McDavid breaks collarbone. Out "Long Term"

dejeanneret

I think it makes it worse.  Now his accomplishments can be questioned as to whether McDavid would have performed better or not.

This is a disgusting viewpoint.  Hoping someone gets injured.  It's just disgusting.  Real fans don't want McDavid to be a flop, they don't want the other team to suck, they just want their team to be better.

Not a roar of delight.  The Cowboys fans gave a pretty good cheer for the Seahawks player who suffered a serious neck injury in the game.  That's what SHOULD happen.  In your case you'd be Dez Bryant out there on the field saying he got what he deserved (if you believe the media report).  You might as well stop on the side of the road when you see an accident and start laughing at people.  

Disgusting. You might be the first person I ever put on ignore.

This whole thing is hilarious to me. Like PA wants the guy to die, or be paralyzed. How revolting, how absolutely heinous and abhorrent that PA wants less competition. I mean, it really is just disgusting. Out of all of the crimes in the world, all of the views, this one takes the cake. It's just so disgraceful, I don't think I can sleep tonight

Seriously?  Your goal in life is to succeed by destroying others rather than building yourself up to be better than they are?  Let's say Brady tears his ACL.  Let's say the Bills win.  You get no satisfaction because every Pats fan is going to simply say, "Didn't have Brady".  You'll say... "So what the Bills still won."  Their response? "Yep, they won, when the best QB in the game wasn't playing."  You don't get your comeuppance.  You don't get to gloat because it's meaningless.  Just like no Patriots fan gets to talk smack to a Giants fan.  Can't do it.  Why?  0-2 when it matters.

I don't give a damn what they think, I would get every ounce of satisfaction regardless of who we play. Trophies aren't given for the hardest road paved, or the best team, they're given to the team that wins. Otherwise, the Bills would have two SB's. This whole thing is absurd. I say the same thing to my buddy who is a Pats fan every year. "You cheated for every SB" "At least we've won one". And then I'm quite. Nobody cares how you do it, as long as it gets done.

Even better, sometimes the placement of hardware can lead to a MRSA infection in the bone itself. Rejoice!

Being on the ice is a bigger threat to the long term health of every hockey player than being in the press box. This injury will likely extend the useful life of McDavid's brain. 

#IStandWithPA

What about life threatening illness though? I pray to raptor Jesus for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick to get stricken with aids or ass cancer all the time. Does that make me a bad person? Does it mean I won't get to go to heaven and play football with regular Jesus once the rapture happens?

:lol:  :lol:

Edited by WildCard

What about life threatening illness though? I pray to raptor Jesus for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick to get stricken with aids or ass cancer all the time. Does that make me a bad person? Does it mean I won't get to go to heaven and play football with regular Jesus once the rapture happens?

What you're really praying for is to be able to beat their team though, right? Not the injury. Just better odds at victory. 

Beating the Pats without Brady and Bill would be a positive outcome on the score sheet.

But we all know beating the Pats WITH Brady and Bill holds a lot more value. Value that goes beyond simply adding 1 to the win column.

Moving on to PA...

Whatever the hell is going on in this thread, I think it's natural to want a player like McDavid not facing you in a game where your team wants the best odds of winning.

That said, I think most of us appreciate the value that defeating a team with a healthy McDavid adds to the quality of the win.

We've certainly spent a lot of time here talking down the Hurricanes win over us in 06 due to injuries. Would we not do the same thing to our own successes? If we beat an Edmonton team sans McDavid for a Cup there is no doubt that we'd be talking down our own victory, no? 

There's certainly some "warrior" mindset here. The glory of a victory is always relative to the strength of the competition. There's also more nobility in defeat in this same way. 

I don't think these concepts are something you can just undo from how we are socialized to think. We pay too much respect to the warrior code for it to be put on a box on a shelf. 

Yep, I know that when the other team has a breakaway on our goalie, I am rooting for a laser shot to extreme top corner blocker side so our goalie can make a highlight reel save. I would never root for that shot to suck, 10 feet wide. Oh, heaven's to Betsy! This isn't youth soccer where you hope both teams play super and everybody has fun. Miss the net McDavid! And break your wrist while doing it, ideally.

Is that John Houseman as a Thanksgiving turduckurtle?

Ha. You've never witnessed a competitive youth soccer game then. Bloodsport.

Those can corrode over time, no? Necessitating replacement?

Not really, screws are titanium, plates are usually light weight stainless steel.  MRSA infections are related to sterility of the field and post bandaging issues.  Plus they can be removed after healing. 

Sometimes they just wire them.  That being said when I first heard plates and screws, I was thinking crap be careful what you wish for... now we have bionic McJesus... :)

Ha. You've never witnessed a competitive youth soccer game then. Bloodsport.

Yes, I once photographed a goalie getting knocked out in a high school game after bouncing off a big D guy who moved up for a header.  Kid was still in batman land 15 minutes later when he finally realized his mom was at his side though she had been there for 10 minutes.

Edited by North Buffalo

What you're really praying for is to be able to beat their team though, right? Not the injury. Just better odds at victory. 

Beating the Pats without Brady and Bill would be a positive outcome on the score sheet.

But we all know beating the Pats WITH Brady and Bill holds a lot more value. Value that goes beyond simply adding 1 to the win column.

Moving on to PA...

Whatever the hell is going on in this thread, I think it's natural to want a player like McDavid not facing you in a game where your team wants the best odds of winning.

That said, I think most of us appreciate the value that defeating a team with a healthy McDavid adds to the quality of the win.

We've certainly spent a lot of time here talking down the Hurricanes win over us in 06 due to injuries. Would we not do the same thing to our own successes? If we beat an Edmonton team sans McDavid for a Cup there is no doubt that we'd be talking down our own victory, no? 

There's certainly some "warrior" mindset here. The glory of a victory is always relative to the strength of the competition. There's also more nobility in defeat in this same way. 

I don't think these concepts are something you can just undo from how we are socialized to think. We pay too much respect to the warrior code for it to be put on a box on a shelf. 

No, I'm praying for the aids and ass cancer. That not only eliminates them from the game against my team, it eliminates them from contention permanently, although Magic Johnson played again so I may have to make it some kind of Super Aids or some kind of toxic waste "accident" where their faces melt off instead. Maybe some sort of flesh eating virus where they just disintegrate slowly into the piles of dung that they are.

Don't get me wrong I completely understand about your preference to beat the best competition when they are at their absolute best, but I just don't care about that crap. Even if the Bills were able to make Tom Brady our prison bitch for the next handful of years until he finally retires every Pats fan would still have the argument that we couldn't beat them when he was in his prime so it would kind of be bittersweet anyway.

Yep, I know that when the other team has a breakaway on our goalie, I am rooting for a laser shot to extreme top corner blocker side so our goalie can make a highlight reel save. I would never root for that shot to suck, 10 feet wide. Oh, heaven's to Betsy! This isn't youth soccer where you hope both teams play super and everybody has fun. Miss the net McDavid! And break your wrist while doing it, ideally.

Soooo, you don't like hockey, got it.

I feel I am a pretty big sports fan. Just can't get myself to the point of wishing injury on a player.

I'm with you on that, except in cases where the player seems to inflict a disproportionate number of injuries on other players. Lucic, Scott Stevens, etc., I quietly smile to myself in that case. McDavid as far as I know has done nothing other than play some really great hockey so I don't want to see him seriously injured.

I'm with you on that, except in cases where the player seems to inflict a disproportionate number of injuries on other players. Lucic, Scott Stevens, etc., I quietly smile to myself in that case. McDavid as far as I know has done nothing other than play some really great hockey so I don't want to see him seriously injured.

Well, he did board the bejeesus out of that one guy.

:ph34r:

(Oduya?)

I may have underestimated the force of McJesus on this board. Interesting. I am reminded of something Jack's dad was quoted in SI as saying when some reporter ball-washed his son in an interview. "What's he (Jack) ever done?!" What's McDavid ever done? You would think I wished for Mother Teresa to drown in the Ghaghara River. All I'm asking here is McDavid to pass out in a snowbank and lose all his fingers and toes to frostbite. Jeez.

I may have underestimated the force of McJesus on this board. Interesting. I am reminded of something Jack's dad was quoted in SI as saying when some reporter ball-washed his son in an interview. "What's he (Jack) ever done?!" What's McDavid ever done? You would think I wished for Mother Teresa to drown in the Ghaghara River. All I'm asking here is McDavid to pass out in a snowbank and lose all his fingers and toes to frostbite. Jeez.

You monster

Hmmmm. Surgery is not the standard of care for a clavicular fracture. Either Bob has no clue what he's talking about or McDavid has something a little more than just a fractured clavicle.

Based on my non-medical experience (having friends and family endure them), that is my understanding as well. But it may be a unique break. Or maybe he's going the hardware route in an effort to get back sooner.

Based on my non-medical experience (having friends and family endure them), that is my understanding as well. But it may be a unique break. Or maybe he's going the hardware route in an effort to get back sooner.

Yeh it really depends on how displaced the fx and if it is multiple. Usually multiple, usually see them from motorcycle and skateboard accidents. It really takes a lot to fx a clavicle.

I'm no doc, but google gave me this, suggesting that displaced fractures can call for surgery/hardware and provide greater shoulder strength upon recovery.  I've got hardware in my knee that I never had removed.  You can see/feel them through the skin, but they don't bother me one bit.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00072