ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

Maybe the three on the tree confused him. :)

You know most on here won't have a freaking clue what that means right? At my advanced age of 49 I have had that mispleasure of three on the tree a few times but never one that I owned lol

Maybe some of you should be so lucky to have someone in your family be a Tim Horton's building.

Arent we doing the waiting until the facts come out?  Perhaps his family was held hostage and the kidnapper told him he had to get drunk and then drive to save them?

I can see .08 going to the rafters now.

These were great, boys  :lol:

Any truth to the rumour his first words to the arresting officer were "But I'm Ko Simpson, I'm worth millions!"

original.gif

To be honest, I drove home "drunk" last night myself, closed my bar after having 10 beers, drove home, not something to be proud of but i know i was still capable of driving.

Its the fleeing the scene that bothers me more, he was sold to me for being a responsible mature person, a leader for our team.   Also makes me wonder if he had something to hide.

I see no reason to run from this otherwise.

Edited by Heimdall

Very bad decision from one of the young "vets."   Not just the DUI, which is bad, but leaving the scene which is plain stupid.  That shows he was trying to not take ownership of his mistake and probably planned to lie about what happened to the truck (ie. "My truck was stolen").  I hope Dan and Tim set a precedence with this incident.  With such a young team they need to show that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.   I know most people would think I'm crazy but I would suspend him for the first week of the season. 

If he was actually clocked at a .08 I would think that was rather sober for 4 am.

And it doesn't take a large number of beers to reach .08. ROR weighs about 200 lbs. It would take about 4 beers for him to have .08 BAC level. I understand there are number of variables for a person to reach .08. Everyone is different. ROR may have had more than 4. I know it happened and he is responsible, but it's kind of a shocker that 4 beers or so caused him to plow into a Tim Horton's. It was 4 a.m.. Seems more likely dozing off behind the wheel due to being awake at 4 a.m. was the biggest contributor. I'm not trying to defend the guy. But when I first heard reports of this, I thought the guy was heavily intoxicated. 4 beers? Seriously? Again, I'm not trying to defend the guy. Just surprised his BAC was so low. 

I do have one question. Was he on any type of medication? If so, when alcohol is combined w/ a medication the effects of it can be increased. Just depends on what type of medication he may have been on. 

Edited by Thanes16

Both DUI and fleeing the scene of an accident, if convicted would give ROR a criminal record. A conviction for both, or either, could very well render ROR inadmissible to cross the border. Last time I checked crossing the border is an important part of playing in the NHL. This is definitely cause for concern, and should be treated as such.

For those of you reading this and freaking out, I wouldn't worry too much. Professional athletes are often able to, somehow, plead these types of charges down to a misdemeanor. Dustin byfuglien got a DUI on a boat in Ontario a couple years back. Jarret Stoll got off on possession charges. I think that ROR will get off on these charges but it is certainly not the joke that some are making it out to be.

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm going to grab a Timmy's coffee and maybe watch last year's WJHC, or maybe watch the 2014 or 2010 winter Olympics, sounds like fun eh?

He'll probably claim he knew he needed some coffee, foot slipped on brake. He panicked, drove off but then realized his mistake, pulled over and parked, and walked away. He planned on going back in later in the day to pay for the damage. Reasonable doubt, and he'll end up buying the store.

He'll probably claim he knew he needed some coffee, foot slipped on brake. He panicked, drove off but then realized his mistake, pulled over and parked, and walked away. He planned on going back in later in the day to pay for the damage. Reasonable doubt, and he'll end up buying the store.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but this definitely isn't a case where O'Reilly's intent comes in to play. So the reasonable doubt thing doesn't really matter if the BAC evidence is strong. That's all they need to convict.

I expect he'll plead to lesser charges, but I doubt it'll make him any less guilty if the evidence is accurate.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but this definitely isn't a case where O'Reilly's intent comes in to play. So the reasonable doubt thing doesn't really matter if the BAC evidence is strong. That's all they need to convict.

I expect he'll plead to lesser charges, but I doubt it'll make him any less guilty if the evidence is accurate.

A .08 is a point .08. Law is the law. Still find it surprising he slammed into a Tim Horton's on a such a low BAC. He was a hundredth of point from being sober. I do support .08 being considered as driving under the influence. If it wasn't people would drink even more before getting behind the wheel. Yikes! 

That assumes the alcohol was all he had going through his system. The fact that he took a stroll down Main St suggests maybe not.

Oh, and the possession stats post was the best post of the year, easily.

Also, if .08 is borderline in ONT (.05?), then his lawyer will have an easier time getting a plea. Field test BACs are routinely challenged for accuracy.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Very bad decision from one of the young "vets."   Not just the DUI, which is bad, but leaving the scene which is plain stupid.  That shows he was trying to not take ownership of his mistake and probably planned to lie about what happened to the truck (ie. "My truck was stolen").  I hope Dan and Tim set a precedence with this incident.  With such a young team they need to show that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.   I know most people would think I'm crazy but I would suspend him for the first week of the season. 

Oh no I'd suspend him for 10 games.

Then again I don't want to be a hypocrite seeing i drive with 0.8 myself.

Edited by Heimdall

Nowhere in the report does it say he was at exactly .08.

His actual level was not reported. He also blew at the station, generally considered far more reliable.

He has already lost his license for 90 days and his vehicle for, I believe, seven.

Depending on mitigating circumstances we may not be aware of, criminal consequences will likely be dealt with through a plea and will involve probation, fines and community service, not jail time.

That will be because that is typical for first-time offenders who are otherwise considered solid citizens, not because of an preferential treatment for adults.

His ability to play hockey will probably not be impacted, but the public shaming will be considerable.

Nowhere in the report does it say he was at exactly .08.

His actual level was not reported. He also blew at the station, generally considered far more reliable.

He has already lost his license for 90 days and his vehicle for, I believe, seven.

Depending on mitigating circumstances we may not be aware of, criminal consequences will likely be dealt with through a plea and will involve probation, fines and community service, not jail time.

That will be because that is typical for first-time offenders who are otherwise considered solid citizens, not because of an preferential treatment for adults.

His ability to play hockey will probably not be impacted, but the public shaming will be considerable.

A DUI is a terrible offense. According to MADD, 9,000 or so are killed every year due to drunk driving. Forgiveness can at times be can be difficult. And I'm not making reference to someone forgiving a drunk driver being responsible for the death of another. That would be very difficult. Simply saying there will be people finding it difficult to forgive the guy. He did put people at risks.  At times the only remedy is time. Of there's the judge not less the be judged. People mad at him for being at .08 may need to take a look at themselves. Have they ever had a few and chose to drive while most likely being over the limit? Good chance they have. So if they're going throw the guy under the bus, they should also do it to themselves. Let me add I'm not throwing him under the bus. He made a mistake, almost minor considering the bac level, and I like to think he's learned from it. Time to move on. 

Edited by Thanes16

I don't think the public shaming is going to last all that long simply because this is a very relatable (which should not be confused with excusable) crime. I don't want to randomly toss out a statistic, but a lot of people have gotten behind the wheel when they shouldn't have, and they're mostly not horrible human beings. So I think people will be fairly forgiving on this.

A DUI is a terrible offense. According to MADD, 9,000 or so are killed every year due to drunk driving. Forgiveness can at times be can be difficult. And I'm not making reference to someone forgiving a drunk driver being responsible for the death of another. That would be very difficult. Simply saying there will be people finding it difficult to forgive the guy. He did put people at risks.  At times the only remedy is time. Of there's the judge not less the be judged. People mad at him for being at .08 may need to take a look at themselves. Have they ever had a few and chose to drive while most likely being over the limit? Good chance they have. So if they're going throw the guy under the bus, they should also do it to themselves. Let me add I'm not throwing him under the bus. He made a mistake, almost minor considering the bac level, and I like to think he's learned from it. Time to move on. 

:huh:

I don't think the public shaming is going to last all that long simply because this is a very relatable (which should not be confused with excusable) crime. I don't want to randomly toss out a statistic, but a lot of people have gotten behind the wheel when they shouldn't have, and they're mostly not horrible human beings. So I think people will be fairly forgiving on this.

I am willing to let this live on in meme form.  It may be our duty to do so.   :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.