2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Gentlemen, lest we forget who assisted on Eichel's first NHL goal?

Not saying Foligno's role should be a permanent seat on the Jack and Sam line, but let's not act like he can't skate with those guys and contribute.

He has no business on a top 6 wing position.  We are at a point where we need to expect better on our team. 

Remember when the team sucked, Moulson Girgensons and Ennis were actually pretty effective and were not the reason the team sucked.  I like the idea of putting that band back together and see if the chemistry returns.  

However, I don't want Hudler, unless he comes here on a camp tryout, and I don't want to rush Nylander.  This is why I place Ennis back in the top 6 at LW and slipped Bailey into Ennis' slot on this line. 

It will be interesting to see how GMTM fills the 7th D slot.  Could Nelson get a shot?  

On the golf course, right? Carrying their clubs and whatnot? I can see it.

Death, taxes, and Dudacek liking depth players more than he should :p

I knew I could count on you old friend.

He has no business on a top 6 wing position.  We are at a point where we need to expect better on our team.

Why do so many get fixated on "top 6" and depth charts? Lines are supposed to be about chemistry and situations.

Foligno wouldn't be with those guys on the PP or down a goal late in the third.

12 minutes of even strength time offering board work, net presence and some old-fashioned protection.

Kane is probably the best fit, but after him the choices aren't great.

Ennis is not a good fit 5 on 5 with those two - too small, defensively flawed and likes to carry the puck too much. Moulson is done.

Girgs would work, but we also need him at centre.

Remember when the team sucked, Moulson Girgensons and Ennis were actually pretty effective and were not the reason the team sucked. I like the idea of putting that band back together and see if the chemistry returns.

However, I don't want Hudler, unless he comes here on a camp tryout, and I don't want to rush Nylander. This is why I place Ennis back in the top 6 at LW and slipped Bailey into Ennis' slot on this line.

It will be interesting to see how GMTM fills the 7th D slot. Could Nelson get a shot?

The team sucked. Dont forget that. Its important. They were the best of a bad lot. And all were out of the positions they should have been in.

Why do so many get fixated on "top 6" and depth charts? Lines are supposed to be about chemistry and situations.

12 minutes of even strength time offering board work, net presence and some old-fashioned protection.

Ennis is not a good fit 5 on 5 with those two - too small, defensively flawed and likes to carry the puck too much. Moulson is done.

How many assists did Eichel not get last season because his wingers werent capable of converting? He should be with wingers that can convert.

Kane is certainly more capable than Foligno. So is a healthy Ennis.

Agreed. I have no interest in wasting more time hoping Foligno can be a top-six player. Or even hoping that he's a bottom-six player that can consistently fill a role next to a star center on a top line.

I want to see Ennis get a full season with Eichel and/or O'Reilly.

I think Ennis and Eichel are a bad match. They both want to carry the puck too much.

Ennis and O'Reilly has promise.

I've been calling for Reinhart between Kane and Ennis for a year now.

The best possible top 6, IMO?

Okposo/Eichel/O'Reilly

Ennis/Reinhart/Kane

Kane is certainly more capable than Foligno. So is a healthy Ennis.

Kane flubbed as many Eichel setups as anyone last year.

Chemistry matters, of course, as do skills and play styles that are complementary of one another. But so does talent. Though Foligno's game had some qualities which fit nicely with Eichel, he doesn't have the skills to hang with him. Girgensons is the better option because he brings what Foligno does, but has more skill (I'm going to stay on this train until it explores in a fiery cataclysm).

At least you've finally conceded that Moulson is finished :)

I think Ennis and Eichel are a bad match. They both want to carry the puck too much.

Ennis and O'Reilly has promise.

I've been calling for Reinhart between Kane and Ennis for a year now.

The best possible top 6, IMO?

Okposo/Eichel/O'Reilly

Ennis/Reinhart/Kane

I agree on Ennis and Eichel not being a good match, and I'd be quite interested in seeing that top 6.

I'd also like to see the following, though, and I think it may align more with DDB's thinking:

Ennis-ROR-Okposo

Kaner-Eichel-Reino

I'd guess that DDB is still inclined to want to protect Eichel with 2nd-line minutes/opposition.

Kane flubbed as many Eichel setups as anyone last year.

Chemistry matters, of course, as do skills and play styles that are complementary of one another. But so does talent. Though Foligno's game had some qualities which fit nicely with Eichel, he doesn't have the skills to hang with him. Girgensons is the better option because he brings what Foligno does, but has more skill (I'm going to stay on this train until it explores in a fiery cataclysm).

At least you've finally conceded that Moulson is finished :)

If we're not putting Ennis or Kane on Eichel's wing, my vote is Girgensons as well. But he'd have a short leash. Gotta produce on that line.

I agree on Ennis and Eichel not being a good match, and I'd be quite interested in seeing that top 6.

I'd also like to see the following, though, and I think it may align more with DDB's thinking:

Ennis-ROR-Okposo

Kaner-Eichel-Reino

I'd guess that DDB is still inclined to want to protect Eichel with 2nd-line minutes/opposition.

This is the top 6 I went with as well. Would look even better with Nash on Eichel's left, but with what we have, and because Kane started to mesh better as the season went on, I give hope to that group.

All these lineups with Kane on Eichel's wing :cry:

This is the top 6 I went with as well. Would look even better with Nash on Eichel's left, but with what we have, and because Kane started to mesh better as the season went on, I give hope to that group.

I think Nash would be freaking perfect there, just don't see how the money works. Even assuming hefty retention by NY, we'd need to shed significant salary to make it work. $4 million+.

I have a tough time figuring out what to do with Ennis, though I do absolutely want him in there assuming he's ready to go. 

I'm hoping one of Bailey or Fasching (or both) is ready to jump in and have a solid rookie season, so that we can move them up into scoring lines with fairly-defensively-responsible players and spread the wealth a bit. Like Rust/Sheary spending the playoffs with Crosby/Malkin, so that Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel could go crazy whatever SJ had left after defending the Crosby/Malkin shifts. 

something like: 
xxx-ROR-Bailey

Girgensons-Eichel-Okposo

Kane-Reinhart-xxx

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta 

I'm not sure I see Ennis fitting in that well on either of those lines, but he's gotta go somewhere. I like him with ROR but I'd like another player on his line that is a little better in the defensive zone, which is why I also picture an ROR-Okposo pairing fairly often (though I can't say I know for sure that Kyle is any better there than Ennis, it's just a baseless impression I have)

A heavy line of Kane-ROR-Okposo definitely sounds appealing too, though I'm not sure we have the winger depth to do it. (I'm picturing late season Kane that showed up with Samson and Eichel here, dishing pucks and evolving into a new player)

It kills me to break up Eichel-Reinhart but I really want Samson developing in his natural spot. 

Keeping together Foligno-Larsson-Gionta is not just assuming they'll be great together like they were down the stretch last year, like I always was when I wanted to see Foligno-Ennis-Stafford in 2012-13 or whatever season came after their nice little run. It's just where those players wind up after I fill out the positions above them.

How about: 

Ennis-ROR-Okposo
Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-Larsson-Bailey/Fasching

Des/Carrier-xxx-Gionta

where I was hoping for a faster/better Legwand signing to take that xxx spot. I'm really sad that we'll probably end up with a patchy fourth line like we had last year, I was hoping to accumulate enough depth (like Vesey) so that it didn't happen that way. 

As of today, I'd roll with this at forward:

Ennis-O'Reilly-Okposo

Kane-Larsson-Gionta

Foligno-COR(God help us)-Carrier

Deslauriers

I don't hate the top-9, but it definitely carries more uncertainty than I'd like to see for a team gunning for the playoffs. The 4th line is a center away from being good (depending on Carrier). Looks like the walking definition of a bubble team to me.

Ennis-O'Reilly-Okposo

Kane-Larsson-Gionta

Deslauriers

I don't hate the top-9, but it definitely carries more uncertainty than I'd like to see for a team gunning for the playoffs. The 4th line is a center away from being good (depending on Carrier). Looks like the walking definition of a bubble team to me.

I'm inclined to agree. Would have really liked to see a LW added to the top 6, not keen on Girgensons in a scoring role. And an addition to the top 6 LW would have greatly increased the odds of the position working out in general, with us only having to count on ONE of Ennis, Girgensons, and Kane to fulfil a top 6 role.

The more I think about it, I'm rather disappointed that Murray didn't add one. The rest of the top 6 looks good, as does the lower portion of the lineup. My expectations are rather.....reasonably limited for this season, with our LW the way it is (sorry, Liger :p).

Bubble team.

Ennis-O'Reilly-Okposo

Kane-Larsson-Gionta

Deslauriers

Why Carrier over Bailey?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.