Rasmus Ristolainen - What's he worth?

LGR4GM

Rasmus is getting a raise. I big freaking raise. So you can sign him for up to 8 years... how many years and how much money?

I say 7.25mil X8 years.

Before tonights Redwings game for defenders:

5th in goals

7th in assists

5th in points

9th in ppp

8th in shots and

20th in TOI

Edited by LGR4GM

If he continues his current pace for the rest of the season then I think they immediately go long-term. If he levels out a bit I imagine they try to get him up until his last restricted year (but may fail in doing so and also risk alienating him).

Erik Karlsson signed for 7 years at $45.5M as a 22-year-old dman coming off his entry-level deal just three years ago. That's $6.5M per.

Oh, did I mention he signed that deal coming off his first Norris Trophy?

Understanding inflation I don't think he should get more than what Karlsson got. He's not as good as Karlsson was (likely better defensively but Karlsson's among the best with the puck on his stick).

Give him 8 years, $52M ($6.5M per) if you see enough throughout the rest of the season to commit definitively long-term.

Editor's note: Erik Karlsson's agent is either an idiot or he loves Ottawa a lot. His contract is an outlier considering several other lesser and older dmen signed much richer contracts. Liger's original proposal seems fair. Don't hire Karlsson's agent.

Edited by Hoss

If he continues his current pace for the rest of the season then I think they immediately go long-term. If he levels out a bit I imagine they try to get him up until his last restricted year (but may fail in doing so and also risk alienating him).

Erik Karlsson signed for 7 years at $45.5M as a 22-year-old dman coming off his entry-level deal just three years ago. That's $6.5M per.

Oh, did I mention he signed that deal coming off his first Norris Trophy?

Understanding inflation I don't think he should get more than what Karlsson got. He's not as good as Karlsson was (likely better defensively but Karlsson's among the best with the puck on his stick).

Give him 8 years, $52M ($6.5M per) if you see enough throughout the rest of the season to commit definitively long-term.

Editor's note: Erik Karlsson's agent is either an idiot or he loves Ottawa a lot. His contract is an outlier considering several other lesser and older dmen signed much richer contracts. Liger's original proposal seems fair. Don't hire Karlsson's agent.

Your editor's note honestly cracked me up. Well done.

Anyway, my hope is the $6.5x8 is actually viable. Klingberg just signed this offseason for $4.25x7. Key difference is he only had one NHL season under his belt, but it was also a better season than Risto has had (excluding his start to this season). I don't want to include a cap inflation factor until we actually know what the cap is, but Risto getting an extra $2.25 million per season seems like it would nicely account for a higher cap and Risto having an extra NHL season played. I'm willing to go higher, but that mid-6 range would be my goal.

Whatever it is they should work an extra couple/few mil a year into the first couple years and pay less later to offset the bigger contracts that will come with winning hockey

That does nothing beneficial for the salary cap. In fact, if the $'s decrease too much at the back end, it actually ends up worse for the cap if he doesn't play for the entire contract length.

O'Reilly and Ristolainen will be taking up 20~25% of your salary cap in 2 years then.

Yzerman/Lidstrom

Gretzky/Coffey

Bossy/Potvin

Toews/Keith

O'Reilly/ Ristolainen????

A little less than 20%, maybe. (I projected a cap of $75M and combined cap hits of $14.5M (if either of those are way off, my bad)).

In either case, they would consume a goodly chunk, to be sure. Of course, they're also pieces around which the team is building. So that makes sense.

I was surprised that Toews and Keith consume just a bit more in cap hit than ROR and Risto might. Of course, the Blackhawks had the advantage of getting that Keith deal back when the ridiculous contracts were still being handed out, so his cap hit is surprisingly manageable given its lengthy term.

also, the trajectory of the cap in the NHL is fairly astonishing. it stayed fairly flat in the midst of the global financial crisis. but other than that? steady increases. bubble alert?

bf050169406d8bee39f76894e52a8da6.png

O'Reilly and Ristolainen will be taking up 20~25% of your salary cap in 2 years then.

Yzerman/Lidstrom

Gretzky/Coffey

Bossy/Potvin

Toews/Keith

O'Reilly/ Ristolainen????

So the Sabres won't be one of the all-time dynasties. These are the cats Murray is going to hitch his wagon to, among others. The die is cast. Being skeptical of the kids makes sense, but you don't believe in O'Reilly either?

So the Sabres won't be one of the all-time dynasties. These are the cats Murray is going to hitch his wagon to, among others. The die is cast. Being skeptical of the kids makes sense, but you don't believe in O'Reilly either?

It's also a lot easier picking the best tandems of all time in retrospect. Granted there our players so of course we're going to be more optimistic than anyone else, but nothing, analytically or from other sports writers, has indicated ROR and Risto aren't the real deal. HOF good? I don't know

I said O'Reilly was the top of the actual core.

I'm just saying if you want to give Ristolainin that type of money, you are burning 20% of your cap right there. You have to admit that you are overpaying O'REILLY for intangibles and to get him to sign a contract off of the trade. On pure talent and scoring potential he isn't worth that much. It gives you less wiggle room to be wrong on other big contracts.

You have to admit that you are overpaying O'REILLY for intangibles and to get him to sign a contract off of the trade. On pure talent and scoring potential he isn't worth that much. It gives you less wiggle room to be wrong on other big contracts.

All fair.

I don't think there can be any doubt that GM TM envisioned ROR as the heart and soul of the team he wanted to build. If this core has a single player at its center, it is ROR. 

So, there ya go.

I think I've heard it from you before that pure scoring talent isn't what puts you over the top in the spring anyway. Yeah?

I think I've heard it from you before that pure scoring talent isn't what puts you over the top in the spring anyway. Yeah?

If you are Jack Eichel - scoring doesn't matter because you are a . If you are Ryan O'Reilly heart and soul doesn't matter because you lack scoring prowess. See how that works?

I said O'Reilly was the top of the actual core.

I'm just saying if you want to give Ristolainin that type of money, you are burning 20% of your cap right there. You have to admit that you are overpaying O'REILLY for intangibles and to get him to sign a contract off of the trade. On pure talent and scoring potential he isn't worth that much. It gives you less wiggle room to be wrong on other big contracts.

If 14 year backdiving contracts were still a thing, I'd agree. But today, it's just not true. In a league where superstars get over $10 million per year, O'Reilly-types are absolutely worth the $7.5 million range. The better players are going to take up a higher percentage of the cap than in years past, just the way it is. What it really means is you can't afford to pay your 4th liners $2 million (I'm lookin' at you, Marcus Foligno).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.