Evander Kane out 4-6 weeks

Hoss

Is staying healthy a talent?

It can be. But it can be a liability too if the player plays a game that puts too high a premium on staying healthy rather than doing what HE needs to do to help the team win games.

Not many Ungers, Jarvises, or Ramsays out there that are effective for a decade and lined up every shift.

I wonder if it will be a case of "be careful what you ask for."  He wanted a trade.  The dynamic in Buffalo will probably be, well, dynamic, for some time.  I hope he got the situation he was looking for and doesn't sour on this city too.  Realistically though he stands to lose more than the Sabres if he doesn't fit in well here; he'll have the label of a guy that doesn't fit in.

Is staying healthy a talent?

I think there almost has to be some genetic component to it, right? Plenty of players play an aggressive, physical game, without regularly getting hurt. To what degree genetics matters, I have no idea. 

So what do you want?  Milquetoast Ellises who stay healthy for 82 games, or Kanes and Bogos that will make a difference for 70 games?

I didn't say that, nor do I want it. I was simply saying them getting injured was pretty predictable, so it can be fairly laid at Murray's feet. But I do tend to put less value on physical play than many others do. I need players to go to the dirty areas and not play scared of being hit, but whether they win a battle by knocking somebody over or with some slick stick work, and the degree to which they throw body checks, I find to be of minimal importance.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Meh, I didn't catch the preseason, any other guys like Bailey or Baptiste (not sure if in AHL) that may fit better?

Baptiste had a good game yesterday. He gets thrown around a little too easily though. I don't think he's ready for he NHL. I keep waiting for Bailey to do something. Akeson deserves as much of a chance as anyone else. Why not give Nevins a shot? I'd rather see someone that's producing get the chance.

I'm suprised no one on this board pointed out and giggled at this line from the article yet: 

As far as his current injury is concerned, Kane went down in a 4-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils last Saturday after a check along the boards by Devils defenseman David Schlemko. Kane was down on the ice briefly and needed assistance to the locker room.

“I thought I just rubbed him out,” Schlemko said after the game. “I talked to the ref after and he said it looked like our legs just kind of locked. Looked like he grabbed his knee. Hopefully he’s all right.”

We can't have the mental maturity increasing around here, dire times are nigh. 

I'm suprised no one on this board pointed out and giggled at this line from the article yet: 

As far as his current injury is concerned, Kane went down in a 4-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils last Saturday after a check along the boards by Devils defenseman David Schlemko. Kane was down on the ice briefly and needed assistance to the locker room.

“I thought I just rubbed him out,” Schlemko said after the game. “I talked to the ref after and he said it looked like our legs just kind of locked. Looked like he grabbed his knee. Hopefully he’s all right.”

We can't have the mental maturity increasing around here, dire times are nigh. 

:w00t:   

Crude humor should never go to waste!

I think Schlemko targeted the knee. The way Kane thrashes about the ice u can almost expect some injuries.

Schlemko took him in with what I'd call a halfhearted slewfoot. He tried to bring his leg in behind Kanes perhaps to get leverage but to me it looked slewfootish. The name Schlemko and the non-word slewfootish kind of have a nice ring to them.

In the making lemonade department, this could actually help with Bylsma's tinkering. Kane is a known variable, as in we can pretty much predict how he'll respond and what he will do in certain situations.

Removing a Lego from Bylsma's box forces him to explore the unknown variables he has: Eichel, Reinhart, Ennis (who is still unpredictable to a significant enough degree), Foligno (who refuses to be pigeonholed), and, to a degree Larson and I could argue McGinn.

He also will be forced to think of the lines, matchups, and situations differently.

Since Kane is a known variable, when he comes back perhaps Bylsma will have a better idea on how to use him.

In the making lemonade department, this could actually help with Bylsma's tinkering. Kane is a known variable, as in we can pretty much predict how he'll respond and what he will do in certain situations.

Removing a Lego from Bylsma's box forces him to explore the unknown variables he has: Eichel, Reinhart, Ennis (who is still unpredictable to a significant enough degree), Foligno (who refuses to be pigeonholed), and, to a degree Larson and I could argue McGinn.

He also will be forced to think of the lines, matchups, and situations differently.

Since Kane is a known variable, when he comes back perhaps Bylsma will have a better idea on how to use him.

Now THAT is some glass half full thinking.

Hopefully they are not 6-17-2 when he comes back.

This is a great opportunity for Deslauriers. If he scores a few it could really help his development. He showed some scoring last year; let's see what top minutes bring.

Des is what he is. Let's not get any notions that he'll ever be a 2nd liner, or even a mainstay on the 3rd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.