Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

What kind of swans are they? We only see Tundra swans moving through here. We have tons of geese here as we live near Oak Hammock Wildlife Management Area...if I'm not mistaken, it is the biggest staging area for gees in NA. You can't hunt the water there and I am a water hunter. We take them in the other marshes but we are mainly there for ducks.

My favorite eating duck is a teal duck. Of the 4 ducks I brought home, the Redhead and theĀ 2 Widgeons will make a nice stew. They've been in the fridge since we shot them and I will clean them today.

I will probably freeze the teal and save it for more of them and deep-fry them with hearts or put them in a stir fry. My better half won't eat store-bought meat but she will shoot any game I am lucky enough to harvest. She is in Kingston, ON visiting her mom so chances are she won't get any!

What a great morning.Ā  Took an impromptu vacation day and headed out to a nearby lake.Ā  There is nothing quite as relaxing as early morning on a quiet lake.Ā Ā  And I was in my kayak so even I wasn't disturbing the peace.

The cottagers are gone for the week.Ā  The boaters are few.Ā  The loons were calling.Ā  Geese were flying in formation overhead.Ā  A bald eagle graced me with his presence and fished with me for awhile.Ā  Nirvana.

And I stumbled upon some big schools of crappies.Ā  Holy cow, I haven't caught crappies like that since my teen years when Dad and I would fish the Chautauqua Lake canals for crappies after ice out.

Edited by Weave

On 9/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, Ducky said:

What kind of swans are they? We only see Tundra swans moving through here. We have tons of geese here as we live near Oak Hammock Wildlife Management Area...if I'm not mistaken, it is the biggest staging area for gees in NA. You can't hunt the water there and I am a water hunter. We take them in the other marshes but we are mainly there for ducks.

My favorite eating duck is a teal duck. Of the 4 ducks I brought home, the Redhead and theĀ 2 Widgeons will make a nice stew. They've been in the fridge since we shot them and I will clean them today.

I will probably freeze the teal and save it for more of them and deep-fry them with hearts or put them in a stir fry. My better half won't eat store-bought meat but she will shoot any game I am lucky enough to harvest. She is in Kingston, ON visiting her mom so chances are she won't get any!

No idea... big white ones on the canals between the reservoirs in upper Westchester... Geese around here and down along the Potomac are nuisance with all their poop and not enough Predators. Ā Some stay most of the year. Ā Along the Potomac their were often thousands in the fall. My Lab/dalmation loved to chase them. Incredible sight seeing the flock defender hed toward him till the realized he wasnt slowing down and the wholw flock would take flight at once. Ā Never got one close but no cigar.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

What a great morning.Ā  Took an impromptu vacation day and headed out to a nearby lake.Ā  There is nothing quite as relaxing as early morning on a quiet lake.Ā Ā  And I was in my kayak so even I wasn't disturbing the peace.

The cottagers are gone for the week.Ā  The boaters are few.Ā  The loons were calling.Ā  Geese were flying in formation overhead.Ā  A bald eagle graced me with his presence and fished with me for awhile.Ā  Nirvana.

And I stumbled upon some big schools of crappies.Ā  Holy cow, I haven't caught crappies like that since my teen years when Dad and I would fish the Chautauqua Lake canals for crappies after ice out.

Sounds like a perfect dayĀ 

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Fishing the Chautauqua crappie run with my dad, is my favorite childhood memory. We would cap the day with a rootbeer float at the drive in diner in Mayville. Ā Best times. Ā 

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Oooh la la. Weave was fancy.

I once played a gig at Webb's. It was a full on Bob;s Country Bunker scene. Not only wouldn't they pay us, but they said we owed for how much we drank

LOL Harbor House is/was a family diner style joint.Ā  Nothing fancy but the name.

6 hours ago, 3putt said:

I play golf at the Institute once a summer and drive by the bay/boat harbor we fished off of and can still see the remnants of the drive in. Ā The seemed much bigger when I was 6Ā ?

Before the economic crash in 08 my wife and I owned a place in the Institute. Ā The Chautauqua Golf Club was my favorite place to play. Ā Havenā€™t played there since we had to sell the place.

I donā€™t golf at all anymore. Ā Tendonitis problems in both wrists. Ā I guess it gives me more time to fish.

4 hours ago, LikeEich said:

Beautiful evening hunting whitetail. Only seen a beaver but first time out this season. Just getting warmed up for the moose hunt in a week! Can't wait! Anyone else going for moose this year?ļ»æļ»æ

Ā 

I've been kicking around Moose hunting next fall...... maybe in Newfoundland...... Ā My Daughter wants to go on a hunt for something I'd never chased before, and I just can't afford an Alaska or Yukon moose hunt, so Newfoundland is an option.Ā 

In general, where are you hunting?Ā 

Ā 

Most of the southern part of MB is closed to hunting because of low populations. I love moose hunting but the best way to hunt them now in MB is to fly in to a remote spot. Thinking of doing it next year. Boats are there and a modest cabin/shack. My favorite meat that doesn't have wings. I've had Barren Ground Caribou and it was excellent. I don't hunt deer or Elk because I dont' like the tase.

Newfieland for moose would be good and I think a moose/caribou hunt is reasonably priced.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, hsif said:

I've been kicking around Moose hunting next fall...... maybe in Newfoundland...... Ā My Daughter wants to go on a hunt for something I'd never chased before, and I just can't afford an Alaska or Yukon moose hunt, so Newfoundland is an option.Ā 

In general, where are you hunting?Ā 

Ā 

Newfoundland would probably be a great experience! I've never been but there's alot of moose around there! I'd definitely recommend a moose hunt, if you catch them in the rut and they are answering and coming in to the call it can be quite exhilarating.Ā 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:06 AM, Ducky said:

Most of the southern part of MB is closed to hunting because of low populations. I love moose hunting but the best way to hunt them now in MB is to fly in to a remote spot. Thinking of doing it next year. Boats are there and a modest cabin/shack. My favorite meat that doesn't have wings. I've had Barren Ground Caribou and it was excellent. I don't hunt deer or Elk because I dont' like the tase.

Newfieland for moose would be good and I think a moose/caribou hunt is reasonably priced.

Yup unfortunately southern Manitoba is closed because there's very few moose left. I've done a few flyins in northern Manitoba and it's generally around 50% Ā success rate depending on where you go!

This year we're going up in northern Manitoba again, were canoeing in to a somewhat remote lake. Going to be alot of work but the fishing is always great.

I do very much enjoy wild meat, we make our own pepperettes, Smokey's, Jerky the whole 9. Some animals are very wild tasting, but after alot of fine tuning recipes it can be quite delicious!

Edited by LikeEich

10 hours ago, LikeEich said:

Newfoundland would probably be a great experience! I've never been but there's alot of moose around there! I'd definitely recommend a moose hunt, if you catch them in the rut and they are answering and coming in to the call it can be quite exhilarating.Ā 

Yup unfortunately southern Manitoba is closed because there's very few moose left. I've done a few flyins in northern Manitoba and it's generally around 50% Ā success rate depending on where you go!

This year we're going up in northern Manitoba again, were canoeing in to a somewhat remote lake. Going to be alot of work but the fishing is always great.

I do very much enjoy wild meat, we make our own pepperettes, Smokey's, Jerky the whole 9. Some animals are very wild tasting, but after alot of fine tuning recipes it can be quite delicious!

Are you going north of Lake Winnipeg or the east side of it? Don't have to do anything to moose meat for me to like it.Ā 

My hunting partner uses all of the goose meat and makes pate out of the liver. She saves the hearts for me. She makes a stock out of the necks and theĀ bigger breasts she corns and makes pastrami and she grinds the rest (including wing, leg and back meat) of it and makes sausages and ground meat.

She gives me some (because I don't go after birds in the field) pate, pastrami and ground meat and it is all great. Goose burgers and meatloaf are excellente! My better half won't eat factory farmed meat but she loves wild meat!

On 9/23/2018 at 9:50 PM, Ducky said:

Are you going north of Lake Winnipeg or the east side of it? Don't have to do anything to moose meat for me to like it.Ā 

My hunting partner uses all of the goose meat and makes pate out of the liver. She saves the hearts for me. She makes a stock out of the necks and theĀ bigger breasts she corns and makes pastrami and she grinds the rest (including wing, leg and back meat) of it and makes sausages and ground meat.

She gives me some (because I don't go after birds in the field) pate, pastrami and ground meat and it is all great. Goose burgers and meatloaf are excellente! My better half won't eat factory farmed meat but she loves wild meat!

Were going to the east of it, just past wanipagow in GHA 17A. Can't wait starting to cool now. Just hope the water levels are good. (They were lower this year then I ever remember seeing them)

That's interesting, I've been thinking of getting into waterfowl but I've never eaten much if it and wasn't too sure how to cook it. I'll have to give that a shot because their is geese everywhere here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 12:41 AM, LikeEich said:

Were going to the east of it, just past wanipagow in GHA 17A. Can't wait starting to cool now. Just hope the water levels are good. (They were lower this year then I ever remember seeing them)

That's interesting, I've been thinking of getting into waterfowl but I've never eaten much if it and wasn't too sure how to cook it. I'll have to give that a shot because their is geese everywhere here.

LOTS of bears up there too.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.