Who starts in net tomorrow night?

nfreeman

Is the young Swede sweet enough?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Bylsma start in net vs. the Islanders? (i.e. your prediction, not your preference)

• Johnson
    • Ullmark
  2. 2. If it were your decision, who would you choose to start vs. the Islanders?

• Johnson
    • Ullmark

When it was 3-0 last night, I thought to myself that if Ullmark got the shutout, he would get the start in the next game, and if he gave up 2 goals, Johnson would get the start -- but what if he gave up 1 goal?  Sure enough, that's where we are.

I have defended Johnson this year.  I think that he's given the Sabres a chance to win every game he's played in other than the Habs blowout.  He bobbles the puck too much and doesn't vacuum it up like some goalies do, and thus gives up a few more rebounds than others, but overall his positioning and calmness has been quite good IMHO.  Even against Pittsburgh the other night, many here thought Johnson played poorly, but I did not -- I thought the goals he gave up were primarily the fault of the defensemen or backchecking forwards not tying up their men in front, allowing for easy putbacks.

However, I thought Ullmark looked decent in his first start and pretty good last night -- and likely has a higher ceiling than Johnson.  It would be pretty cool if he went on a hot streak, seized the job and the Sabres ripped off a 7-wins-in-8-games stretch.  And it's not like Johnson is the established starter.

I think Bylsma will probably go back to Johnson tomorrow night, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ullmark.

And I'll be at the game!

Go Sabres.  Holy mackerel I like this team.

I think it would be wrong to go with anyone but Ullmark, at this point each goalie gives you approximately the same chances of winning.... Why not see what the young gun in our pipeline has

Ha 3 votes so far and none of us think Bylsma will do what we believe to be the right thing.

I have faith

Ullmark did one thing that really bothered me. He fell down a few times on shots he was reaching for. Goalies can't fall down and be out of position like that. I can't say I was impressed with him last night as I don't think he was really challenged. Jury is still out on how good he is right now. 

Johnson is good, but has several bad qualities, rebounds and is simply terrible at playing the puck in any way. 

I don't know who I'd start. Really want to beat the Islanders so I'd go with who I thought looked better in practice. 

Johnson got dumped by the Islanders for virtually nothing.

Probably deserves a chance to stick it to them.

Otherwise I'd go with Ullmark.

@Freeman Johnson battles and seems like a great guy.

It's not necessarily the goals he allows, it's just that he just doesn't make enough saves.

An NHL starter has to make saves.

Johnson got dumped by the Islanders for virtually nothing.

Probably deserves a chance to stick it to them.

Otherwise I'd go with Ullmark.

I have no doubt that Ullmark should get the start. Well, until I read dudes post. I think that's a good coach that gives that game to Johnson based on the reasons you state.

I have no doubt that Ullmark should get the start. Well, until I read dudes post. I think that's a good coach that gives that game to Johnson based on the reasons you state.

Well Weber got to play in Pittsburgh, so DD has already shown a sensitivity to that kind of stuff.

Bylsma is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. Ullmark will start. It's no accident the team brought him up as fast as they did. He's coming off surgery. Good reason to keep him in Rochester. I think Murray and Bylsma want to see if he can take the job from Johnson who is mediocre at best. 29 years old and only 65 career NHL games. Tells me teams dont have confidence in Johnson.

I'd go with Johnson, the rookie had a good night, best to keep him on a schedule. Let the success of last night set in for a bit, the Islanders can score some goals in bunches. I would hate to see any confidence the kid earned last night be crushed by an Islanders 4-5 spot. Build the kid up and don't rush him into a work load he may not be ready for.  

Bylsma is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. Ullmark will start. It's no accident the team brought him up as fast as they did. He's coming off surgery. Good reason to keep him in Rochester. I think Murray and Bylsma want to see if he can take the job from Johnson who is mediocre at best. 29 years old and only 65 career NHL games. Tells me teams dont have confidence in Johnson.

Well, i do think Bylsma is smarter than me.

But I guess that's not very much credit, now is it?

Bylsma will go with Johnson.   Don't want to burn the kid.   We should ease him into the NHL.

Also Below.   I wouls start Ullmark though :p

I'm surprised how upbeat everyone is on Ullmark. He played well for two periods then suddenly started putting himself out of position badly in the third. 

Edited by Huckleberry

I expect Bylsma to go with Johnson as the starter until Ullmark takes the job away. I don't think being a coin flip is enough for him to go with the rook regularly. I voted that I'd start Johnson too, but really only because I'm inclined to be conservative with Ullmark's playing time after double hip surgery. What can I say, the Bills have made me a little paranoid about rushing players back from injury :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.