Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

Interview with Linus Ullmark in local newspaper here in Ornskoldsvik, ill try translate together with google translate.

http://www.allehanda.se/ishockey/nhl/ullmark-om-nhl-livet-storsta-hindret-och-modos-betydelse-jag-lever-min-drom#Ishockey

980.jpg?782bb5a5864a585228cf24e785caf545

For a little more than two years ago Linus Ullmark played in Modo J20 (Junior elite team) and met teams like Mora and Vasteras facing audience with around 100 spectators.

Today he is one of the NHL's hottest young goalkeepers, meet super stars like Jamie Benn and Steven Stamkos and highlighted as Sweden's next great goalie.

An okay trip.

- It is absolutely incredible. I can see myself still ride around in Lugnvik rink fact, he says, laughing.

It was not like this Linus Ullmark had imagined his first year in North America. He would not be goalie in Buffalo, being praised by coaches, teammates and experts.
He would not compete with Chad jonsson and create headaches for coach Dan Bylsma about who is the team's number one between the posts.
He would surely try to take the n1 goalie in Rochester Americans of the AHL, establish himself in the minor league to then try take that famous stage within two years to NHL.

Once a quarter of the season has passed, you can not do other than observe that nothing was as Linus Ullmark had imagined.

- No, not really. I had before the season set a goal that I would take a first spot in the AHL and not rush with anything, like taking the step to the NHL. I would take the first year in the AHL, get into the North American style off and on the ice, get to know the country and so on. Then I got the chance with Buffalo, it was nothing I expected.

If we look back at the Linus Ullmarks career, it does not take long to realize that he was always surprised. Things have not quite turned out as he had imagined.
First, he did not come in to the hockey school in Ornskoldsvik at age 16. He was not good enough, it was considered. Instead, he embarked hockey trip to the hockey school in Kramfors (70 km from Ornskoldsvik).
But there, he was not prolonged.

A week after the start at Kramfors hockey school, Lars Bergman, head of hockeygym, called Linus in his office and explained that he could no longer go there in Kramfors. Linus was stunned speechless - until Bergman explained that Modo wanted him on the hockey school in Ornskoldsvik.
There and then began the journey that has now taken him to the world's best hockey league.

- I am incredibly grateful that I could go to the hockey school in Ornskoldsvik which had great goalie coaches, players and managers throughout my time there. It was where I felt I could be anything. Before it was mostly dreams, but the more I played the more I set up goals.

Goals he set up, short and long term. A development staircase where it was about to take step by step. First, establish in J18, J20, and then finally the A-team. The idea when he took the step to the A-team was that he would see and learn from Bernard Starkbaum during his first-team season. But when Modo got rid of him and focused on youths Linus Ullmark and Anton Forsberg was the n1 goaliespot a fact.
He had reached its first goal. 2013/2014 he was appointed SHL's best goalie, and later that year he won the Bronze Medal with Sweden.

After last season, which was tough and demanding, both for Linus and Modo, it was time to take the next step in his career. Now he would pack his suitcase to try to make his dream come true: to become a NHL goalie.

- It feels surreal, all this. I had no expectations of being up here in the NHL, every week here is just a bonus for me. It's great to play in this league, and every day I just go around and smile. I'm living my dream, he says, listening trough the headset you can tell he is smiling over the phone.

Do you feel as an NHL player for real?

- No, I see myself still ride around in Lugnvik ice rink in fact, Linus says, laughing. It is hard to understand that I am here and that I have come this far. This is a huge opportunity for me.

Eight games in the NHL, it has been so far for Linus. When Robin Lehner broke down at the start of the season and Chad Johnson did not live up to the expectations, Ullmark was moved up from the Rochester Americans. It did not take long before he became the Buffalo goalkeeper who stood most matches. Despite the feeling Linus cannot call himself first goalkeeper in Buffalo. There is a long way, he says.

- I really do not feel like I have taken the first shovel. It is such a good league and I have got very good help in the matches I stood. I can not take much cred from those games, we have played a good defense. Then its easy for me to stand in the goal. But I do not really feel that I have the first shovel, Linus says, explaining that there is a big difference to be goalie in the NHL compared with SHL.
- Just the intensity is generally greatest difference. People talk about speed, but the actuall intensity differs the most. All players are so skilled that they can lure up an defenceman in the stands and pinch up the puck in the first corner. You have to be extremely focused every game, otherwise let go five or six pucks within one-two periods. That is how bloody it can get.

You have been praised by Dan Bylsma and he has hinted that you are about to become Buffalo's first goalkeeper, how is your relationship with him?

- I do not have as much contact with the coaches actually, I speak most with goalie coach. He is our coach more than the head coach. We are in discussion with each other and everything that the coach says is done more behind the scenes.

Andrew Allen is Buffalo's goalkeeper coach. 38-year-old was hired last summer by the club and has so far made a great impression on management.
He has also been a major reason why Linus Ullmark performed as he had done. Andrew and Linus is in many ways just as much friends as goalkeeper coach and goalkeeper. Sounds familiar? There was known in Modo management team that Linus had the same relationship?

- Andrew and 'mask' (Maciej Szwoch) is quite similar personalities. Both works on a personal level, which is important to me. That you do not have the feeling when you come to training: "Oh no, now I have to meet this hefty person." It will be easy so if you do not click on a personal level. I really enjoy working with Andrew and we have a good talk all the time about what will be better and he gives me tips on everything.
- I'm talking to 'mask' now and then. He sees the games and still gives me some tips, but the relationship is more like two friends instead of coaches and players.

When Modos famous vintage 1973 group of players, are asked "How could you be so good?" They always say it was a tough and mutual competition, which constantly pushed it one step further.
The same applies to Linus Ullmark and Anton Forsberg. Their ability to make each other better over time in Modo is a strong reason for both now playing in North America. In an experience Linus can share with Robin Lehner. Therefore, he does not see it as a problem that Buffalo's proposed first goalkeeper soon be back from his injury.

- It was very sad that he got injured in his first game, but I see nothing negative in that he comes back now. He is a good goalkeeper who has been in the NHL for a while. There will be greater competition course for me and it can happen that I get sent down, but then I just accept it and make the best of it in the AHL.

You and Anton Forsberg pushed and always helped each other, how is your relationship with Lehner? Are there any similarities?

- Well, clearly there are. But it is a different situation now that Robin is damaged. Meanwhile, he and Chad Johnson has been really good to me and always supported me. Whenever I had questions, they have taken the time and answered. They have been mature and helpful.

22 years old predicted Linus Ullmark looks to become one of Sweden's most prominent goalkeeper in the future. Not bad for a guy who was not part of the TV-Puck or JVM.

When Erik Granqvist(Swedens most famous sports commentator) visited Hockey Pulse two weeks ago he highlighted Ullmark the goalkeeper who will take over after Henrik Lundqvist.
When I tell it to Linus over the phone, you can hear the pride in his voice through.

- 'Grana' is an absolutely fantastic person through and through. When he says that about me, it pleases me a lot. It makes me ... yes, very proud indeed.

Then Linus returns to a more serious tone.

- At the same time I can not focus on what happens in the future, but I have to focus on what's happening now. I must perform now to get where Erik think I can be. This is the highest level and I have to stay sharp and constantly evolving. Otherwise, it can get ugly quickly.

What then, Modos perhaps the greatest goalie talent ever does battle with the best in their new life across the Atlantic? Sure, exercise dose is different, trips and more games tougher and more intense. But there is a greater obstacle, actually. That which most have little difficult to handle.

- I try to think about the food and what I eat. It is easy here to put on a few pounds, given what is going on and what you get to eat. It's actually what I work extra with.

Is it an different food culture you mean?

- Let me put it this way: There is a lot of sugar and there is a lot of fat in the products. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. We are trying to find other products such as sugar-free muesli, for example.

Are you a bit of a sweet tooth, then?

- I have a talent for sweets, yes. I can confirm that, and that doesnt really help my cause, he says, laughing.

Is there a difference in how Modo and Buffalo work with the diet?

- No, I would not say. Swedish and American breakfast are so different. Swedish yogurt does not exist here, but it is Greek yogurt and I mostly prefer plain yogurt. The most common here is the bacon, french toast, waffles and such. There are good and bad things about the food here. Lunches are for example quite good.

When Linus Ullmark not have hockey equipment on himself, he spends time with his girlfriend Moa and their dog Greven. Because of the intense schedule it becomes much about recovery, but the trio has managed to achieve a lot during his time in Buffalo. There have been some park walks, shopping at the local mall, a cinema and grubs in restaurants in the city.
So far they have not found any accommodation in Buffalo without staying at hotels because of the uncertain future. Nor has there been time for Linus perhaps biggest hobby, fishing.

- There should be good fishing here ive heared, but I have not fished anything yet. There has not been any time for that, and I have not checked out where to go. It requires one to have a boat, he says and continues.
- Dad's been a fishermen and fished a lot during his days. But it was never anything to me. I always had to call him when tangled or messed somehow during my younger days. Since I was out with my friend Adam Sundqvist few years It It has become a bit of a therapy, it is quiet and peaceful. Just enjoy the moment kind of thing.

Nice to disconnect hockey?

- Yes exactly. When you have had a heavy exercise during the summer it is nice to sit in a boat on Veckefjarden and enjoy. Just live for the moment, it's amazing.

While Ullmark enjoying great success on the other side of the pond, his former club, Modo, have had huge problems in the SHL. Linus knows this.
He follows his disposition every game - even though he is often in the training hall during matches. Luckily he has girlfriend Moa.

- Yes, absolutely, I follow Modo. Every game. The sad thing is that we train as they play. I barely have time to watch the games, but my girlfriend always see the games. I always get updates from her.
- She has always been interested in hockey so it is not like she got that from me, I promise. If you are from Ornskoldsvik, you know hockey. That is just how it is.

He, if anyone, should know that. The former Modo talent that is seriously about to break into the world's top hockey league.
Edited by MODO Hockey

Ullmarl is definitely never starting for Buffalo ever again.

Might match well against Nieme

If only we had Miler back. Or Hazek.

Re Ullmark interview:

BY THE SHOVEL OF ULLMARK

I'm not sure if it's the translation, but I love the phrase "lure the defenseman into the stands".

Edited by MattPie

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, Ullmark was the Swede that we needed.  He played very well tonight against the Kings.  Granted he didn't see too much action in the first two periods, but when the Kings turned it up in the 3rd and OT, Linus covered up the Sabres' defensive gaffs.  He's still learning the North American game and the the NHL level, but I really see where he could be the future.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.