Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Shot in a competition last night for the first time since my son was born. Did better than expected. Had a good time. Started feeling comfortable around the 3rd set of targets (5 sets of 10).

This interests me. Shot what, at what distance?

Me, my dog and 12 ruffed grouse from Oct. 15/2016.attachicon.gifDeuce, me and 12 chickens.jpg

Those are nice looking birds Ducky.  Fat.  I wish I lived closer I would invite myself over for dinner when you cook them up.  Nice looking pooch as well.  Do you use him/her as a flushed or just to retrieve?

Metallic silhouettes. 50'. Metal cutouts of chickens, turkeys, pigs, sheep. Chickens are about the size of a nickle, sheep are maybe 4". All shot with rimfire pistols.

Cool. So what's your plinking pistol of choice?

I haven't been to the range I over a year. I'm starting to get the urge to go again.

Cool. So what's your plinking pistol of choice?

I haven't been to the range I over a year. I'm starting to get the urge to go again.

These arent plinkers. High Standards are the pistol of choice. I use a 1911 with a rimfire upper designed by Bob Marvel. They have a fixed barrel and sights on the barrel like a High Standard or S&W 41, but designed to be fitted on a 1911. They are middle of the road bullseye guns.

Those are nice looking birds Ducky.  Fat.  I wish I lived closer I would invite myself over for dinner when you cook them up.  Nice looking pooch as well.  Do you use him/her as a flushed or just to retrieve?

Deuce says thanks for the compliment....he is 9 years old and had the day off today...It is my favorite bird meat whether tame or wild...We got another 8 today but should have had our 12 easily...The dog wasn't with me today...I use Deuce to flush them if I know for sure they are in the area and I can't see them and he retrieves them...otherwise he walks about 8 yards in front of me and smells every blade of grass in his way...I dropped one today and had a hard time finding where it fell, could have used him but I eventually found it with only a broken wing...he is approaching 700 lifetime water retrieves though.....we've taken 27 ruffies the last 3 times we were there....an hour and 15 minute trip from my driveway until we load the guns on a VERY rough road...it is an old logging road that is no longer maintained and the beaver are everywhere in there so there is LOTS of water coming over the road in some places...going for ducks on Thursday and ruffies again on Friday.

My buddies are trying to get me to go out for walleye as the big ones are in the river but I would rather pull the trigger.

That would be a tough choice for me as I like walleye as much as grouse. Had a Black lab named Regis who was terrible in the water but loved grouse and pheasant. We even got him to sit still in a turkey blind. He would help bust up the flocks in the morning and sit still while we called them back in. Don't hunt much since my dad passed away. Still fish a lot and steelhead season should be good this year.

Gotta crow a little bit on this one....... landed a 5 - 6 lb "fantail" rainbow last night. I've been steelhead fishing for over 35 years, and probably have landed in the neighborhood of 2,500 steelhead over that time ..... but this is the 1st fantail I've ever seen in the flesh. The fish is in the freezer until her date with the taxidermist. 

and this is interesting.....

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/coyote-attacks-women-upstate-new-york/

• 3 weeks later...

The Northern birds are FINALLY moving down...

24 ducks with 12 Bluebills, 3 GW Teal, 1 Wigeon and 8 Mallards. All were very, very fat. Made duck stew yesterday with some mallards. mmm mmmmm

Thousands of mallards coming back just before dark while we were picking up decoys. Back at it tomorrow...

This hunt was Saturday and we had highs of 62F...normal highs are 32F...

post-4543-0-65474700-1478535528_thumb.jpg

post-4543-0-02984100-1478536824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ducky

Thanks for the compliment on the prep and skill but I think it is important to eat what you shoot or give to people that enjoy eating it whether it is ducks or moose or whatever.

I am Metis but the daily limit is 8 so we stopped at 3 limits about 10-15 minutes after sundown or 15-20 minutes before legal shooting ended. I don't usually shoot more than the daily limit but I do carry over the possession limit...24. The pic I posted with the grouse a couple of weeks ago has 12 which is the daily limit for two hunters.

I eat a lot of wild meat at this time of the year and have a mallard stew in the fridge right now and had grouse in a stir fry today...I have goose breakfast sausages and burgers in the freezer and goose pate from a friend and smoked Goldeye in the fridge from another friend. Another duck hunting buddy is hunting moose and I would love to get a couple of steaks off of him if they get any. I will have walleye (crazy fishermen out fishing before we were at the launch!) for supper Wednesday but Tuesday and Thursday I will be out on evening hunts as I prefer them over mornings at this time of the year so I won't be eating supper those days. My better half doesn't eat store bought meat but she will eat anything I harvest while hunting so I don't eat a lot of store bought meat either.

I wasn't dressed as warm as those two but remember that it was a 35 minute boat ride back to the launch and it was closer to 50F at that time of day. Also, chest waders are a must. We are having really unseasonably warm weather and the marsh is usually 75% frozen by now and the high for tomorrow is 50F! We have no freezing nights forecast until the 16th. The ducks will be gone within 16 or so days I would say but I expect the amount of mallards to increase exponentially for the next few days and the Canvasbacks, Redheads, Bluebills and Buffleheads numbers should peak in a few days. This is my favorite time of the year to hunt so I will try to make it out every second day for ducks until they are gone. I hunt until I can't find any open water to hunt. Then see what I can do about putting some more grouse in the freezer. It is a really good season for ruffies.

Anyone off of the site want to come down before the season is over give me a shout. The best hunting is just around the corner.

Edited by Ducky

Hunted 75 yards away from where we were Saturday and got 2 mallards yesterday evening....not sure where they all have gone but only saw about 40 ducks and the bluebills aren't using that part of the marsh any more either......just when you think you have it figured out.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.