Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

The high water all along the south shore is crazy. Lots of folks that have seen way more time along the lake than I are saying they've never seen Lake O this high. Lots of damage.

I worked up on Edgemere Drive today at the long pond outlet. The water was shooting up out of the manhole covers, driftwood was all over people's lawns, it was a war zone. It's hard to fight that much water and come out on top.

Who's all heading out for the LOC Derby?

This high water is going to put a real kink into my father's and my routine. It's over the bank at his place on Sandy Creek, so I don't think we'll be able to keep the boat in the water.

Sod..... In the fall,  I spend more time in lower Sandy than I do in my house......and that's probably not an exaggeration. Got some perch there last Sunday by the yacht club, and then the rain hit..... you'll see me in a 16' Blue Duranautic, or a 18.5 ' Black Crestliner..... Sometimes with a Black and Tan Coonhound, and sometimes with We've. (The coonhound has way more personality, and catches more fish.)

Sod..... In the fall, I spend more time in lower Sandy than I do in my house......and that's probably not an exaggeration. Got some perch there last Sunday by the yacht club, and then the rain hit..... you'll see me in a 16' Blue Duranautic, or a 18.5 ' Black Crestliner..... Sometimes with a Black and Tan Coonhound, and sometimes with We've. (The coonhound has way more personality, and catches more fish.)

The personality, I can't help, but that dog gets way more boat time than I do so I call "unfair".

If that hound catches a salmon this Fall and I get shut out again I may just have to find a new way to waste alot of time.

Anyone else ticked off by Gander Mountain Closing?

I shop the Tonawanda Store all the time.

Per USA Today the Cicero and New Hartford Stores will be staying open in NYS.

Gander Mountain is closing? That sucks. Always liked that place. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hsif and I got out on Lake Ontario yesterday morning.  The bite seemed pretty slow for a lot of folks, but a few were catching fish.  We traveled a long way to get a few fish to play with us.  Had some action early, and then did alot of wandering to find just a few more later.  

I'd post Hsif's pic with his fish, but noone wants to see that.

post-2557-0-55522300-1495974951_thumb.jpg

Edited by We've

Hsif and I got out on Lake Ontario yesterday morning.  The bite seemed pretty slow for a lot of folks, but a few were catching fish.  We traveled a long way to get a few fish to play with us.  Had some action early, and then did alot of wandering to find just a few more later.  

I'd post Hsif's pic with his fish, but noone wants to see that.

Very nice...tight lines!

• 3 weeks later...

Three of us took the two hour drive up to Manigotagan and boated 70-75 walleye in 5 hours of fishing....this 26 incher is my biggest of the day. The biggest was 27 3/8 for walleye and 36 inches for Northern Pike. Most fish were 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. We took 10 each and threw the rest back.

post-4543-0-25343700-1497531442_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ducky

Had a pretty good morning on the water.  Got into a good mix of perch and smallmouth bass.  Ended up taking home enough perch for a nice dinner this evening.  The big surprise was one of the perch was just a shade under 15".  Forgot to weight it but it felt like it was running right around 2lbs.  That's a pretty damned big perch anywhere.  And the smallies were feisty this morning.  The bite started to die down once the sun was high enough to really light up the rocky bottom.  By 10am the fish had moved on, likely into deeper water.

I think I'm starting Father's Day tomorrow the same way.  On the water at the crack of dawn.

Day 2 not quite as productive as yesterday, but it was a good day nonetheless.  Got to the lake bright and early and latched onto a nice smallmouth almost immediately.  All of the fish I caught today were gorging themselves on alewives.  They were so full of bait that you could see the tails of the baitfish they were feeding on in their throats.  Early in the morning I was watching small schools of alewives moving in and out among the rocks, and the bigger fish following the groups.  But around 8:30 this morning the baitfish kinda disappeared, and once the baitfish were gone, the bigger fish were gone too. 

All told, I think I caught 6 or 7 smallmouth bass this morning, a couple of them in the 3lb class, and about 8 perch, some of which are now in my freezer.  Not a bad couple of hours to start Father's Day.

For those that don't know..... Alewives are basically freshwater herring.  They are the main bait fish in Lake Ontario and many of the Finger Lakes. Like ocean herring, they travel in schools, usually in open water, but come in to the shallows in late Spring to spawn.

Alosa_pseudoharengus_%28NY%29.jpg

Day 2 not quite as productive as yesterday, but it was a good day nonetheless. Got to the lake bright and early and latched onto a nice smallmouth almost immediately. All of the fish I caught today were gorging themselves on alewives. They were so full of bait that you could see the tails of the baitfish they were feeding on in their throats. Early in the morning I was watching small schools of alewives moving in and out among the rocks, and the bigger fish following the groups. But around 8:30 this morning the baitfish kinda disappeared, and once the baitfish were gone, the bigger fish were gone too.

All told, I think I caught 6 or 7 smallmouth bass this morning, a couple of them in the 3lb class, and about 8 perch, some of which are now in my freezer. Not a bad couple of hours to start Father's Day.

For those that don't know..... Alewives are basically freshwater herring. They are the main bait fish in Lake Ontario and many of the Finger Lakes. Like ocean herring, they travel in schools, usually in open water, but come in to the shallows in late Spring to spawn.

Alosa_pseudoharengus_%28NY%29.jpg

I learned something new today.

Can you catch em and smoke em?

I learned something new today.

Can you catch em and smoke em?

They aren't nearly as big as ocean herring.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

Oh, whitefish appear to be making a comeback in Lake Ontario.  There is your smoked Great Lakes delicacy right there.

While most of you ninnies were home complaining about the second day of the NHL draft I was out on the water again.  Got a late start but had a pretty decent morning.  Caught 8 smallmouth bass in the shallows today.  Not alot of size to them.  2lbs was about the largest. The lake was rough and there was a lot of sediment stirred up.  And the bass were chasing baitfish.

This year I started using a simple, Vibrax style spinner with the idea of locating fish with it and then switching to jigs and slower presentations to thoroughly work the area.  Today the fish wanted to chase bait and the spinner was what they wanted to hit.  I'm going to have to make more of these.

• 1 month later...

Hey Brawndo........

What port did you fish out of? How deep was the water you were fishing in?

We've recently had some east wind on Ontario, which pushes colder water into shallower depths, and that can make fishing tougher. So I'm thinking conditions were not optimal today.... not to mention, it had to be pretty rough...... good job just for sticking it out. 

I found a new fishing store not 10 minutes from my house. It's awesome. Stocked up on a bunch of lures and hooks for Raquette Lake this week. Can't wait to try to new circle hooks out on the Crappie so I don't have to rip their guts out if I want my hook back (relax, I don't really do that).

Gander Mountain is closingits doors. Our hotel this week d happens to be less than a mile from a Gander Mountain so we stopped in. 70%-90% off everything. I literally bought an armful of steelhead jigs, and at least 20 Thill slip floats. And a LH holster. All for about $40.

There's not much left in the stores, but what's left is dirt cheap. If they happen to have something you use, you'll won't see prices like that any time soon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.