GDT:Sabres at Islanders 11/1/2015, 7:30 pm

nfreeman

Game on!

My first GDT of the season and my first in-person attendance since 2013-2014. And my first hockey game at Barclays Center.

As I mentioned in the goalie thread, I'd kinda like to see Ullmark but I suspect it'll be Ocho Cinco.

Also hoping to get Ennis back.

The Islanders are off to a pretty good start at 6-2-3. They lost on Saturday to NJ in the SO. Tavares missed the game with an undisclosed illness; status for Sunday unknown.

The Sabres have beaten Philly twice and Columbus and Toronto once each. The islanders are better than any of those teams, so getting a road win would represent a nice achievement for the boys.

The Sabres' forecheck and determination to get pucks to the net has been really good in the last couple of games and they've largely done a good job getting out of the defensive zone. Their biggest problem IMHO has been giving up goals on 2nd and 3rd opportunities after failing to tie up the opponents down low. Improve that and get good goaltending and they can earn another W.

Go Sabres.

Tyler Ennis has missed two-straight games with a lower-body injury and did not take the ice. The team will not hold a morning skate on Sunday so Ennis will take pregame warmups at Barclays Center and will be evaluated from there.

Alternate captain Ryan O'Reilly also did not practice. He played a season-high 26:03 and picked up a goal and two assists in the win over Philadelphia on Friday. Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said he actually had to talk O’Reilly into taking the day off. After Friday’s game, the 24-year-old center was tops among forwards in time in average ice time.

Jamie McGinn was also given a maintenance day and did not practice.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=785689&navid=DL|BUF|home

Whoa. Whoa.  WHOA!!   11:24pm OP?   Major breech of Game Day Thread protocol.  Last time this happened we lost.  Freeman, we all appreciate your enthusiasm, but you are on notice here.  Bad, bad juju.

*glares in nfreeman's direction*

Edited by We've

This happens from time to time once posters hit a certain age. Your heart is in the right place but there's an issue with clarity and precision.

Daylight savings time kicked in well after the OP, which went up after midnight.

I'm not worried though. With ROR leading by example you will raise your game.

I have a friend who's a longtime Islanders fan and so far she does not love Barclays. She said it feels like a road game; the same energy didn't transfer from the old barn because many regular fans aren't making the trip to Brooklyn. There are quite a few obstructed view seats too. But at least she's happy that they kept the old horn after toying with an MTA-sponsored horn during the preseason in what smelled like a publicity stunt. She's also happy about the food and no lines to the restroom.

As an aside, and Blue will like this, Kate Murray, the town supervisor who opposed Isles' owner Charles Wang's initial plan to build a new arena, is in a very tight battle in her race for district attorney. The fans, now that the Isles are good, may not forget. The original plan ("The Lighthouse" development) included an expansive development that the town didn't think fit with the character of bucolic, suburban Uniondale (sarcasm). Wang was going to pay for the whole thing himself. The next plan had a smaller footprint but taxpayer funding and was defeated by the voters in a referendum, when the Islanders still sucked.

The psychology of the Isles moving is interesting to consider. A lot of people are heartbroken and feel like they've lost their team. I don't see how it's much different than the Bills moving from Orchard Park to a new arena downtown. But you have this Long Island attitude that Brooklyn isn't Long Island. There's also virtually no way to drive to Barclays, necessitating a train ride, and more expensive tickets. They've isolated the team from its traditional fan base. Kind of sad. Meanwhile they're renovating the Coliseum and there's some possibility the Isles could play a few games there down the road.

This happens from time to time once posters hit a certain age. Your heart is in the right place but there's an issue with clarity and precision.

Daylight savings time kicked in well after the OP, which went up after midnight.

I'm not worried though. With ROR leading by example you will raise your game.

For your sake, we hope this all passes without consequence.

I have a friend who's a longtime Islanders fan and so far she does not love Barclays. She said it feels like a road game; the same energy didn't transfer from the old barn because many regular fans aren't making the trip to Brooklyn. There are quite a few obstructed view seats too. But at least she's happy that they kept the old horn after toying with an MTA-sponsored horn during the preseason in what smelled like a publicity stunt. She's also happy about the food and no lines to the restroom.

As an aside, and Blue will like this, Kate Murray, the town supervisor who opposed Isles' owner Charles Wang's initial plan to build a new arena, is in a very tight battle in her race for district attorney. The fans, now that the Isles are good, may not forget. The original plan ("The Lighthouse" development) included an expansive development that the town didn't think fit with the character of bucolic, suburban Uniondale (sarcasm). Wang was going to pay for the whole thing himself. The next plan had a smaller footprint but taxpayer funding and was defeated by the voters in a referendum, when the Islanders still sucked.

The psychology of the Isles moving is interesting to consider. A lot of people are heartbroken and feel like they've lost their team. I don't see how it's much different than the Bills moving from Orchard Park to a new arena downtown. But you have this Long Island attitude that Brooklyn isn't Long Island. There's also virtually no way to drive to Barclays, necessitating a train ride, and more expensive tickets. They've isolated the team from its traditional fan base. Kind of sad. Meanwhile they're renovating the Coliseum and there's some possibility the Isles could play a few games there down the road.

The sight lines for hockey are less than appealing, it is not meant to house a hockey crowd.  It was built for the Nets, tbh and nothing else.  It is really a disappointing situation.  My girlfriend lives in Nassau County on LI, and I loved the Colosseum.  

Is playing ROR 26 minutes a game reckless?

As long as it's a relatively isolated incident, I don't think so. Bylsma shouldn't make a habit of it though.

Turning down a fully privately funded arena project is moronic, even if the project itself is less than ideal. Those people deserve to be disconnected from the team.

As long as it's a relatively isolated incident, I don't think so. Bylsma shouldn't make a habit of it though.

Turning down a fully privately funded arena project is moronic, even if the project itself is less than ideal. Those people deserve to be disconnected from the team.

That game was well in hand for better than  2 periods.  Playing him deep into the third was unwarranted, IMO...  I say it was remarkably reckless.

That game was well in hand for better than 2 periods. Playing him deep into the third was unwarranted, IMO... I say it was remarkably reckless.

I think this kind of thinking is how teams cough up two goal leads seemingly all the time. A 2 goal lead with our defense and goaltending against a team with the firepower of the Flyers is far from safe.

I don't think the game was well in hand at all and he's 24. You can beat a 24 year old like a rented mule and they will be fine. Next day off and all should be well

It only takes one hit to put that rented mule on the IR list.. See Kane..  Putting him out there that long when the game was in hand (I disagree with you on this point) exposes him to more hits.  Hits are cumulative over the course of an NHL season.

I think this kind of thinking is how teams cough up two goal leads seemingly all the time. A 2 goal lead with our defense and goaltending against a team with the firepower of the Flyers is far from safe.

How many times do you think Crosby has played 26 minutes in a game?  Or Malkin?  Or Hossa?  All elite players DB had at one time.

Edited by wjag

It only takes one hit to put that rented mule on the IR list.. See Kane.. Putting him out there that long when the game was in hand (I disagree with you on this point) exposes him to more hits. Hits are cumulative over the course of an NHL season.

How many times do you think Crosby has played 26 minutes in a game? Or Malkin? Or Hossa? All elite players DB had at one time.

Well, is the danger one hit like Kane or the cumulative effect over the season? You can't be afraid of your own shadow. And I'm really not sure what Byslma's usage of other players has to do with it.

The referendum was on a plan that included public funding. Only the original Wang proposal would have been free of taxpayer funding, but that plan was deemed to be too "out of character" for the area (and some cynics say the politicos didn't want private funding -- no opportunity for cronyism, kickbacks, graft and all that good stuff). When the plan was downsized, Wang no longer felt he could make it work economically, hence the need for taxpayer dollars.

The referendum was on a plan that included public funding. Only the original Wang proposal would have been free of taxpayer funding, but that plan was deemed to be too "out of character" for the area (and some cynics say the politicos didn't want private funding -- no opportunity for cronyism, kickbacks, graft and all that good stuff). When the plan was downsized, Wang no longer felt he could make it work economically, hence the need for taxpayer dollars.

So how was the full project scuttled? Did the city refuse to re-zone or grant the permits for it? You'd think public pressure could overcome that, if the public really wanted it. Ultimately I'm pretty unfamiliar with what happened other than the project died, so I'd be happy to be referred to as article or two.

I'll also be in attendance tonight for my second game of the year. I was at the 2nd game of the season (first lightning loss) and I'm hoping to see a little more spark for the game. I'm worried about my seats because my idiot friend bought limited viewing seats in section 104...well see how that goes. I'll also probably miss the beginning of the game as I have a beer league gameat the chelsea piers at 530. It'll be a race on my bicycle to get down to Barclay for the game.

Anyone know if Ullmark is starting?

So how was the full project scuttled? Did the city refuse to re-zone or grant the permits for it? You'd think public pressure could overcome that, if the public really wanted it. Ultimately I'm pretty unfamiliar with what happened other than the project died, so I'd be happy to be referred to as article or two.

The town of Hempstead, where Kate Murray was a supervisor, would not give the required zoning permits. It sounds like there was a fair amount of pressure put on the board by fans and labor unions. Here's a good overview of the situation before the town voted on the zoning issue: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/sports/hockey/22islanders.html

And here we see that Islander fans turned out for a meeting in good numbers: http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/mark-herrmann/islanders-fans-score-big-at-town-board-meeting-1.1349010

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.