2016 WJC -- Helsinki Finland

wjag

Both teams getting sticks and bodies in lanes. Six of first eight minutes were power play (2 US, 4 SWE).

Impression after 1.25 games - Auston Matthews is good, but I'd not recognize him as jump out of your chair good like I did with McDavid, Eichel, Reinhart, Eberle, RNH, Tavares, etc. Of course, with the talent on the ice in opponents Canada and Sweden, no one's grabbing the puck and going end to end. Disclosure: no one follows my tweets!

Edited by N'eo

End of one, 0-0, for those following at work.

Hard to get a read after one period with five power plays. I thought the first seven or eight minutes belonged to Sweden and the last seven or eight to the US.

US power play features a lot of Matthews on the right half wall/circle and Tkachuk on the right post. Collapsing on this leaves the points, but shots aren't getting through and the big Swedes don't leave much room in front. Good PK for both. Same with goaltending.

I like the US along the boards despite giving away some pounds.

Tkachuk is his dad's son. He'll let you know what he doesn't like.

I'm "seeing" Matthews more. Perhaps I'm learning what to look for. Glimpses of slowing the game down, or the genius of many of the greats.

I want to watch Will Borgen.

Edited by N'eo

Hello,

Love this hockey so much, their spirit is a beauty to watch. 

It should allways be played in Canada though, its amazing for these young players

to be playing infront of 18-20k ppl.

Keep an eye on:

16 Carl Grundström 22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png MODO Hockey

This guy has some nice speed and hands!

Your goalie has been outstanding

I like the way this is called.

Powerplay shot, save, whistle, two USA players on the deck ....

Shots 45 - 17.

MODO -- So close for Grundstrom!

Nedeljkovich robbed him.

Edited by N'eo

I like the way this is called.

Powerplay shot, save, whistle, two USA players on the deck ....

Shots 45 - 17.

MODO -- So close for Grundstrom!

Nedeljkovich robbed him.

Thanks for the updates.  keep them coming....

Tough break for the US when the Too Many Men wasn't called on Sweden on the bad line change. US promptly followed up w/ one of their own when Nelkovich (sp?) didn't come to the bench but hesitated 1/2 way there, which sealed the deal (well, Tkachuk's Head Contact officially sealed it).

They won't get blanked often throwing 45+ shots on net.

Last two minutes -

USA with too many men on the ice when Nedeljkovich leaves for the bench, has to retreat, and a sixth attacker mistakenly joins the ice ... bad execution. Then, in the final minute, Tkachuk two minutes for beheading. Sweden - a tall, positionally sound athletic goaltender - go figure.

Final: 1-0 Sweden. Great game. One goalie stands on his head and the other is beaten only on an odd man rush turned breakaway. I can't remember any other dangerous odd man rushes in the entire game. Great wall and board play, but hard to crack the front of the net. Would DeBrincat be important in a one goal game?

Canada - Sweden's gonna be a game. I saw a chart that showed shots from prime scoring areas in the Canada US game. Canada had many .... This is exactly what Sweden took away from the US today. Interested in Marner, Strome between the dots against the big Swedish defense ... Sweden with Nylander would be scary.

Overall, a great tourney start for the USA in terms of play. Perhaps we see Halverson in net in the next game. Nedeljkovich has played very well, obviously.

Edited by N'eo

Auston has looked very pedestrian so far; as has Tkachuk. Only two games in, but you can see AM getting frustrated. His puck control is all world, but his play and awareness around the net appears to be lacking.  

Looks to definitely be a step down from the skill of last WJC (which may go down as one of the highest skilled junior tournaments in recent history).

Puljujarvi looks to be the top prospect after two games IMO, and I'd be ecstatic if we somehow lucked into the #2 pick. 

Auston has looked very pedestrian so far; as has Tkachuk. Only two games in, but you can see AM getting frustrated. His puck control is all world, but his play and awareness around the net appears to be lacking.

Looks to definitely be a step down from the skill of last WJC (which may go down as one of the highest skilled junior tournaments in recent history).

Puljujarvi looks to be the top prospect after two games IMO, and I'd be ecstatic if we somehow lucked into the #2 pick.

Agreed ... Puljujarvi looked very polished and explosive at the same time. He went to the dirty areas, too. I only saw the condensed 60 minute broadcast which is a bit of a highlight reel. Finland had its way with Belarus. Edited by N'eo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.