Matt Moulson...Wha Happened?

Ghost of Dwight Drane

While I have a proclivity to come to the defense of hard working veterans who are under public attack as young and non grizzled players are given a pass and idolized, I can't argue against anyone saying Moulson has been close to worthless this year.

He was always an opportunist at the least, and a bit of a gritty sniper who is willing to take a beating in front of the crease. He brought a confidence to his game and an upbeat energy to his teammates.

So what is going on? Is there a big life change or personal problems that are distracting him? I remember Drew Stafford getting a pass for a poor season because of the ill health of a relative. Marcell Dareus was given a pass because his brother was killed. What could be distracting Moulson to the point he loses almost all worth?

I believe he has a new person living in his home with him. I see people here speculating as to why Eichel seems disinterested and personal life problems have him in a funk. I see some lighthearted poking at Bogosian that some of his issues may be due to white powder.

So I ask seriously....do you think bringing Jack Eichel into his life 24/7 may have Moulson distracted and or concerned?

I see people here speculating as to why Eichel seems disinterested and personal life problems have him in a funk. 

I'll add: That has been total, complete, and utter speculation based on nothing more than public awareness that Eichel was/is dating Erin Basil of the Basil care dealership family.

I'll also add: If you having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.

No. More seriously: My sense is that hockey players can generally compartmentalize stuff and perform at a normal level in the face of problems with girlfriends/wives/spouses/random chicks at a bar.

what I see is a 32 year old on the downside of his career.  

Seems that way to me.

So I ask seriously....do you think bringing Jack Eichel into his life 24/7 may have Moulson distracted and or concerned?

Possible, but not likely.

I won't ignore the possibility, but what I see is a 32 year old on the downside of his career.  It's a young man's game now.

This.

And this:  We want him to score, sure, but look at the +/-.  He's leading the team.  We want to roll 4 scoring lines, and yes it would be great if he could contribute to that, but if you're not scoring and you're not negative on the +/-, it points to a level of defensive responsibility.  We want everyone to be a sexay goal scorer, but we need people to cover for them to make sure the goals don't come the other way.  If you think lack of scoring equates to lack of contribution, think again.  While more balanced scoring would be desirable, being able to eat minutes without getting scored on is also pretty important.  It may be that at this point, his role is shifting to that of a defensively responsible forward.

But what's the bitchfest in the comment section about?  You can't leave us hanging on this one.

i look at instagram comments on public figures' accounts even less than i look at the politics thread here.

the comments posted to celebs social media accounts are where civilization goes to die.

I'm still waiting to judge anyone associated with this team. That includes the players, the coach, heck, even the announcers. I still see chemistry being the biggest issue this team has right now.

I agree, but I get enough glimpses of the team starting to mesh that I'm encouraged.  After all the losing, we want wins NOW, but I suspect Bylsma has fully briefed and gotten concurrence from GMTM on what he plans to do to build the team on the ice.  Playoffs this year are not the target.  If the Sabres make it to the playoffs it will be a happy coincidence.  But DD is not concerned with that.  His goal is to build a perennial contender, and you don't do that in a single season, even if all the pieces are there (and I think a few more necessary pieces will be coming soon).

Edited by The Big Johnson

I won't ignore the possibility, but what I see is a 32 year old on the downside of his career. It's a young man's game now.

Yup. Moulson was never fast, nor did he have a particularly great shot, nor was he an especially deft passer. He made his money by being fast enough and opportunistic, while willing to go to the net. But when an offensive player relies on marginal skills, and those skills start to go, look out.

I will also respectfully disagree with our sizeable Johnson: Moulson is a disaster defensively. Always has been, but he used to score enough to compensate. Now he doesn't.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Yup. Moulson was never fast, nor did he have a particularly great shot, nor was he an especially deft passer. He made his money by being fast enough and opportunistic, while willing to go to the net. But when an offensive player relies on marginal skills, and those skills start to go, look out.

I will also respectfully disagree with our sizeable Johnson: Moulson is a disaster defensively. Always has been, but he used to score enough to compensate. Now he doesn't.

And as has been oft stated here, +/- isn't a terribly useful stat. That 1st goal the Sabres gave up last night got Kane & Eichel well deserved -'s, but Moulson managed to sneak off while Kane was turning the puck over through the neutral zone. Moulson deserved that - just as much as his linemates did for taking the better part of a minute to get out of the zone in the 1st place. Matt had at least 2 chances to get it out, and failed. But on the stat sheet - he looks defensively responsible. He wasn't there.

The way the Sabres play now... quick ups, north south speed game... he just doesn't fit in.   He's slow, his game is around the net, but he can't get there when he's consistently behind the play

Sucks that he has a NTC, and at 5mil/yr for a 10 goal season... makes me say.... yeichel!

The way the Sabres play now... quick ups, north south speed game... he just doesn't fit in.   He's slow, his game is around the net, but he can't get there when he's consistently behind the play

Sucks that he has a NTC, and at 5mil/yr for a 10 goal season... makes me say.... yeichel!

Nothing, even Moulson's situation, can make me ever say that word.  <_<

He's slow, his game is around the net, but he can't get there when he's consistently behind the play

This seems right.

makes me say.... yeichel!

Nothing, even Moulson's situation, can make me ever say that word.  <_<

Did I hear right that WGR is packaging and pushing that signature call with one of its promos?

This seems right.

Did I hear right that WGR is packaging and pushing that signature call with one of its promos?

I haven't heard the promo, but I wouldn't be surprised.  It's obviously going to be forced upon us, despite how terrible it is.  :censored:

What is this thread going to look like in the 2018-2019 season?

I think his woes are a combination of his age catching up with him coupled with the 5x5 jackpot he hit when he re-signed here. Why stand in front of the net every night and get the beaten out of you now that he's made all that money? He's playing for pride now and I'm sure this slump will end and he'll start lighting the lamp again. The question is how many more of these 20+ game slumps are we going to see out of Matty Mo?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.