2016 pre-deadline trades

Eleven

Center > defensemen, even if it was Josi for Johansen

Nope. Not getting that far. But I agree Johansen > Jones.

On paper/screen, yes.  But sometimes guys can really have poop for brains and/or bad attitudes, and their talent doesn't outweigh the baggage.  I have no idea whether this is the case with Johansen, but it might be.

I'm going to disagree on who is going to be better, at least with the opinion so far.  I think long run, Jones will be a more valuable player.

Is that a guarantee? of course not. But, Jones is only 21 and already very good. He has the tools to be great, or elite (Norris trophy caliber).  Odds say he is going to get better, and there is a chance he can be a guy that can have an impact on the game at a Doughty/Keith/Weber/Hedman level.  I'm not saying it is happening for sure, but if you made me bet, I'd say Jones will be in that class rather than not be there in a few years.

As far as Johanson...could HE be elite? Sure, but I think there is less of a chance of it.  He's played in the NHL (at least partial seasons) now for 5 years..and has one 30 goal year.  Last year was 26..so that is good, not elite.  Overall, I think Jones, even as a D-man, has a much better chance of being a game-changing player (25+ minute, shut down #1) over Johnason (20-30 a year goal guy, not exactly captain material).

Johansen has never been told he is anything less than special his entire life.

And no affluenza sufferer can ever co-exist with Torts.

But his downside is underachieving first liner.

Jones has franchise upside but he might still peak at puck moving 2nd pair guy.

Nashville trading from a position of strength but is taking a bigger risk.

Very interesting trade.

I'm going to disagree on who is going to be better, at least with the opinion so far.  I think long run, Jones will be a more valuable player.

Is that a guarantee? of course not. But, Jones is only 21 and already very good. He has the tools to be great, or elite (Norris trophy caliber).  Odds say he is going to get better, and there is a chance he can be a guy that can have an impact on the game at a Doughty/Keith/Weber/Hedman level.  I'm not saying it is happening for sure, but if you made me bet, I'd say Jones will be in that class rather than not be there in a few years.

As far as Johanson...could HE be elite? Sure, but I think there is less of a chance of it.  He's played in the NHL (at least partial seasons) now for 5 years..and has one 30 goal year.  Last year was 26..so that is good, not elite.  Overall, I think Jones, even as a D-man, has a much better chance of being a game-changing player (25+ minute, shut down #1) over Johnason (20-30 a year goal guy, not exactly captain material).

Not aimed at you, but I think folks don't realize just how much scoring has come down over the last decade or so. Only 15 players scored 30 goals or more last year. Only 3 scored more than 40 goals.  Johansen was 16th in the NHL in scoring last year at age 22. He was 34th the year before at age 21 (scored 33 goals). In my book, that is "elite" already, or pretty close.  Columbus kept benching him so his ice time dipped there this season, but he has 6 points in his first 4 games with the Preds so far. He and James Neal look deadly as linemates.

ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.

Yeap:

OFFICIAL: #NHLDucks acquire David Perron, Adam Clendening from Pittsburgh for Carl Hagelin: bit.ly/PerronClendeni… pic.twitter.com/peSUEfZyOk

That's a bit of a surprise, but Pittsburgh needed to shake things up. I guess Anaheim did, too.