Powerball

PASabreFan

Soooo just to pee on the parade a bit. Does everyone understand what you take home if you pick "cash value" (btw whoever came up with this teem needs a ###### dictionary) Before uncle Sam even looks at your winnings, it's 750 million. Then after the gov't gets their portion, you get about 300-400 million. A nice payday no doubt but it amazes me how many people don't know this.

The cash jackpot for this drawing is $932m. 

Ok. So you still taking homw less than 500.

I could somehow make due. 

False.

Not false. Here's just one story on it. There are others. Powerball officials have declared an additional $2m into the cash pool since this morning. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/upshot/dear-powerball-winner-take-our-advice-and-take-the-annuity.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

That's $4

Only if one is the PowerBall.  You need three whites to win anything without the PB.

What I don't understand is why the PB, alone, is $4, but the PB + 1 white is ... $4?!  There is 1/3 the chance of getting it, but the payout is the same?  With PB+2 and 3, which have the same payouts, the odds are at least close (1/580 vs. 1/700.)

Soooo just to pee on the parade a bit. Does everyone understand what you take home if you pick "cash value" (btw whoever came up with this teem needs a ###### dictionary) Before uncle Sam even looks at your winnings, it's 750 million. Then after the gov't gets their portion, you get about 300-400 million. A nice payday no doubt but it amazes me how many people don't know this.

It really doesn't matter if they know it though since they're never going to win it.

I suppose it was serious annoying listening to people prancing around talking about how they would spend their billion dollars. After their 3rd purchase, most would be broke.

The annoying part was listening to coworkers telling everyone how much money they'd be giving everyone else. Pfft, off! Maybe that's the reason no one ever asks me to borrow money.....or anything, for that matter.

The annoying part was listening to coworkers telling everyone how much money they'd be giving everyone else. Pfft, ###### off! Maybe that's the reason no one ever asks me to borrow money.....or anything, for that matter.

They had the idiot winners from Tennessee announcing it on the Today Show this morning, before even going to the lottery commission (or whatever they call the people who run this thing).  There's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't be doing, going public.  I suppose you probably have to in some form, but if I won this thing there's no way I'm putting the giant bullseye on my back like that.  Hell, I'd try to avoid telling certain people in my family too.  Oh, and I'm definitely not flying half way across the country with that ticket.

They had the idiot winners from Tennessee announcing it on the Today Show this morning, before even going to the lottery commission (or whatever they call the people who run this thing). There's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't be doing, going public. I suppose you probably have to in some form, but if I won this thing there's no way I'm putting the giant bullseye on my back like that. Hell, I'd try to avoid telling certain people in my family too. Oh, and I'm definitely not flying half way across the country with that ticket.

5 minutes after I won, all traces of my existence would be gone. I'll take care of my family but after that, off.

They had the idiot winners from Tennessee announcing it on the Today Show this morning, before even going to the lottery commission (or whatever they call the people who run this thing).  There's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't be doing, going public.  I suppose you probably have to in some form, but if I won this thing there's no way I'm putting the giant bullseye on my back like that.  Hell, I'd try to avoid telling certain people in my family too.  Oh, and I'm definitely not flying half way across the country with that ticket.

I don't see how anyone would be compelled to appear at a press event, to promote the lottery. Where does it say on the ticket you have to do that? Give me my money, and goodbye. Winners are really stupid to appear at these pressers. Yeah, put your family up there so Russian mobsters or ISIS or your local town creep know who to kidnap. Whom to kidnap. Whatever.

They had the idiot winners from Tennessee announcing it on the Today Show this morning, before even going to the lottery commission (or whatever they call the people who run this thing). There's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't be doing, going public. I suppose you probably have to in some form , but if I won this thing there's no way I'm putting the giant bullseye on my back like that. Hell, I'd try to avoid telling certain people in my family too. Oh, and I'm definitely not flying half way across the country with that ticket.

Depends on the state, some actually do allow anonymity.

I don't see how anyone would be compelled to appear at a press event, to promote the lottery. Where does it say on the ticket you have to do that? Give me my money, and goodbye. Winners are really stupid to appear at these pressers. Yeah, put your family up there so Russian mobsters or ISIS or your local town creep know who to kidnap. Whom to kidnap. Whatever.

I don't think the press event is required, just making your name public.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.