GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm EST (WGR 550)

WildCard

After last nights game, I would like to see them start making cuts.  We have another 5 preseason games but it is clear some kids need to go back.  Let's start getting the guys who will play time to find their grove.

From Bylsma's comments last night that seems to be the plan. He divided the pre-season into three chunks: games 1 and 2, games 3 and 4, and games 5-7. 

Agree, but I know what mustacheofgod means.  They looked disorganized.  I expect that to settle out as Bylsma's system is fully implemented and the minor leaguers are sent down.  The problem last year was that they had to keep the minor leaguers up with the big club because of a lack of talented NHLers.

I think the whole game was disorganized due to each team dressing about half non-NHL guys (or guys who won't be around on opening night).  To add to that, we have a new coach, a new system, and many of our veterans are new as well.  I saw 4 lines that didn't know where their teammates would be.

We still managed 40 shorts and probably outchanced Ottawa.  When did we ever hit 40 shots last year?  ...not often. :)

Yep!  He's a regular Brad Boyes!

Agree, but I know what mustacheofgod means.  They looked disorganized.  I expect that to settle out as Bylsma's system is fully implemented and the minor leaguers are sent down.  The problem last year was that they had to keep the minor leaguers up with the big club because of a lack of talented NHLers.

Agree but the coaching is also improved. We had over 40 shots as opposed to giving up 40.

WTF, it was really difficult orienting myself to this team during the first. So many newbies. Samson has grown up, but, I don't get his line. He needs finishers, and he really wasn't teamed with finishers.

Nice to see a player who can make a puck hit the inside of the net from beyond the circles, but 90 and 9 did disappoint during the 3 on 3.

I will defer to those at the game who thought Lehner played okay, but, that second period was brutal for him. Perhaps it's not fair to evaluate him based on the awful D for this game, but, I'd like to not use that excuse for the "new" Sabres. Can we not use the D as an excuse for the goalies going forward?

I want to know how is it we don't have Matt O'Conner on our team. He was great.

One man's excuse is another man's explanation. I see no real reason to arbitrarily decide it's never going to be the defense's fault. Just evaluate each goal on its own.

Anyone complaining about Kane give your head a shake. Yes he's rusty. He should be no? Lehner too.

So Kane didn't see the puck beside him a couple times. He was fed a breakaway pass and lost the puck looking on the wrong side of him also that I recall.

But he also had a couple board crashing hits on guys, back checked hard and well and scored a couple goals and has a big time shot. Dude is going to score a lot of goals for us. Ecstatic to have him as a Sabre.

Anyone complaining about Kane give your head a shake. Yes he's rusty. He should be no? Lehner too.

So Kane didn't see the puck beside him a couple times. He was fed a breakaway pass and lost the puck looking on the wrong side of him also that I recall.

But he also had a couple board crashing hits on guys, back checked hard and well and scored a couple goals and has a big time shot. Dude is going to score a lot of goals for us. Ecstatic to have him as a Sabre.

I don't think anyone is complaining about Kane, Evander Kane.

My observations of both games, as I think you need to look at them together.  The d corps was much better night one and it showed in the second and third with respect to transitioning and the PK.  Last night, there was little to no transition and if there was it started with the forward group.  Risto has not stepped on the ice yet and i expect that after cuts that group as a whole will gain cohesion.

There was rust from those we expected or should have expected rust.  Practice, scrimmages etc., are no substitute for game action albeit preseason.  Ignoring the rust, I think Bylsma will re-evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the line combo's.  I echo the comments that Samson needs a finisher.  I disagree that he was timid.  I thought he was solid in both zones but is not going to try and make an individual flashy play if it puts himself out of position.  I would rather see Larson on his wing than either Gionta or McGinn rust notwithstanding.  Or maybe Foligno over McGinn.

Kane will be a bull in a china shop.  He plays the way we wished Stewart would play.  Chemistry will take a bit but I am not worried about shooting too much.  Rebounds make great passes.

It takes goalies longer to acclimate to the speed of the NHL game, IMHO, than other returning vets.  I will give Lehner the benefit of the doubt, but my opinion of him wasn't helped.  He just seemed to be fighting to many things.  Angles, rebounds, screens.  there was no smoothness and that could be rust.

I am not expecting a playoff team.  I hope that GMTM and DD take their time and evaluate the talent and the options for using it wisely.  If that produces a late season run and playoff spot, gravy.  If not I would rather see them develop the future even at the price of the present.  In either event, I think they will be much more aggressive and enjoyable to watch this season.  

Looking forward to Friday already. 

Kane had two plays during the game where the puck was right next to him and he had no idea. It's that kind of in-game awareness that suffers when your're out for a long time. Hopefully it comes back as the pre-season winds on. But I was a little annoyed by his lack of sharpness. 

Adding to potential negatives, could see alleged "me-monster" in o-zone.  As long as it goes in!  But don't pat O'Reilly on top of the head after the goal, he's not a kid, in fact he's been ear-marked as your future captain.  Over-analysis complete.

I don't think anyone is complaining about Kane, Evander Kane.

You sure?

I would label those as more observations of the game as opposed to complaining.

Thank you. I thought I made it pretty clear that I was giving him a pass since he was out with injury. Then I provided an expression of optimism. Only then did I follow my observation and two positive remarks with a dose of criticism, which I placed squarely on myself. 

But apparently I'm complaining. 

Thank you. I thought I made it pretty clear that I was giving him a pass since he was out with injury. Then I provided an expression of optimism. Only then did I follow my observation and two positive remarks with a dose of criticism, which I placed squarely on myself. 

But apparently I'm complaining. 

And now you are whining about this.  give it a rest, man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.