Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

I've got a 2lb venison steak that I want to make into a stew. Anyone have a good recipe before I take a gamble on anything I find on the internet? The more "old school" the better. 

I personally substitute venison in the classic Beef Bourguignonne.  About as old school French stew as you can get.  One note with cooking venison, you want to remove as much silver skin as you reasonably can.  No need to go crazy with it though.

Do you know which cut that steak is from?  Some cuts are better for stewing than others.  

As for a recipe link, again, what's more old school than Julia Child?  I use a variation of hers rather often.  http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-child39s-beef-bourguignon/f7e0a6c5-710d-4c83-89a6-2a4936fec81a

Serve with a bottle of beaoujais and salute France.

I personally substitute venison in the classic Beef Bourguignonne. About as old school French stew as you can get. One note with cooking venison, you want to remove as much silver skin as you reasonably can. No need to go crazy with it though.

Do you know which cut that steak is from? Some cuts are better for stewing than others.

As for a recipe link, again, what's more old school than Julia Child? I use a variation of hers rather often. http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-child39s-beef-bourguignon/f7e0a6c5-710d-4c83-89a6-2a4936fec81a

Serve with a bottle of beaoujais and salute France.

I think mine is technically a roast. But I think I'd rather stew it.

I think mine is technically a roast. But I think I'd rather stew it.

BTW, this is a pretty solid, if not traditional, recipe as well.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pot-roast-recipe.html

You can braise (or stew, same thing) in almost any liquid that has complimentary flavors.  Wine and venison are practically made for each other, but making a Guinness stew with venison works very well too.  And plain ole ordinary beef stock is really solid.  Brown the meat, flour it to thicken the liquid you'll be adding, use enough liquid to come about 1/2 way up the meat, season, add herbs (thyme always seems to work, as does bay leaf), slow cook with a tightly sealed lid, add veggies and taters 30-45 minutes before done, and in a few hours you have high end luxury comfort food.

Edited by We've

These venison suggestions sound great. I grew up on the stuff. I'll share my favorite. I suggest brining your roast over night. Two tablespoons of salt per quart of water and whatever other seasonings you like. I use browning sauce and sear the outside on the grill full blast, then continue to cook it in the oven as a pot roast. Sneak a taste. Once it's cooled I pull it a bit and make it into a shepherd's pie. Top it with a healthy dose of your favorite cheddar and brown that up a bit. It sounds like a lot of work but so worth it. The brining relaxes the fibers and moistens the meat. You know it's good if my wife will eat it.

These venison suggestions sound great. I grew up on the stuff. I'll share my favorite. I suggest brining your roast over night. Two tablespoons of salt per quart of water and whatever other seasonings you like. I use browning sauce and sear the outside on the grill full blast, then continue to cook it in the oven as a pot roast. Sneak a taste. Once it's cooled I pull it a bit and make it into a shepherd's pie. Top it with a healthy dose of your favorite cheddar and brown that up a bit. It sounds like a lot of work but so worth it. The brining relaxes the fibers and moistens the meat. You know it's good if my wife will eat it.

May sound weird, but I liked to brine overnight in ginger ale or sprite/7-up.  Lightly buttered, a little salt and pepper and cook a nice venison steak to a medium rare over the grill.

Sides included some grilled polenta with tomato and grilled asparagus.

It's been awhile since I've been able to post in this one.  Been on the water most every weekend, but haven't had much success.

Got out on a Lake Ontario tributary yesterday morning with a Sabrespace lurker who will remain anonymous unless he wants to out himself.  It was new water for me.  Had a heck of a time.  I caught 4 lake run brown trout.  The largest was a beaut, maybe 13lbs.  Had another break off, and a couple missed hookups.  Mr. Anonymous also caught 4 or 5 big fish, two steelhead and the rest browns.  And he has several more break offs.  Our lurker is a damned good angler and a great host.

Best morning of fishing in a few months.  And he said it was a slow day.  

It's been awhile since I've been able to post in this one.  Been on the water most every weekend, but haven't had much success.

Got out on a Lake Ontario tributary yesterday morning with a Sabrespace lurker who will remain anonymous unless he wants to out himself.  It was new water for me.  Had a heck of a time.  I caught 4 lake run brown trout.  The largest was a beaut, maybe 13lbs.  Had another break off, and a couple missed hookups.  Mr. Anonymous also caught 4 or 5 big fish, two steelhead and the rest browns.  And he has several more break offs.  Our lurker is a damned good angler and a great host.

Best morning of fishing in a few months.  And he said it was a slow day.  

Ullmark is a fisherman. Thinks he needs a boat to do some great fishing around these parts (see article translated by MODO in Ullmark thread). You constantly prove otherwise.

• 3 months later...

Good story.... (not a great one)..... I've got a 7 month old black and tan coonhound pup that is being trained to run fox and coyotes. He's pretty good in snow, but uses his eyes a little too much right now. We went out for a walk yesterday afternoon trying to find a fox track for him to have some fun on, and we never did find a track fresh enough for him to get interested in, but in the meantime..... after about 2 hours of hiking in 2 different squares..... I came upon a can of Blue Light..... Laying alongside of a snowmobile trail (imagine that)..... unopened......but not for long..... man did that thing taste good! Contrary to earlier beliefs, there just might be a place in life for a can of light beer....

Good story.... (not a great one)..... I've got a 7 month old black and tan coonhound pup that is being trained to run fox and coyotes. He's pretty good in snow, but uses his eyes a little too much right now. We went out for a walk yesterday afternoon trying to find a fox track for him to have some fun on, and we never did find a track fresh enough for him to get interested in, but in the meantime..... after about 2 hours of hiking in 2 different squares..... I came upon a can of Blue Light..... Laying alongside of a snowmobile trail (imagine that)..... unopened......but not for long..... man did that thing taste good! Contrary to earlier beliefs, there just might be a place in life for a can of light beer....

:w00t:

Wild caught Blue Light is so much more gamey than store bought Blue Light.  Maybe just use it in the smoker.

• 2 months later...

Shot a 2 year old gobbler this week...... Worked 5 birds the day before with my daughter, and had 2 jakes inside 15 yards...... just couldn't get one of the big boys to commit. Then on Wednesday morning, I was working what I think was a 3 YO, and this 2 YO walks into my vision from behind me at 15 yards..... wrong place, wrong time.

We'll be trying for a bird for her tomorrow morning!

I've got a buddy who has done the sea duck thing for a couple of years...... he says it's very dependent on the weather. 2 years ago, they had a great hunt. Last year, warm weather.... no birds. They go with a guide off Long Island. 

Oh cool, I didn't realize this thread existed!

First day of the LOC Derby today. Floated out of Sandy Creek early and trolled in close around the mud line. Landed a couple of smaller Browns immediately after sunrise and then it shut right down, so we packed it up and left for work. Gonna go back out later and try something different.

The weekend hunting was uneventful..... saw 4 birds(1 gobbler? 3 hens?) on Saturday morning, but they weren't saying a thing. I think someone must have found my honeyhole late in the week and shook things up a little ........

Brined and smoked the breasts from last weeks bird........... smoked with cherry...... It turned out pretty good.  

Edited by hsif

• 3 weeks later...

Just to get SwampD hating me again....

Had a little fun in the lower Niagara River this morning.  Spent some time in Devil's Hole and Artpark.  The silver bass are starting to come on.  Didn't get alot of them today, 6 or so.  And had to do alot of traveling along the shoreline to find them.  But it sure beat yard work.

IMG_0064_zpsufcjyadk.jpg

IMG_0057_zpswvuipecq.jpg

Just to get SwampD hating me again....

Had a little fun in the lower Niagara River this morning.  Spent some time in Devil's Hole and Artpark.  The silver bass are starting to come on.  Didn't get alot of them today, 6 or so.  And had to do alot of traveling along the shoreline to find them.  But it sure beat yard work.

IMG_0064_zpsufcjyadk.jpg

IMG_0057_zpswvuipecq.jpg

No hate here. Those fish are fun.

Here's my first laker from 2 weeks ago. My buddy's boat issue was just an oil pump so I didn't feel guilty about peppering him for my fish pics.

post-1429-0-85550400-1464567348_thumb.jpg

post-1429-0-97120600-1464567528_thumb.jpg

I think the best fish of the day, though, was a sheeper that took about twenty minutes to land.

They really are tanks. And somehow, they seem like a better catch when we call them fresh water drum. :lol:

People actually keep those things when they are ocean caught. Didnt anyone tell them they are fertilizer? :p

People actually keep those things when they are ocean caught. Didnt anyone tell them they are fertilizer? :P

I would be a happy man if I could catch fertilizer for a couple of hours a day.

Make that a couple of hours a week (month?).

I would be a happy man if I could catch fertilizer for a couple of hours a day.

Make that a couple of hours a week (month?).

Would I prefer to catch more glamorous (or more delicious) fish?  Yes.  But at the end of the day, I just wanna catch fish.  Which is why I was catching silver bass this morning.  Were I catching sheepshead, I'd still have enjoyed it.  I probably would have lost some tackle since the lightweight gear was used today..... but I'd have enjoyed it the same.

Speaking of which, had a muskie up close.  I could have dangled a lure in front of him.  On light weight gear..... I watched him hunt for a minute or two.  They are out of season for another month anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.