[Please change title]Larsson

apushms

While I understand the issue of what to do and where to play Johan Larsson is a hot topic with the season days away, I can't see the Sabres trading away a quality young player whose best days seem to be ahead of him. He seemed to really grow as an NHL 'er last season and proved he can really contribute when given the chance. He seems like a bull on his skates and has real defensive abilities.

I not sure where he fits right now. He is not a fourth line center and I love the makeup of Legwand, DeLauriers and Foligno. He would be a solid third line center, but who does he bump, especially if Reinhart stays up with Buffalo. All that I know is, Legwand and. Gianta are in the twilight of their respective careers and I don't want to move a young talent like Larsson to keep one of them in the lineup. That seems shortsighted and when injury hits, we'll be glad Johan is available, even if it means sitting him in the press box to start the NHL campaign.

Edited by apushms

His style of play to me says 4th line center, and good on the PK. I don't see him as a third line guy. It would be a waste to see him in the box. Maybe 1st line AHL player suits him better. He will get valuable minutes in the A.

Not positive but I think he has to clear waivers if sent down.  Almost no chance he clears so he won't be sent down.  I think his style of play translates to the third line myself.

Not positive but I think he has to clear waivers if sent down.  Almost no chance he clears so he won't be sent down.  I think his style of play translates to the third line myself.

He does have to clear waivers. I'm not so sure he doesn't clear. Many guys have been waived and with a number of teams so close to the cap they haven't been picked up.

Even if he winds up as the "13th forward" I have to think he'll see a good deal of ice time through injuries to others, maintenance days for Eichel / Reinhart, other unforeseen circumstances. In a way his versatility works against him on paper, but he's likely to find himself dressed a significant portion of the time because of it as well. Nice asset to have.

He does have to clear waivers. I'm not so sure he doesn't clear. Many guys have been waived and with a number of teams so close to the cap they haven't been picked up.

Possibly.  Maybe I'm rating his potential a little too high in my mind but I would not want to risk him being sent down. 

Let's get back to Larsson

Last year he played 39 games in Buffalo.  He had a 0.154gpga and a 0.256apga which translates to 13g and 21a roughly in 82 games at that production rate.  I think that puts him on the edge of the 3rd line player.

Add in his defensive capabilities and I think he will eventually be a great 3rd line player who gives us depth down the middle.  Didn't he have the best Corsi on the team last year (not that it was still anything to write home about).

Add in his defensive capabilities and I think he will eventually be a great 3rd line player who gives us depth down the middle.  Didn't he have the best Corsi on the team last year (not that it was still anything to write home about).

hard to tell because he played so much better in his second trip to Buffalo, TBPhD might know

Today's lines in practice had Foligno-Girgensons-Reinhart as the 3rd line, with a 4th line of Deslauriers-Legwand-McGinn/Larsson.

Good, I have no desire to see Reinhart go to Rochester where most of our top prospects (including Girgensons and Ristolainen) have suffered concussions.

I don't think he's good enough for 3rd line and doesn't play gritty enough for 4th. It would be nice if GMTM could put him in a package to get a left D.

He's definitely good enough to play 3rd line and I think good enough to fill in for the top 6. He's a very useful role player and an important part of our forward depth.

A GM allegedly told Paul Hamilton last year that 29 other teams would line up to trade for Larsson... I don't think he'd clear if that story/statement is near the truth.

Good, I have no desire to see Reinhart go to Rochester where most of our top prospects (including Girgensons and Ristolainen) have suffered concussions.

This is strange reasoning.  Concussions occur just as frequently at the NHL level.

hard to tell because he played so much better in his second trip to Buffalo, TBPhD might know

I'm too lazy to look up right now, but probably. What I do know is that Moulson and Ennis were better in every respect when centered by Larsson than by Girgensons. Corsi, goals for and goals against all better with Larsson in the middle. Small sample and whatnot, but what he did centering that top line was highly impressive.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.