Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Sod, I'm at work, and jealous........What port did you fish out of, and what depths of water did you work? How did your screen look?

Fished yesterday out of Sandy, and it sure wasn't lights out...... we boated 2 Kings, 1 Steelhead, and 1 Laker between 6:15 and 9:30..... 75 - 130 FOW. All spoon bite, riggers at 60 - 75, and wire divers at 180..... Screen was marginal. We would have a few fish on the screen, and then nothing......

35 minutes ago, hsif said:

Sod, I'm at work, and jealous........What port did you fish out of, and what depths of water did you work? How did your screen look?

Fished yesterday out of Sandy, and it sure wasn't lights out...... we boated 2 Kings, 1 Steelhead, and 1 Laker between 6:15 and 9:30..... 75 - 130 FOW. All spoon bite, riggers at 60 - 75, and wire divers at 180..... Screen was marginal. We would have a few fish on the screen, and then nothing......

I'm out of Sandy. We were running from 80-120, and most of our luck was running perpendicular to shore, right out in front. We only ran 4 rods, two spoons on downriggers and two flashers on dipsys. We had something big break a fly off of a flasher rig right off the bat, had a quick double on the spoons soon after that, then it just shut down. We weren't marking much bait, either.

We're heading back out after work, before the weather shifts overnight.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Judging by the weather I'm seeing, noone made it out?

I'm out right now, and it's not too bad. The wind picked up a little and they started biting, so we're giving it another half hour. Three kings and a brown for the afternoon.

11 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

I'm out right now, and it's not too bad. The wind picked up a little and they started biting, so we're giving it another half hour. Three kings and a brown for the afternoon.

Watch the skies.  Some bumpy weather in the neighborhood.

We got out but never touched a fish....... fished from about 5:15 til 7:15. A few marks from 70 - 90, some bait there also, but nobody wanted to play.... It was East wind when we started and when the wind picked up and switched to South, I figured that was a bad weather omen so we quit. 

I’m an avid fly fisher and fly tyer. Thought I’d post some pictures of some recent catches:

Got out on the 4th for a bit of holiday fishing. Caught a bunch of cookie cutter 8-10” stock browns, and a few larger ones 13-15” (pictured). Also caught 15-20 creek chubs (also pictured ?), seems like every good trout holding spot I had to catch 1-2 before the trout would bite. Most were caught on nymphs but the largest of the day came on a dry fly. An Isonychia (Slate Drake) or possibly a Slate-Winged Olive hatch was just coming on around 11 when I caught him but couldn’t enjoy the whole hatch as it was pushing 100 with heat index already. It’s about time to ditch the waders and switch to wet wading. 

The stream shot is where I do most of my trout fishing (Irondequoit Creek). Gorgeous little stream that is stocked in several places throughout the year. 

The bass came opening weekend at North Ponds Park in Webster. Close to my personal best on the fly rod, not sure on the weight unfortunately. The pattern I caught him on was the Sculpin I’d tied (pictured). 

F38F8C0C-0D5C-4B3C-92EF-9AA03CA98FDD.jpeg

77725687-D0AA-42B6-BB4D-4D1BBCEF8C89.jpeg

51C86925-F90F-4C6E-B6C2-577BEAADE75A.jpeg

BB344FD3-2757-4C6C-918D-74AF0F49A9F8.jpeg

7A60ED0E-1F5C-44E1-A889-4F180E75F65E.jpeg

552B9494-601B-4ABA-B867-EF6389D42F37.jpeg

0E290248-B1D7-43B4-B727-724A287E0EAD.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

I leave for the 1000 Islands a week from today and have my fishing gear spread out on the dining room table. My Wife has given me until noon today to transfer it back into the garage as we are having a party today. Like her Grandmother’s 90th Birthday is more important than making sure my fishing gear is all set. 

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Some absolute bangers so far today. Hitting 100' in front of the state park. It was so crazy at daybreak we couldn't run more than two rods. Everything on flashers and flies.

Sounds like the makings of a great morning.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I leave for the 1000 Islands a week from today and have my fishing gear spread out on the dining room table. My Wife has given me until noon today to transfer it back into the garage as we are having a party today. Like her Grandmother’s 90th Birthday is more important than making sure my fishing gear is all set. 

Pffft.  Women.

1 hour ago, hsif said:

Great fishing Sod...

Pi...... you never did tell us..... WTF are you?

Headed to Erie out of Sturgen Point  in the morning...... did 11 Walleye with Weave on Thursday.

Hell, yeah.  Had a great time too.  And a few meal bags of fresh walleye ain’t too shabby.

Hsif knows how to find fish.  I’m sure you’ll get your share tomorrow.  Watch the bumpy weather that might show.

Sunday at dawn I plan to be in the kayak on a small lake nearby looking for walleyes.  Or crappies.  I won’t turn those down either.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hsif said:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Scenery, relaxation, solitude, learning how to dropshot from your son............ all great reasons.

Well, it’s a good thing that it’s not really the fish that I am after.....

2 hours ago, hsif said:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Scenery, relaxation, solitude, learning how to dropshot from your son............ all great reasons.

And from “The Farside” See Henry David run, see Henry David catch, see Henry David throw”

The run of 5 lb Smallies with my Dad and I getting into the act this AM.

Drop Shot with Shinners. Also got some perch and another 2lb Smallie, all and all a great morning

2 hours ago, hsif said:

Very well put. 

I'm going to have to stop by here more often, I notice in the last few posts you do mostly fresh water fishing. I'm trying to remember but it's been a long time since I fly-fished or was out on fresh water. The last few years I've been doing all salt water fishing. 

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The run of 5 lb Smallies with my Dad and I getting into the act this AM.

Drop Shot with Shinners. Also got some perch and another 2lb Smallie, all and all a great morning

Very well put. 

Mmmm.... perch.  Keep some for shore lunch?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.