GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm EST (WGR 550)

WildCard

On the positive he was back-checking hard, and he's faster than I expected.  Adding to potential negatives, could see alleged "me-monster" in o-zone.  As long as it goes in!  But don't pat O'Reilly on top of the head after the goal, he's not a kid, in fact he's been ear-marked as your future captain.  Over-analysis complete.

That's not an over-analysis. That's exactly the type of behavior that made his teammates hate him in Winnipeg. 

I never doubted he can be a perennial 30-40 goal scorer for us, but I always questioned his character. He reminds me of a buddy I have who went to the army and came back a dominance freak. Had to pat everybody's head and subtly let them know he was the alpha. Only way to stop it is to call them out on it. 

I would label those as more observations of the game as opposed to complaining.

Fair enough. I'm still in off season mode maybe. Or just pissed off that we had two vets return to action for the first time including a new player and both got roughed up with no response.

That's not an over-analysis. That's exactly the type of behavior that made his teammates hate him in Winnipeg.

I never doubted he can be a perennial 30-40 goal scorer for us, but I always questioned his character. He reminds me of a buddy I have who went to the army and came back a dominance freak. Had to pat everybody's head and subtly let them know he was the alpha. Only way to stop it is to call them out on it.

He scores 30-40 he can tap the top of as many heads as he wants. I highly doubt the guy scores a goal and then thinks about how he is going to greet his teammates. Probably just a habit that has absolutely no meaning behind it.

Can we give the guy at least until mid-October before we figure out ways to hammer the guy.

As for Reinhart - is Justin Bailey more NHL ready than Reinhart? Reinhart will be fine - just depends what "fine" is. Hopefully the "fine" will be the best forward in his draft. That is what he was picked to be. Not sure if that is going to be the case.

He scores 30-40 he can tap the top of as many heads as he wants. I highly doubt the guy scores a goal and then thinks about how he is going to greet his teammates. Probably just a habit that has absolutely no meaning behind it.

Can we give the guy at least until mid-October before we figure out ways to hammer the guy.

As for Reinhart - is Justin Bailey more NHL ready than Reinhart? Reinhart will be fine - just depends what "fine" is. Hopefully the "fine" will be the best forward in his draft. That is what he was picked to be. Not sure if that is going to be the case.

I think you're right that it's just a habit. But I believe you're wrong that it has "absolutely no meaning behind it". We shall see. I believe that unless he changes his personality, he'll have burned his bridges by the end of next year. I'm just very familiar with his type of abrasive personality. What happened in Winnipeg makes total sense to me.

I think you're right that it's just a habit. But I believe you're wrong that it has "absolutely no meaning behind it". We shall see. I believe that unless he changes his personality, he'll have burned his bridges by the end of next year. I'm just very familiar with his type of abrasive personality. What happened in Winnipeg makes total sense to me.

You have first hand experience and know him better than any of us. Hopefully he has grown up. Time will tell.

Anyone complaining about Kane give your head a shake. Yes he's rusty. He should be no? Lehner too.

So Kane didn't see the puck beside him a couple times. He was fed a breakaway pass and lost the puck looking on the wrong side of him also that I recall.

But he also had a couple board crashing hits on guys, back checked hard and well and scored a couple goals and has a big time shot. Dude is going to score a lot of goals for us. Ecstatic to have him as a Sabre.

Thank you. I thought I made it pretty clear that I was giving him a pass since he was out with injury. Then I provided an expression of optimism. Only then did I follow my observation and two positive remarks with a dose of criticism, which I placed squarely on myself. 

But apparently I'm complaining. 

The thing is, he doesn't need a pass. He scored 2 goals in his first game back. It was a very good performance. I don't see the function of the critiquing in this case.

No, it's not.This is high-school level psychology at work with no real basis in fact with regards to Evander Kane.

Oh FFS it's sports. If he gives Ryan a little swat on the bum should we extrapolate that out too?

Agree with this sentiment.

You have first hand experience and know him better than any of us. Hopefully he has grown up. Time will tell.

Just as naive as it is to think that you know somebody from watching him in games and videos, it's equally naive to assume you know nothing about a person from watching him in interviews, demeanor on the ice, social media, and past history.

I know it's an unpopular mainstream opinion to have in the USA in 2015, but I believe you CAN know things about a famous athlete by carefully observing him. My mistake is posting my concerns on a Sabres board where only positive observations and speculation are allowed and appreciated. 

Just as naive as it is to think that you know somebody from watching him in games and videos, it's equally naive to assume you know nothing about a person from watching him in interviews, demeanor on the ice, social media, and past history.

I know it's an unpopular mainstream opinion to have in the USA in 2015, but I believe you CAN know things about a famous athlete by carefully observing him. My mistake is posting my concerns on a Sabres board where only positive observations and speculation are allowed and appreciated. 

Go sing 'kumbaya' and come back in a few hours. And make sure not to use the word 'if'. :angel:

Preach brother!  Remember just Monday it was "U see Eichel celly? He's so pro, like be been there before".  It's in part how we connect.

Aside from my personal hang-up with head-taps, which yeah happen all the time, my main observation was him looking off passes and choosing to skate-in or shoot.  Probably no-big-deal, and obviously way too small a sample, just what I noticed.  2 goals and a very good game.  Reminded me of Ovechkin a little bit.

13-14, shots per game, top 5

Ovi 4.95 (386/78)

J. Neal 4.03 (283/59)

Nash 3.97 (258/65)

E Kane 3.97 (250/63)

Skinner 3.90 (274/71)

Looking forward to for-real on 10/8.

Go sing 'kumbaya' and come back in a few hours. And make sure not to use the word 'if'. :angel:

Let's imagine a spectrum

Kumbaya ------------------Respectful Teammate ---------------------Alpha Posturing/Difficult Personality-------------------------Cancer in the Locker Room

I'm not basing my opinion on Kane from one headtap. From everything I've seen and heard, I look with suspicion at every little thing Kane does. 

Nobody wants to talk about it so I'll stop. But we're going to be talking about this eventually, and it won't be me who starts the thread.

Let's imagine a spectrum

Kumbaya ------------------Respectful Teammate ---------------------Alpha Posturing/Difficult Personality-------------------------Cancer in the Locker Room

I'm not basing my opinion on Kane from one headtap. From everything I've seen and heard, I look with suspicion at every little thing Kane does. 

Nobody wants to talk about it so I'll stop. But we're going to be talking about this eventually, and it won't be me who starts the thread.

I don't think you're being shouted down.

There is certainly a non-negligible risk that Kane turns out to be a problem.

I just think most here don't agree with your read on the head-taps, and most want to give Kane the benefit of the doubt and a fresh start. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.