GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

You must have beer goggles on.  Weber does what he does, I don't love him as a player, but he sticks to what he knows.  Franson hasn't looked to sharp and honestly, I think that has to do with offseason conditioning.  Not going until the last week of August without a contract can hamper you mentally.  Colaiacovo has been terrible for as long as I can remember.

Franson is just a strange looking player. Awkward skater and looks funny. good on power play but kind of a liability on defense

I haven't been able to sign into game centre either. I have Rogers and centre ice pack so it's suppose to be free. I was on the phone with Rogers tech people for an hour and a half on Friday and at the end they discovered there was a problem with the app on their end and said it should be fixed in 24 to 48 hours. Still isn't fixed for me....

If I get a gamecenter package will I be able to watch both home and away games? I am in Rochester btw

You must have beer goggles on. Weber does what he does, I don't love him as a player, but he sticks to what he knows. Franson hasn't looked to sharp and honestly, I think that has to do with offseason conditioning. Not going until the last week of August without a contract can hamper you mentally. Colaiacovo has been terrible for as long as I can remember.

And I think that's a huge cop-out because...what does he know? Even the things he's supposed to "know" he's actually bad at. At the minimum he should be able to win his fair share of puck battles, but even that he regularly fails to do because he's neither physically powerful enough nor skilled enough. It's like he has to play a physical lock down game because of his lack of skill, but he doesn't have the body to pull that off either.

And I think that's a huge cop-out because...what does he know? Even the things he's supposed to "know" he's actually bad at. At the minimum he should be able to win his fair share of puck battles, but even that he regularly fails to do because he's neither physically powerful enough nor skilled enough. It's like he has to play a physical lock down game because of his lack of skill, but he doesn't have the body to pull that off either.

That's completely fine, I don't really get into arguments about bottom pair defensemen they are really hodgepodge to be honest.  So you're right, it was a bit of a cop out.  He shouldn't be above a 7th defensemen on a quality d-core.  Colaiacovo is terrible.

If I get a gamecenter package will I be able to watch both home and away games? I am in Rochester btw

I'm guessing Rochester is in the Sabres "area", so you won't get any Sabres games live on gamecenter since they're available in your area on TV. It only really works if you live out of town, and even then I don't get any national games (NBC, NHL Network, etc.) or games against my local team (Flyers).

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but we've recalled McCabe. I'm guessing Weber sits.

I'll bet he doesn't. Everyone hates him, except every coach he has played for. At least Lindy knew how to use him. Put him with a skater. Weber - Sekera was a good pairing. The only guy on this team that fits the bill is pysyk and I'm not sure I want to saddle him with Weber. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices.

I'll bet he doesn't. Everyone hates him, except every coach he has played for. At least Lindy knew how to use him. Put him with a skater. Weber - Sekera was a good pairing. The only guy on this team that fits the bill is pysyk and I'm not sure I want to saddle him with Weber. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices.

Every coach has loved Matt Ellis too :nana:

The Columbus Day Afternoon Game is a Ted Black Creation. Wanted to make it a Kids Day Game on a yearly basis.

I'm wondering if all these afternoon games contributed to his demise. I can't F'n stand them an neither can the majority of fans.

You're challenging me? LOL.

Lindy also knew that Weber couldn't play every game and be effective. He frequently sat. I got no beef with Weber. I have defended him and supported him in the past as he is all about the team. I always have spot for him but it's likely always as a seventh. He sits and stews and comes back with a nasty streak settles down, becomes in effective and the cycle repeats.  

The Columbus Blue Jackets role into town on a Monday afternoon to take on our Buffalo Sabres. The Blue Jackets are coming off consecutive losses to the NYR, and, like the Sabres, they are win-less so far this season. With Lehner out long term, we better get used to Chad Johnson in net, and pray that Bogosian comes back sometime soon.

As a rant, day games can ###### off. There are 3 NHL day games tomorrow, who the hell is able to watch those? I'll be listening to the game somewhere on campus hopefully

jack-johnson-sergei-bobrovsky-nhl-columb

I love game days , they start at 19.00 - 21.00 pm for me :D

The Columbus Day Afternoon Game is a Ted Black Creation. Wanted to make it a Kids Day Game on a yearly basis.

This makes no sense.   Kids are in school and parents are working, it's not a national holiday.   What a dumb idea, glad that knucklehead is gone.

I knew that bastard wouldn't leave without screwing us for the long term

This makes no sense.   Kids are in school and parents are working, it's not a national holiday.   What a dumb idea, glad that knucklehead is gone.

Kids are not in school and teachers are not working

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but we've recalled McCabe. I'm guessing Weber sits.

I hope so, Weber is brutal, he's not an NHL defenseman.    His skating is below average and his decision making is poor.   Does he work hard and sacrifice his body to block shots? sure he does, but there's hundereds of those types of player in the AHL who just don't have the required skill set to be a regular NHL defenseman.    That pairing with Franson was tough to watch, they really miss Bogosian and his speed.

Another guy who looks bad is Gorges.   Slow and he loses just about every single puck battle in the corners.    He was directly responsible for the Stamkos goal last game.    The modern NHL puts a high premium on defensemen who can skate.    Look at guys like Kieth, Seabrook, Doughty, Suter, Subban, etc...   

I knew that bastard wouldn't leave without screwing us for the long term

Kids are not in school and teachers are not working

Both my kids have school today.

I'm guessing Rochester is in the Sabres "area", so you won't get any Sabres games live on gamecenter since they're available in your area on TV. It only really works if you live out of town, and even then I don't get any national games (NBC, NHL Network, etc.) or games against my local team (Flyers).

It is.  Use a VPN service.  All I will say about that.

They ran a kid's game ticket special.  Buy 1 300 level seat, get up to 4 kid's tickets for $15.  I almost did it.. but we have hockey practice tonight so it was a no go.

I'm wondering if all these afternoon games contributed to his demise. I can't F'n stand them an neither can the majority of fans.

You're challenging me? LOL.

Lindy also knew that Weber couldn't play every game and be effective. He frequently sat. I got no beef with Weber. I have defended him and supported him in the past as he is all about the team. I always have spot for him but it's likely always as a seventh. He sits and stews and comes back with a nasty streak settles down, becomes in effective and the cycle repeats.  

You have no evidence as to the preference of the majority of the fans. 

You know.. you call the guy a knucklehead and perhaps that would be fine if you fact checked yourself.  The reality is that kids have off from school. Many parents take off because the kids have off and they don't want to pay for a full daycare session. In addition there are a lot of other businesses that are closed today and since you are only focusing yourself on the US market you are neglecting the fact that the Sabres draw heavily from Canada and that it is Canadian Thanksgiving today so they are setting themselves up for that market as well.

But yes.. clearly a knucklehead.  

Game on.  At least I can watch the first period and a half before having to go coach.

Edited by LTS

Add the Alfredsson goal as another time the Sabres got bounced from the playoffs in overtime in the afternoon. Confirmed.

That leaves — Game 4 against the Habs in 93 at the Aud; Juneau; Hull. Of those, I am questionable on only Juneau, but I'm pretty sure that was a night game.

California. That explains it.

The company I work for is based in Boston, and it's not a company holiday.... so it's just a Western New York holiday?   

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/08/working-on-columbus-day-it-depends-on-where-you-live/

Edited by pi2000

Yeah they're in school (4th and 6th grade).   I'm in California.    Maybe it's just a regional thing?    

I think with my area it's not a holiday, but the teacher's use it as a teacher's conference day, so that's why the kids get it off. They just happen to schedule the teacher's conference on Columbus Day every year

The company I work for is based in Boston, and it's not a company holiday.... so it's just a Western New York holiday?   

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/08/working-on-columbus-day-it-depends-on-where-you-live/

Its a federal holiday, banks, post office other federal agencies closed.  And yes that includes schools.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.