Mike Richards - Contract Terminated

LGR4GM

It is a team based in LA. The Las Vegas team will be awful :P

Yep.  The Texas Rangers did a pretty good reclamation job on Josh Hamilton and got some good years out of him.  He signed as a free agent with the L.A. Angels (*of Anaheim) and ended up stoned on booze & blow again.  The Angels traded him for a bag of broken bats back to the Rangers.  I hate that he's a perennial cokehead and he left Texas on very bad terms (insulting the city of Dallas), but when he's clean he's pretty damned good.  But dumping him in L.A. was a bad, bad move.

/tangent

:oops:  Thanks for pointing that out. I'll delete this thread.

Why?

This story deserves its own thread. Not everyday that a player gets terminated rather than bought out. Keeping this in the other thread, a lot of other info will get drowned out in Richards' BS.

Why?

This story deserves its own thread. Not everyday that a player gets terminated rather than bought out. Keeping this in the other thread, a lot of other info will get drowned out in Richards' BS.

Good point. I'll keep this thread on the board. Would like to see Mike Richards updates as they happen.

Could have been as simple as a swab of a credit card turning up traces of cocaine.

wouldnt that result in an arrest? especially at the border? It has to be something more serious, for all the hush about it from LA, and Pierre being weird about divulging more. 

My guess would be that the reason things can't be disclosed is for the legal process or investigation. 

Edited by Patty16

Given the Slava Voynov stuff, it will be very interesting to see what this incident was. There's already the built in "well you didn't terminate his contract" defense.

I don't see how it can be worse than Voynov's domestic abuse. But then again he'd still be a useful player if acquitted, whereas Richards is shot. I'm trying to keep an open mind since we have no information, but I'm finding it difficult not to be cynical about LA's motives here.

I don't see how it can be worse than Voynov's domestic abuse. But then again he'd still be a useful player if acquitted, whereas Richards is shot. I'm trying to keep an open mind since we have no information, but I'm finding it difficult not to be cynical about LA's motives here.

There motives are clear as day.  Still, the story is going to have to be a really good one if the team thought they could actually get away with this.

There motives are clear as day. Still, the story is going to have to be a really good one if the team thought they could actually get away with this.

What happens if LA loses? The buyout window would be long gone, so do they get stuck with the full cap hit another year or does the league bend the rules for them?

What happens if LA loses? The buyout window would be long gone, so do they get stuck with the full cap hit another year or does the league bend the rules for them?

The league just changed the rules to allow a player under contract for 2 more seasons get in the HoF.

Considering the reports were that they'd put him on waivers during the buyout period then stopped the process when they got the heads up from the RCMP, do you even have to ask the bolded?

The league just changed the rules to allow a player under contract for 2 more seasons get in the HoF.

The same player they actually hired for a league job while he's still on a team's cap and payroll (there has to be some sort of payout, right?).  Conflict of interest?

Anyone else have to look up RCMP to know what it meant? :bag:

This is all you need to know:

Considering the reports were that they'd put him on waivers during the buyout period then stopped the process when they got the heads up from the RCMP, do you even have to ask the bolded?

Sometimes I'm still young and naive.

The same player they actually hired for a league job while he's still on a team's cap and payroll (there has to be some sort of payout, right?). Conflict of interest?

This is all you need to know:

That would be the 1.

I typically disagree w/ 1 selection to the HHoF, but 3 is a new record. (For those that are curious, the other 1 I don't agree w/ is Karmanos. You move a team, you belong in the HHoI not the HHoF.)

[Edit: Schrader, wtf is the Mounty video thing that embedded in my reply to you? :unsure: ]

Edited by Taro T

It'll be interesting to see what this does for the Kings' cap number. If the NHL allows the Kings' to scrub his salary I wonder if you'd find subtle language being included in contracts to make this kind of thing more likely.

It'll be interesting to see what this does for the Kings' cap number. If the NHL allows the Kings' to scrub his salary I wonder if you'd find subtle language being included in contracts to make this kind of thing more likely.

There won't be changes to the wording of the SPC's w/out approval of the NHLPA and that won't happen until the next CBA is written.

Just trying to help True to understand who the RCMP are.  They always get their man.

That wasn't showing up in your original post until I'd posted my edit but was showing up in my post. Weird.

Must've had something to do w/ how this site gets cached.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.