Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Honestly, he's still a punk.  He comes home to Buffalo and these things happen.  He seems like he's great during the season in Chicago.  I just really have no sympathy for him.  He obviously hasn't changed his mindset on people he's with and what he's doing at 25-26.  Get your in order.  

Nice.

See, it's comments like that that sets of a rash of bickering and attacks in which I'll eventually get blamed for.

Sorry, and I did consider that before posting but you made it clear in one of your last posts that you thought all along this was a money grab by the alleged victim. You were the first thing I thought of when I saw Kane's statement.

Sorry, and I did consider that before posting but you made it clear in one of your last posts that you thought all along this was a money grab by the alleged victim. You were the first thing I thought of when I saw Kane's statement.

Yes, I thought it was a possibility all along. As it should have been with everybody else. Kane being guilty was also a possibility considering his past. As time goes on I am seriously leaning towards the possibility that she's in it for the money, the conclusion shouldn't be drawn that I think that way about every situation based on one instance.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

How long do we have to live with little eleven?

There. You shouldn't have to go through this alone. I know others will join me.

So little Eleven and little PA are now intimately connected? I'm glad you two finally decided to relieve the obvious sexual tension.

Well played guys, well played

Full text of an open letter from accuser's attorney Roland Cercone to The Buffalo News and The Chicago Tribune:

“What a Mess! What a Circus!

“My name is Roland M. Cercone. I am an attorney whose name has been associated with a high-profile case in this area.

“Not much surprises me after 30 years of practice, including years as the chief prosecutor in the Sex Offense Unit of the Erie County District Attorney’s Office. However, the misrepresentations this case has generated have reached the point of indeed being a circus.

“Recently, it was reported that I am a member of the law offices of attorney Thomas J. Eoannou. This is simply not true. I have my own firm and happen to occupy space in the same building as Mr. Eoannou.

“More troubling is the fact that it has been alleged that I or others have refused to let the complainant in this matter speak with the district attorney or his investigators. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

“When asked if the District Attorney’s Office had spoken with the complainant, Frank Sedita responded that she is represented by counsel. I am confident he did not mean to imply that counsel refused to permit the complainant to speak with his office, but that is certainly what people inferred. And that is how easy it is to have the truth misrepresented.

“For the record, no one has asked to speak to the complainant regarding the latest incident. I suspect this is so because their investigation has already revealed that she had no knowledge of – or anything to do with – this entire fiasco. However, should the district attorney wish to speak with my client, she is ready, willing, and able to cooperate, as she has always done throughout this investigation. I reiterate: never has my client refused to speak or cooperate with the District Attorney’s Office when asked to do so. Any time the district attorney has asked her to come to his office, she has cooperated fully. Now is no exception.

“Sadly, this circus has drawn attention from the pope’s visit to our country, and from his message, among other things, that we should pray for one another. Maybe it’s time that we take that advice.

• Pray for the young lady whose life has been irreparably damaged and forever altered

• Pray for Patrick Kane and his family, who undoubtedly have been adversely affected by this incident

• Pray for the District Attorney’s Office to stay the course

• Pray for those so anxious to report stories in this case

• Pray for those who leak information, whether accurate or not

• Pray for those who spend so much time commenting about this case on social media, instead of examining themselves

• As he requested, pray for Pope Francis

• And certainly, pray for truth and righteousness to prevail

“To date, I have not once spoken with any member of the media, nor have I leaked any information. In fact, I have until today had no desire to comment on this case whatsoever. However, the leaks and misrepresentations have simply gotten out of hand. I do not plan to comment any further in this matter, and prefer instead to allow due process to take its natural course, without any further misrepresentations, untruths, or inaccurate speculation.

“I pray that everyone does the same.

Thank you.

Deacon Roland M. Cercone.

It may be found, together with TBN-copyrighted material that I did not cut and paste, here:  http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/police-courts/patrick-kanes-accuser-will-cooperate-with-da-attorney-says-20150926
Edited by eleven

The Deacon should not cast stones. It seems that what got his goat, and what he chose to lead his letter with, was the audacious and scandalous notion that some people think he works for another lawyer. Oh dear!

As an aside, are there some board rules I've been overlooking? We can't cut and paste text from newspaper articles? I always thought snippets are considered "fair use." Also, we can't mention the name of a certain site that streams hockey games, otherwise SDS could be sued, or something?

eleven, is this just you holding yourself to a higher standard, or do you actually fear being sued, or the site being sued, if you copy and paste from a copyrighted article?

The Deacon should not cast stones. It seems that what got his goat, and what he chose to lead his letter with, was the audacious and scandalous notion that some people think he works for another lawyer. Oh dear!

As an aside, are there some board rules I've been overlooking? We can't cut and paste text from newspaper articles? I always thought snippets are considered "fair use." Also, we can't mention the name of a certain site that streams hockey games, otherwise SDS could be sued, or something?

eleven, is this just you holding yourself to a higher standard, or do you actually fear being sued, or the site being sued, if you copy and paste from a copyrighted article?

It's a lot more than a snippet, so I figured I would point out that it wasn't copyrighted material so it wouldn't be removed, is all.  I don't think anyone has a problem with parts of articles, but, IIRC, we're not really supposed to post whole articles.  

Cercone points out up front that he doesn't work for Eoannou because people who think otherwise would wonder why the firm that resigned is still writing letters, is all.

It's a lot more than a snippet, so I figured I would point out that it wasn't copyrighted material so it wouldn't be removed, is all. I don't think anyone has a problem with parts of articles, but, IIRC, we're not really supposed to post whole articles.

Cercone points out up front that he doesn't work for Eoannou because people who think otherwise would wonder why the firm that resigned is still writing letters, is all.

Q's for you on process / mechanics.

DA said accuser was represented by 2 attorneys (which was true at least until 1 stepped down) and that counsel had indicated the DA couldn't speak to her w/out counsel present. So DA needs to go through attorney rather than directly to accuser for communications. Would he need to contact both attorneys or merely 1 if he/his office wanted to speak to her?

DA said (IIHC, something to the effect that) he hadn't been able to speak to the accuser about the bag. Civil attorney said that's untrue, no attempt to conact was made. If DA only asked criminal attorney to arrange a meeting, couldn't both positions be true?

Is DA required to contact both counsels or does 1 get nominated as the lead and communication goes through that 1? It seems things would get very arduous and the process slow significantly if both leads are responsible for communicating to the other party' s subparties. Also, would this be different if it was communication w/ defendant's criminal & civil counsel?

Edited by Taro T

Does all this public posturing by attorneys, including Cambria, indicate that none of them actually believes this case is going to trial? It seems like they're more interested in saving face and preserving their reputations than anything else.

Edited by pASabreFan

Q's for you on process / mechanics.

DA said accuser was represented by 2 attorneys (which was true at least until 1 stepped down) and that counsel had indicated the DA couldn't speak to her w/out counsel present. So DA needs to go through attorney rather than directly to accuser for communications. Would he need to contact both attorneys or merely 1 if he/his office wanted to speak to her?

DA said (IIHC, something to the effect that) he hadn't been able to speak to the accuser about the bag. Civil attorney said that's untrue, no attempt to conact was made. If DA only asked criminal attorney to arrange a meeting, couldn't both positions be true?

Is DA required to contact both counsels or does 1 get nominated as the lead and communication goes through that 1? It seems things would get very arduous and the process slow significantly if both leads are responsible for communicating to the other party' s subparties. Also, would this be different if it was communication w/ defendant's criminal & civil counsel?

1.  1.

2.  Sure.

3.  Usually there's one lead.  Not always, and yes, it slows down when there's not.

Does all this public posturing by attorneys, including Cambria, indicate that none of them actually believes this case is going to trial? It seems like they're more interested in saving face and preserving their reputations than anything else.

I missed Thursday's posturing.  The initial conference that Eoannou had, and the conference that Cambria had in response to it, seemed intended to advance the legitimate interests of their clients.

The jury in the OJ Simpson case was sworn in 20 years ago this November.

Who'd have thought another case would approach it in the "you can't make this stuff up" category with Buffalo as a focal point.

For the young ....   there really was a scale difference, i must admit ... OJ was world mega news.

Edited by N'eo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.