Why is Babcock considered to be a great coach?

z-man

Why is Babcock considered to be such a great coach? 

He won one cup with a good team. So did many others (including Bylsma, Torts, and others who were available last offseason). 

The wings still have the second best record in the NHL without him. The Leafs suck even worse with him.

I don't get why he keeps getting cited for the Olympic Gold...I could coach the Canadians to a gold while blind drunk. 

Maybe I'm just saying this because he's arrogant, but I'm just not seeing it.

He won one cup with a good team. So did many others (including Bylsma, Torts, and others who were available last offseason). 

The wings still have the second best record in the NHL without him. The Leafs suck even worse with him.

I don't get why he keeps getting cited for the Olympic Gold...I could coach the Canadians to a gold while blind drunk. 

The Wings made the playoffs every single year he was there.  They were a very consistent team, that is part of it. Someone else with more knowledge than me would have to answer the rest.

I agree with you though.  I think Bylsma can be just as effective as Babcock

The Canadian media (mostly Toronto) have been talking about how his coaching is so good that he has the Leafs overachieving right now

I never understood the hype even when the Sabres were pushing for him, his cup win came with Detroit at theirs of their prime. Since then they seem to be getting slowly worse each year (yet still a playoff team). If you listen to his former players, seems like none were sad to see him go

Bylsma has the same number of cups (one) and has a higher all-time winning percentage than Babcock.  Each had great players, etc., etc., etc., but I'm not sure we "lost" by getting Bylsma instead of Babcock.

Speaking of Babcock, I'll see him tonight.  Will be at the Preds - Leafs game.  Go Preds!

Also Byslma should probably have 2 cup rings.  Marc Andre Fleury is a nightmare in the playoffs.

These are MAF sv% from the cup win through Bylsma's firing:

09-10: .891%

10-11: .899%

11-12: .834%

12-13: .883%

13-14: .915%

No team is winning anything with that GT mess around. 

Babcock is one of the game's most respected coaches by way of line combinations, match-ups and overall game strategy.   The Red Wings won the Central 5 of his first 6 years with the team, putting up over 100 points in 8 of the 10 years he was with Detroit.

The Wings made the playoffs every single year he was there.  They were a very consistent team, that is part of it.

Through much of their 24(?) year playoff run, they could have made the playoffs with Nolan.  In fact one could argue that Babs oversaw a general decline in the Wings competitiveness.  They're my wife's favorite team and she couldn't wait for them to dump him.

It would be quite entertaining in the future if the Sabres lose the draft lottery end up With EIchle and lose out on Babcock and settle for Blysma only to see the EIchel having a better career than McDavid and Blysma more success behind the Sabres bench then Babcock in Toronto

Basically we lose twice but both losses turn out to be difference making positives

Edited by ddaryl

Robi (Mike) was talking about Babcock during the Sabres' attempts to sign him, and he said some very specific things about how smart, hard-working, well-prepared, diligent, and creative the guy was with how he develops players, implements systems, game-plans for specific opponents, and then isolates good matchups on an in-game basis. Robi essentially said that Babcock was a guy who raised the bar on what a hockey coach can accomplish. I credit what Mike said.

A few weeks ago, I heard a seasoned player -- someone still with DET -- say that there are now a number of imitators of Babcock out there in the league, and that the competitive advantage Babcock used to create isn't as great anymore because so many people have taken from what he's developed.

Basically, it seems pretty well accepted in hockey circles that the guy is a terrific hockey coach, and an innovator.

I think the Red Wings have looked a lot worse, personally. Though I don't know how much of that to put on coaching.

Yep. Our superstars are retired or getting close, and are constantly injured (Lidstrom retired, Datsyuk's hurt more than he's not, Zetterberg has chronic back problems, Kronwall's getting up there). Our goalie situation isn't great. Currently Detroit is in a transitional period- the only reason we're barely hanging in our 24 year playoff streak is because the development system was set up so well. The new kids are mostly Blashill's Calder Cup winning (2013) Grand Rapids Griffins. They are talented, but growing pains/figuring out how to play at an NHL level has looked a bit... painful. Then there's Quincey getting stupid penalties and being a jerk. Oh well, he's out with an ankle injury for most the season. Hell, the new kids are fighting each other during practice (Pulkkinen and Smith reportedly, today). 

Keep in mind Blashill, the current coach, was/is pretty close to Babs, so he, like many other coaches now, is attempting to implement Bab style coaching. Babcock was stern, had that "lovable strict high school coach" thing going with his running around the arena before every game thing and respect for players. None of that Tortorella bombast or Roy insanity. As far as coaches go, he's good and fairly even keeled. 

I think it was time to move on though. I don't know about stagnant, but the glory years of his time were waning, time for someone new. 

I don't care what coach got Toronto, it's like squeezing water from a rock. If he can do it, my god, get that man a Jack Adams. Sorry for the homerism, I definitely suffer from it- Babs is still loved here, but damn do we enjoy watching his infamous stare when we beat Toronto in the JLA. 

I think the Red Wings have looked a lot worse, personally. Though I don't know how much of that to put on coaching.

It's a transitional year.  I bet they make the playoffs again.

I think it was time to move on though. I don't know about stagnant, but the glory years of his time were waning, time for someone new. 

What do you think of Dylan Larkin?  Looks like he's well on his way to being a star, almost like another Stevie Y.

What do you think of Dylan Larkin?  Looks like he's well on his way to being a star, almost like another Stevie Y.

Larkin is pretty well loved by all the Red Wing fans I know. I'm personally pretty impressed. We'll see if it maintains, but he holds up well in the NHL thus far. He's got some p!ss n vinegar in him, which I like to see. I've heard the Yzerman comparison a few times, but I kinda stay away from making those judgements early on... 

Yep. Our superstars are retired or getting close, and are constantly injured (Lidstrom retired, Datsyuk's hurt more than he's not, Zetterberg has chronic back problems, Kronwall's getting up there). Our goalie situation isn't great. Currently Detroit is in a transitional period- the only reason we're barely hanging in our 24 year playoff streak is because the development system was set up so well. The new kids are mostly Blashill's Calder Cup winning (2013) Grand Rapids Griffins. They are talented, but growing pains/figuring out how to play at an NHL level has looked a bit... painful. Then there's Quincey getting stupid penalties and being a jerk. Oh well, he's out with an ankle injury for most the season. Hell, the new kids are fighting each other during practice (Pulkkinen and Smith reportedly, today). 

Keep in mind Blashill, the current coach, was/is pretty close to Babs, so he, like many other coaches now, is attempting to implement Bab style coaching. Babcock was stern, had that "lovable strict high school coach" thing going with his running around the arena before every game thing and respect for players. None of that Tortorella bombast or Roy insanity. As far as coaches go, he's good and fairly even keeled. 

I don't care what coach got Toronto, it's like squeezing water from a rock. If he can do it, my god, get that man a Jack Adams. Sorry for the homerism, I definitely suffer from it- Babs is still loved here, but damn do we enjoy watching his infamous stare when we beat Toronto in the JLA. 

Thanks for the insight. I definitely am not down on their long-term outlook, and would agree it looks to be a transition year. And with the Atlantic looking to be so bad, they might be able to squeeze out home ice anyway.

Edit: And feel better quick Josie, so sorry to hear about the injury!

Edited by Randall Flagg

Larkin is pretty well loved by all the Red Wing fans I know. I'm personally pretty impressed. We'll see if it maintains, but he holds up well in the NHL thus far. He's got some p!ss n vinegar in him, which I like to see. I've heard the Yzerman comparison a few times, but I kinda stay away from making those judgements early on... 

I've seen several of the Red Wing games, so I've seen Larkin play.  To be honest, the Yzerman comparison jumped into my mind when I asked the question.  I agree it's early to anoint him to such a high title, but he definitely looks promising.  From what I've been seeing, this year's NHL rookie class (consisting of draft picks from this year and last year) could end up being being as influential on the NHL as the 1983 QB draft was on the NFL.  There is just a boatload of new talent everywhere it seems.

Robi (Mike) was talking about Babcock during the Sabres' attempts to sign him, and he said some very specific things about how smart, hard-working, well-prepared, diligent, and creative the guy was with how he develops players, implements systems, game-plans for specific opponents, and then isolates good matchups on an in-game basis. Robi essentially said that Babcock was a guy who raised the bar on what a hockey coach can accomplish. I credit what Mike said.

A few weeks ago, I heard a seasoned player -- someone still with DET -- say that there are now a number of imitators of Babcock out there in the league, and that the competitive advantage Babcock used to create isn't as great anymore because so many people have taken from what he's developed.

Basically, it seems pretty well accepted in hockey circles that the guy is a terrific hockey coach, and an innovator.

the trick, as always, is to maintain the innovation so that others never catch up (Apple vs. Blackberry).  Will be interesting to see if he can continue to innovate, or if what he brought to DET is all he's got (which apparently was substantial).

Edited by We've

Huh? The Wings have the 16th best record in the league. Did you mean division?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.