Mike Richards - Contract Terminated

LGR4GM

Pill popping is getting out of hand. Everyone with ten or more years in my trade lives with chronic pain. Those pills mess their minds up. I'd rather work with a guy who smokes weed any day over a pill popper. They'll get you killed. I see it in the apprentices. Once you've started cold extraction you are one step away from smacking your veins up. Self medicating will never go away. IMO removing weed from the prohibition list would help.

Pill popping is getting out of hand. Everyone with ten or more years in my trade lives with chronic pain. Those pills mess their minds up. I'd rather work with a guy who smokes weed any day over a pill popper. They'll get you killed. I see it in the apprentices. Once you've started cold extraction you are one step away from smacking your veins up. Self medicating will never go away. IMO removing weed from the prohibition list would help.

Doctors prescribe methadone for people who are coming off of a long-term exposure to Oxy.

Doctors prescribe methadone for people who are coming off of a long-term exposure to Oxy.

I took Oxy for a couple days after my spinal fusion(L5 to S1). Oxy was awful(and I've had my fair share of drugs)so I've never understood the lure. The doc prescribes Methadone but the folks I've known "need" the other. They start freezing the Tylenol out for a better buzz. Yada yada heroin. We won't as an organization kick a man when he's down. We will send you to rehab. You get clean and we will forget the rest. I've yet to meet someone who can kick heroin(or pills) and finish their career. The worst for me are those guys back from Afghanistan. Served like a hero but are hooked on junk. One of my favorite apprentices just never came back from rehab. Sad....

I'm all for legalizing weed, but I don't see how that stops oxy addiction.

We are drug tested often. Guys beat themselves silly over a lifetime of building bridges, hospitals, hockey rinks, etc.

They need something more than ibuprofen to ease their pain and make it through tomorrow. If they have a script for a particular pain med then they pass the test. The doc doesn't prescribe weed. It cheap. It's not addicting. It eases their pain.

Legitimize.

Legalize weed so someone can self medicate past tomorrow without a narcotic. Most guys I know would prefer to smoke rather than have a pill.

You're probably spot on that it won't do a thing to counter Oxy. I'm guessing most people are smart enough to to not give their own urine anyway. So if you LIKE pills you will in fact still do them.

My point is(since I was clearly not clear) the natural medicine would probably be the best first script. If that doesn't help the pain then move on to narcotics. Limit exposure.

Spinal fusion L5/S1. Surgical repair to left rotator. Surgical repair right rotator. Surgical repair left acl. Surgical reconstruction left foot in particular 5th metatarsal. Skin graft right hand.... I respectfully disagree with you sir. I'm a expert in pain.

Spinal fusion L5/S1. Surgical repair to left rotator. Surgical repair right rotator. Surgical repair left acl. Surgical reconstruction left foot in particular 5th metatarsal. Skin graft right hand.... I respectfully disagree with you sir. I'm a expert in pain.

Medical research indicates it may help you cope with pain (as opposed to actually relieving it) and/or relieve very specific sorts of nerve pain, like in the case of severed/damaged nerves.  You may likely be the later.  But it's generally not a replacement for Oxy.  

Edited by weave

Medical research indicates it may help you cope with pain (as opposed to actually relieving it) and/or relieve very specific sorts of nerve pain, like in the case of severed/damaged nerves. You may likely be the later. But it's generally not a replacement for Oxy.

My chronic pain can't differentiate between coping and relieving....My research(private as it is) confirms it.

had a friend die from methadone. Its no lifesaver

It is no lifesaver, but for some people it's really the only alternative.  If you've been on those heavy pain meds for a while--and I have no idea what a "while" is--that's the only thing that's going to work you down.

Quit taking Oxycodone half-way through the bottle because it was becoming something to look forward too, not to help with the pain, which was just about gone at that point anyway.    Scared the out of me actually.     It sneaks up on you and before you realize it, you've got a problem.

That said, I'm manage to limit my cocaine intake to a reasonable level.   *sniff  sniff*

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to do them too.

Nice Mitch Hedberg reference.  Sadly, he did so many drugs he now only used to do them. 

Speaking of which, the emphasis that the Feds and local governments have placed on prescription narcotics is quite something.  I work in the court system in VIrginia, and can tell you from my own observations and what I've been told by law enforcement that heroin is definitely cheaper and easier to get than Oxy et. al.  I'd be willing to bet the same is true more or less universally across the US.  Immensely frightening if you think about it. 

Nice Mitch Hedberg reference.  Sadly, he did so many drugs he now only used to do them. 

Speaking of which, the emphasis that the Feds and local governments have placed on prescription narcotics is quite something.  I work in the court system in VIrginia, and can tell you from my own observations and what I've been told by law enforcement that heroin is definitely cheaper and easier to get than Oxy et. al.  I'd be willing to bet the same is true more or less universally across the US.  Immensely frightening if you think about it.

Yep. It's definitely a problem. Until they stop treating drug abuse as a crime instead of a medical issue it's going to remain a huge problem in this country. Unfortunately with the privatization of prisons and the unions who run the prison guards don't seem to have any interest in doing that, which is definitely a shame because that would alleviate a huge burden on both the judicial system and the prison system. Seems like drugs are only a medical issue when the person who gets caught is rich though and for everyone else it's a crime problem.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.