2016 WJC -- Helsinki Finland

wjag

Thanks, Canada, for tiring out the Swiss.

I haven't caught any of the game today but the Swiss looked damn good defensively yesterday and this score really surprised me when I went to check.  You could tell that the Swiss probably wouldn't have the horses to come back if they got down a couple early but because they scored twice to start the game against Canada they just played Devils style hockey the rest of the way and held on for dear life.  Reminded me of the Olympic game Canada played against Latvia except the Canadians weathered the storm that day because they didn't get down early.

Who else remembers this beauty from 2010?

I do .. A very good, exciting, tense, and satisfying tournament. IIRC we LOST gold IN Canada.

edit to capture the actual result - and not my mind seeing Miller make that save!

Edited by N'eo

My sons traveled on more than one occasion at this age where they, too, played on outclassed teams. It's tough on the players. There are few "moral victories" for 17 and 18 year olds. The schedule did Switzerland no favors and they'll be fighting to avoid relegation.

I would think that Belarus would be the team for relegation. According to the results on the first post of this thread, they have lost every game by a significant margin thus far. and don't appear to have any games remaining.

I would think that Belarus would be the team for relegation. According to the results on the first post of this thread, they have lost every game by a significant margin thus far. and don't appear to have any games remaining.

Quoting myself since I did a minute worth of research and noticed that the bottom two teams play a best of three playoff for relegation. So it looks like it will end up being Belarus v Switzerland.

Is there any way we can finish first in the group?  Such as Canada beating Sweden by a certain goal differential or something?

EDIT:  No.  No there is not.  So we play wither the Finns or the Czechs next.

Edited by Eleven

Who else remembers this beauty from 2010?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9tH0z7U3k

I'll never forget it. Sitting on the couch and holding my drink tight. Parise buries it and I jumped up and the drink flew out of my hand. At that moment I wasn't even concerned about cleaning it up. After Crosby.... crap not even going to say it. We all know what went down. I immediately turned the tv and tended to mess I made. Still, it's one of my favorite hockey moments. A late game tying goal w/ Miller pulled in the Gold medal? Simply priceless. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.