2016 WJC -- Helsinki Finland

wjag

Auston has looked very pedestrian so far; as has Tkachuk. Only two games in, but you can see AM getting frustrated. His puck control is all world, but his play and awareness around the net appears to be lacking.  

Looks to definitely be a step down from the skill of last WJC (which may go down as one of the highest skilled junior tournaments in recent history).

Puljujarvi looks to be the top prospect after two games IMO, and I'd be ecstatic if we somehow lucked into the #2 pick. 

I thought A Nylander looked good on the first day had him and Puljujarvi closely bunched.  How did Nylander look today?

Edited by 3putt

Alex Nylander scored, of course, with some slick hands and a backhand to the roof. It was his only SOG. Combine my ability to analyze, especially on television, the USA's zone time advantage, and the 8 PKs for Sweden and it's tough for me to have a feel for any Swedish forward after today. He made the game's biggest play after the game's biggest mistake.

Alex Nylander scored, of course, with some slick hands and a backhand to the roof. It was his only SOG. Combine my ability to analyze, especially on television, the USA's zone time advantage, and the 8 PKs for Sweden and it's tough for me to have a feel for any Swedish forward after today. He made the game's biggest play after the game's biggest mistake.

Against Sui in a very physical game, Alex created a lot of space and made some great dishes.  I thought he looked as polished as Jessie who was also quite impressive with the way he sees the ice and uses his teamates.  Puljujarvi is bigger though. 

Against Sui in a very physical game, Alex created a lot of space and made some great dishes.  I thought he looked as polished as Jessie who was also quite impressive with the way he sees the ice and uses his teamates.  Puljujarvi is bigger though.

I want to see the Swiss. They're my WJC U20 version of Princeton in NCAA BBall .... underdogs who give someone fits every year.

They have some players playing an uggly game though, 

The hit on William Nylander was pretty damn raw.

It was violent but Nylander has to know better. He plays in the A for Christmas sake. But i like Alex's comment..."I'm the best Nylander so we will be ok." How did he get away from MODO?

2-2 with  2m and change left in regulation

And they're going to overtimeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Who saw THIS coming???

Canada Swiss going to a shoot out

Canada survives Swiss Cheese Scare

Edited by wjag

SUI USA tomorrow. That's a tough back to back for SUI. I'm hoping for tired Swiss legs, reaching sticks, penalties and our power play rebounding.

DeBrincat's status remains unknown. I don't know who dresses in his stead. Poor kid's not seen a second period, yet.

Edit to add: I'm not sure anyone dresses. All I can find are 22 man rosters and 22 dress. I guess we'll learn tomorrow.

Edited by N'eo

SUI USA tomorrow. That's a tough back to back for SUI. I'm hoping for tired Swiss legs, reaching sticks, penalties and our power play rebounding.

DeBrincat's status remains unknown. I don't know who dresses in his stead. Poor kid's not seen a second period, yet.

He could have seriously impacted his draft position as well.  In an event that is supposed to showcase your talents for draft purposes, his tourney maybe over and memorable for two negative plays.

I thought bonehead in game one. I was correct, but fatherly instincts are taking over. I hope the kid rallies. Your point is a good one.

I remember McDavid's first WJC. He skated 4th line, looked like Justin Beiber, and struggled. He, um, rallied, but those first impressions linger. I will always be a Fasching fan.

There are some interesting web articles on Soderstrom, the Swedish goalie and NYI prospect, and his struggles with ADHD and Asperger's.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/12/18/10342930/islanders-goalie-prospect-linus-soderstrom-aspergers-adhd

Max Domi is a Type I diabetic (Juvenile Diabetes). It ain't easy ...

Edited by N'eo

There are some interesting web articles on Soderstrom, the Swedish goalie and NYI prospect, and his struggles with ADHD and Asperger's.http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/12/18/10342930/islanders-goalie-prospect-linus-soderstrom-aspergers-adhd

Max Domi is a Type I diabetic (Juvenile Diabetes). It ain't easy ...

Interesting. Always thought Aspergers had far more in common w/ OCD than w/ ADHD. Surprised that someone on the autistic spectrum would be diagnosed w/ ADHD. Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.