see especially with the transitions out of the Sabres end and they're only getting better.

I'm not sure this is right. It's my understanding they have him learning LW in Rochester because that's where he has a better chance in the top-6, with Nylander our only long term piece there whereas Reinhart and Okposo have the right side locked down.

You're right about the left wing thing, and about there being more room there.

The Gionta comparison was more about being an all-situations middle six guy - second unit PP, some PK, not afraid to put him out when we are protecting a lead. I suppose Kane might be a better comparison for what I'm trying to say, if they think he has that ceiling.

Right now Bailey projects more to an Ennis/Moulson offensive support winger role. They need him to round out his game.

Edited by dudacek

I like what I see with the Eichel-less Sabres. They are becoming a good defensive team. Their transitions from their own end are much much smoother, easier and better than in years before. I think you can attribute this to smarter, more skilled and more experienced players who don't fold under pressure. I was really liking the Bogosian-Kulikov pairing before B got inevitably hurt. 

Kulikov sure has an edge, he can lay people out and he isn't beyond playing dirty. Glad we have someone like that on our side for a change.

They still can't put pucks in the net though but they're big and heavy and fast, hard to play against. Goaltending has been a very pleasant surprise. These two factors keep the scores down. 

When Eichel comes back and reunites with Sam, hopefully we'll see three-four goals a game again which should be more than enough to win in most cases with our d and goalies. I really don't think Kane is smart enough to last a season without a major injury. He's too reckless; it's almost as if he wants to be hurt.

I like what I see especially with the transitions out of the Sabres end and they're only getting better.

The bolded is what makes me happy.  We have a team that can hang around in a close game.  With just a bit more offense (paging Jack Eichel..... but also as the rest of the team chemistry improves), the wins will come.

I will never forgive the Sabres for 2 meaningless wins last season that moved Sabres from 8th from 6th. So close to having Patrick Laine on the 16/17 roster. Think the Sabres could have used an elite scoring winger? Ugghhhhhh

If there's an alternate reality where that happened, then in that alternate reality different numbers would have been assigned to teams and drawn anyway. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.