Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Pulled in a small brownie and a small yellow perch this morning fishing off the pier at Hamlin Beach. It was absolutely beautiful today. No wind. No movement. The water was glass. Total Zen.

I havent fished that pier yet. I may have to put it in the rotation.

• 3 weeks later...

Was out on Lake Ontario today.  4 of us ended up with 6 Chinook and 3 steelhead.  It was a gorgeous day to be on the water.  And the fish are always a nice bonus.

Our view coming out of Pt. Breeze at 6am......

IMG_0089_zpsr3ezk3ns.jpg

My bro and his daughter and my sister's son-in-law and I went for smallmouth and walleye the weekend of June 3....

12 small northern pikes and 185 Smallmouth Bass in a full day and a half....bass action was non-stop with a few going over 19 inches but I think we were about 5-7 days late.......

Then we drove back towards home an hour and stopped for walleye.....strong winds prevented us from going on the lake and getting to our spot and we only managed 2 walleye with a Crappie and one small Northern Pike in the river but we only fished for about 90 minutes and headed back to the motel room and drank beer. Got out on the lake about 7 am the next day and three of us caught over 30 eater-size walleye and a big Freshwater Drum. The sister's son-in-law and I have been doing this trip for about 5 years but now the bro and his daughter want to join in annually...

I tried filming them fishing with poppers but nobody caught anything until I turned the camcorder off and it is too bad because topwater action was really good.

Just to get SwampD hating me again....

Had a little fun in the lower Niagara River this morning.  Spent some time in Devil's Hole and Artpark.  The silver bass are starting to come on.  Didn't get alot of them today, 6 or so.  And had to do alot of traveling along the shoreline to find them.  But it sure beat yard work.

IMG_0064_zpsufcjyadk.jpg

IMG_0057_zpswvuipecq.jpg

Do you guys eat those White Bass?

They are delicious.

There were 3 of us fishing (bro's daughter didn't fish that morning) and one had a conservation license so we could keep 6, 6, and 4 for 16 walleye.

We could have kept more because my bro and I are Metis but we stuck to the limits. We threw them back to be caught another day. We aren't there for the meat, we are there for the fun of it and the camaraderie....oh ya, and the beer, we are there for the beer too.

Bissett is about a 3 hour drive for the bass and an hour back towards home is Manigotagan where we stopped for the walleye....Adam and I caught 86 walleye there one evening in about 4 1/2 hours.

We were using bottom bouncers and worms on a 5 foot worm harness and trolling about 1.5 mph. I did catch one casting a crank while someone was taking line off of the propellor.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright anglers! ubkev needs advice. I haven't fished in over 15 years. I always had my dad to set up my rig. Now, I'm dad and I'm pretty useless. I can tie a hook or lure on and put some spit shots on the line and that's about it! My fishing terminology is next to non existent.

So far we will be fishing the river from shore. I think I should be fishing for walleye and bass. Any tips would be more than awesome.

Went out for an hour and a half today, just to get the lines in the water. No bites. First time I've ever gone fishing and not caught a fish. I wasn't expecting much but still, very humbling!

Niagara River? Heavy current = lots of weight to get your bait down where the fish are.

Best short tip I can give you is, if you aren't snagging bottom occassionally, you arent deep enough. Add more weight. You should feel your rig tapping bottom.

And google up drop shot rig. Its a better fly trap for fishing in current or drift fishing.

River fishing has unique challenges. Fish dont want to waste energy fighting the current all the time. You need to learn to read the water. Look for seams where slow water meets fast water. Look for eddies and other slack water areas. Those draw fish because less energy is needed to maintain position. And keep your bait near bottom. Most fish are botom oriented.

Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Not a very strong current, but a slight one for sure. More weight eh? Alright. Susquehanna is only about 8 to 12 feet deep where I'm at right now. Should I be talking to the guys at the local tackle shop to see what the fish are biting on, or is that a good way to get sold stuff that I don't need?

Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Not a very strong current, but a slight one for sure. More weight eh? Alright. Susquehanna is only about 8 to 12 feet deep where I'm at right now. Should I be talking to the guys at the local tackle shop to see what the fish are biting on, or is that a good way to get sold stuff that I don't need?

Both.

Local knowledge is golden. If the shop is pointing you in the right direction a nominal purchase is a great way to say thanks.

Local bait shop is the 1st place I'd turn for info. Buy your bait from him too. He'll keep giving you info.

Dont go too heavy. Enough to get you in contact with bottom is all you need.

Worms and a simple rig. And then be where the fish are. That local shop can be a big help for that.

Local bait shop is the 1st place I'd turn for info. Buy your bait from him too. He'll keep giving you info.

Dont go too heavy. Enough to get you in contact with bottom is all you need.

Worms and a simple rig. And then be where the fish are. That local shop can be a big help for that.

Cool beans. The guy about 25 feet down from me was definitely fishing a heavier rig than I was today. Also he had a 7 foot rod(gigity) but his line made a much heavier kerplunk upon entering the water. His line also stayed tight and the current wasn't taking it hardly at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been out but buddies are telling me that the Channel cats are biting like crazy. Many masters (34+ inches) being caught every outing. Goldeye are starting to run also. Another 6 or so weeks and the walleye will be making their way back into the river.

Funny you mention channel cats.......

Was out yesterday with a fishing buddy. We got into a mess of channel cats. Not sure how many we caught, but the action was pretty fast for awhile. Most were small, but we did get a couple nice fish. And an unexpected bonus walleye.

If you don't really know what you are doing, don't be afraid of, wait for it, Walmart. Their fishing section is pretty decent and they have teams of people that decide what to sell. If it doesn't move, they don't sell it. Look for an assortment mini tackle box. It's tailored for your area. Try a bunch of different stuff in it until you find something that works, then go back and buy just that.

I haven't been out but buddies are telling me that the Channel cats are biting like crazy. Many masters (34+ inches) being caught every outing. Goldeye are starting to run also. Another 6 or so weeks and the walleye will be making their way back into the river.

What are Goldeye?

Glad to see a bunch of other anglers (and some returning curious souls) in the Sabres community. I'm more in the Eastern Rochester to Western Syracuse belt do a lot of my fishing in Flint Creek (Canandaigua to Lyons), Erie Canal/Garangua Creek (Fairport, Palmyra and Newark), Irondequoit Creek (Manly East Rochester and Pennfield), various ponds and Seneca/Canadaigua Lake. 

Trout and river smallmouth are my favorite species to target but any game fish make me happy. I do a ton of fly fishing but also have spinning and baitcasting setups. 

If anyone uses FishBrain (a social catch reporting app for smartphones) i'm ohalfman, add me. It's a great resource to see where and with what fish are being caught in your region. 

Some catches this year are attached: 

A largemouth caught out out of the Canal near lock 28b on baitcaster throwing a blue/black jig with craw trailer; A smallmouth caught out of Flint Creek near Phelps on spinning reel using weighted tubes; and a trout out of Eyer Park (Irondequoit Creek) in East Rochester fly fishing off a "Hopper n' Dropper" nymph setup. 

post-4419-0-64326600-1470760753_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-04765400-1470760763_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-05008400-1470760775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ottosmagic13

• 4 weeks later...

An old hunter and two dogs.........can you tell which is which?

A buddy for over 40 years and I and two others went out this morning............I didn't get a bird until after 9:00 am!!!!!!!!

I only ended up with three but should have had at least 8.....the big goose came in really, really nice.

Back at 'er Saturday morning out of a boat, this was just shooting off of shore because there were four of us.

The black lab got the majority of retrieves and teh Golden only got 4 ducks and a goose. I wouldn't let him go after the easy ones and it was killing him but Erika (who out shot the 3 guys)  had her lab out for the first time ever and I thought it would be better if he saw a lot of birds................the retrieves he couldn't or wouldn't get, mine did.

post-4543-0-25370600-1472763067_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went out with a buddy about 75 minutes north to a little marsh I know of on the west side of Lake Winnipeg.

We had 9 ducks when just before dark the mallards starting coming in like crazy....we could barely reload in time for the next flock...we dropped 5 more and decided to pick up and call it a night....3 minutes of legal shooting left...we are in the water pushing the boat out of the reeds with our guns cased when mallards and Canada geese started landing in the decoys!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could easily have shot 2 more ducks for our limits and put a good dent in the geese but it was nice to watch as we picked up the decoys.

Going for ruffed grouse in an hour or so. I LOVE this time of the year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.