Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Bought a fishing kayak today.

She's a beast. 12' 6" long, 38" beam, Tri hull, 96lbs unloaded.  The deck on it is wide, and flat, like a mini aircraft carrier.  It is basically a shrunken, one man bass boat.

Super stable.  Stable enough to fish standing up!  Because I'm not loading 100lbs of fishing kayak on the roof rack of my Jeep, I've got a trailer for it as well.  The trailer is a jet ski trailer that I am modifying to fit the kayak.

Also ordered a sonar unit with GPS.  This thing is going to be a fishing machine.  Leaning heavily towards putting an electric trolling motor on it as well so I can troll in the lakes with it.

I'll have the winter to rig it out the way I want.  Rod holders, anchor trolley, maybe a stand up rack, mount the sonar/GPS/battery on a removable pod, need to fabricate something to secure a small cooler as well.  I'll need to wire it for lights if I am going to be on the water before dawn or after dusk as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool.  was the pup the lead dog in the chase?

Porter was not in on this chase......... just the pics! 

As for bag limits.... I've been calling/running them for a little over 20 years, and there has never been a bag limit. When I started hunting them, the understanding of their population was developing and the  NYS DEC required a pelt tag when you harvested one. That has not been necessary for probably 15 years now, as they are literally everywhere. I have a picture from 2 weeks ago of a coyote running between the houses in a Greece NY neighborhood. Hide your cats......... but there are legal seasons. In some states they are "open year round".........

Edited by hsif

• 3 months later...

Got out this morning for some perch fishing in the snow.

Did get into a school of fish, and managed to take home a couple of meals worth.  The action was hot and heavy for a short time and then it tapered off quickly and I had to really work to catch just a few more.

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than catching a mess of fish.  And big Great Lakes perch are a delicious bonus.

Got out this morning for some perch fishing in the snow.

Did get into a school of fish, and managed to take home a couple of meals worth. The action was hot and heavy for a short time and then it tapered off quickly and I had to really work to catch just a few more.

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than catching a mess of fish. And big Great Lakes perch are a delicious bonus.

I’m very jealous We’ve. That’s a perfect Sunday Morning

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of updates to this thread.

Picture of my new fish catcher attached. Maiden voyage for my new fishing kayak will be this weekend if the weather forecast holds. She’s all set up and ready to go. As long as the wind forecast is mild, she’ll be on a lake this weekend.

HSIF and I got out for some salmon fishing yesterday. We had a good morning, boating 10 fish and losing 3 more. HSIF had a good program running and we were in action all morning. Seems like this season is shaping up to be a real good one for salmon on the big lake.

post-2557-0-54458200-1527545646_thumb.jpeg

post-2557-0-13710000-1527545673_thumb.jpeg

post-2557-0-55642800-1527545696_thumb.jpeg

A couple of updates to this thread.

Picture of my new fish catcher attached. Maiden voyage for my new fishing kayak will be this weekend if the weather forecast holds. She’s all set up and ready to go. As long as the wind forecast is mild, she’ll be on a lake this weekend.

HSIF and I got out for some salmon fishing yesterday. We had a good morning, boating 10 fish and losing 3 more. HSIF had a good program running and we were in action all morning. Seems like this season is shaping up to be a real good one for salmon on the big lake.

Is that you holding that catch?

Is that you holding that catch?

Yep. That was our 2nd salmon caught. We boated one that might have been bigger, but she was released to be caught again.

That is a Sabres fleece. The fish is blocking the logo.

Edited by We've

• 3 weeks later...

Made it onto the lake this morning with my new fish catcher. Gorgeous morning. Fished a lake I’ve never been to before. And I managed to find a school of crappie to play with.

Had a great time with the kayak. Learned a few things. Only had one scary moment. Expecting to be back on the water tomorrow morning as well.

post-2557-0-63612000-1529192674_thumb.jpeg

post-2557-0-20887800-1529192694_thumb.jpeg

post-2557-0-46877100-1529192716_thumb.jpeg

Was at the same lake at dawn this morning. Couldn’t catch a fish. Unlike yesterday, I couldn’t locate a school of crappies.

Did talk to a fellow at the ramp that gave me some pointers regarding where to find walleyes. Hopefully that comes in handy next weekend.

Made it onto the lake this morning with my new fish catcher. Gorgeous morning. Fished a lake I’ve never been to before. And I managed to find a school of crappie to play with.

Had a great time with the kayak. Learned a few things. Only had one scary moment. Expecting to be back on the water tomorrow morning as well.

Is that a Garmin Striker 4 Depth/Fish Finder?

And how do you like it?

Is that a Garmin Striker 4 Depth/Fish Finder?

And how do you like it?

That is Garmin Striker 4.  It worked fine.  I think I need to adjust the sensitivity a bit.  It was a big help in locating fish on Saturday.

Controls are very straight forward and user friendly.  It's not a touch screen, but at about $100 your not getting things like touchscreen. 

Edited by We've

That is Garmin Striker 4.  It worked fine.  I think I need to adjust the sensitivity a bit.  It was a big help in locating fish on Saturday.

Controls are very straight forward and user friendly.  It's not a touch screen, but at about $100 your not getting things like touchscreen.

Thanks for the info. We rent a pontoon boat in the 1000 Islands for a week in July and I’m looking for portable fish finder and that’s the one which keeps popping up in my search for one.

Thanks for the info. We rent a pontoon boat in the 1000 Islands for a week in July and I’m looking for portable fish finder and that’s the one which keeps popping up in my search for one.

The version I got isn't readily portable.  I had to mount my transducer.  I know they make an ice fishing version that is in a pack with a battery and you drop the transducer in the hole.  You could use something like that, but the transducer needs to be in the water so I'm not usre how you'd use it when the boat is underway.

The version I got isn't readily portable.  I had to mount my transducer.  I know they make an ice fishing version that is in a pack with a battery and you drop the transducer in the hole.  You could use something like that, but the transducer needs to be in the water so I'm not usre how you'd use it when the boat is underway.

There is a transducer that mounts to the pontoon with a suction cup, it’s a 24 foot boat with a 60hp motor so usually speed of the boat, more lack there of, doesn’t knock it off.

There is a transducer that mounts to the pontoon with a suction cup, it’s a 24 foot boat with a 60hp motor so usually speed of the boat, more lack there of, doesn’t knock it off.

I've seen the suction cup mounts.  Seems like they would be a good temporary option,.  Are you sure the mount manufacturer has a model for the Garmin trnasducer?  Or are you saying that Garmin sells the Striker 4 with the option of a suction cup mount?  that's a great idea, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

So last week, you're breaking my stones about being on vacation and then you go and post pics like this? something about pots and kettles.

you can always get your walleyes at the fish market.

LOL you had yours, now I get mine!

The market might be where I get my walleyes. ????

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.