Mike Richards - Contract Terminated

LGR4GM

Your last sentance is what I was thinking of when I made my post. If it turns out to be a relatively minor offense, then other teams with big contract albatrosses may pursue this clause at the first sign of trouble.

I'm just hoping if it goes through it is for some serious sh!t.

This being the NHL, one can't put anything past them; but it seems reeeeaaally unlikely that the league would ok it if it is minor because stiring up trouble w/ the NHLPA right before starting the expansion process seems like a less than stellar idea. Though, it is the NHL, so who knows. ;)

Yes sir, Officer.... I mean your Royal Mountedness..... My General Manager packed my hockeybag..... I have no idea where that white powder came from....

:w00t:

Your last sentance is what I was thinking of when I made my post. If it turns out to be a relatively minor offense, then other teams with big contract albatrosses may pursue this clause at the first sign of trouble.

Then the players union will fight it and his contract may not be terminated.

The Leaf's will have private eyes posted at every Tim Horton's from Fort Erie to North York with a picture of Phil Kessel in their pocket.

I don't expect it to be a slam dunk for the Kings by any means, but ownership perpetually losing arbitrations in baseball does not mean they'll necessarily lose this one - Fehr or no Fehr. (Pretty sure he saw the union not only not get rid of the cap but actually have the players share of HRR decrease as well in his last negotiation.) With no facts available to us right now, I'd put it 50-50. :)

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/06/30/nhls-mike-richards-nhl-notified-about-oxycodone-drama-at-canadian-border

TMZ reporting that he was questioned about having oxycodone while crossing the border. It's a narcotic painkiller

If that's what the issue is, it would be interesting to see if the Kings have anything in writing that Richards would stay away from that. My guess is he doesn't.

If that's what the issue is, it would be interesting to see if the Kings have anything in writing that Richards would stay away from that. My guess is he doesn't.

I would think that if he were on Oxycodone legitimately the Kings would know about it and the team doc would likely have written the prescription for it,  My gut tells me that it is not legally possessed oxycodone. A no-no whether expressly mentioned by the team or no.

Man, I can see where the team would want to use this to negate his contract, but that isn't much of an offense IMO.  Wouldn't surprise me if 30% of the players in the league have oxy without a script.

Edited by weave

I would think that if he were on Oxycodone legitimately the Kings would know about it and the team doc would likely have written the prescription for it,  My gut tells me that it is not legally possessed oxycodone. A no-no whether expressly mentioned by the team or no.

Man, I can see where the team would want to use this to negate his contract, but that isn't much of an offense IMO.  Wouldn't surprise me if 30% of the players in the league have oxy without a script.

This is why the elimination of his contract concerns me.

If Oxy is all they've got on him; it tips the scales towards expecting it's back to a buyout.

That's why I was wondering if they somehow had in writing that he'd stay clean (can't see how they would though). Them telling him last year that he would be bought out but him "looking (Dean) in the eye" claiming he'd stay clean causing the Kings to rethink their strategy sounds plausible; but don't know that would rise to enough to get the contract voided.

This one will definitely be interesting to watch. Need me some popcorn.

I would think that if he were on Oxycodone legitimately the Kings would know about it and the team doc would likely have written the prescription for it, My gut tells me that it is not legally possessed oxycodone. A no-no whether expressly mentioned by the team or no.

Man, I can see where the team would want to use this to negate his contract, but that isn't much of an offense IMO. Wouldn't surprise me if 30% of the players in the league have oxy without a script.

Wouldn't surprise me if 30% of North Americans have some controlled substance without a script.

If Oxy is all they've got on him; it tips the scales towards expecting it's back to a buyout.

That's why I was wondering if they somehow had in writing that he'd stay clean (can't see how they would though). Them telling him last year that he would be bought out but him "looking (Dean) in the eye" claiming he'd stay clean causing the Kings to rethink their strategy sounds plausible; but don't know that would rise to enough to get the contract voided.

This one will definitely be interesting to watch. Need me some popcorn.

If the ruling is against the Kings, I think they have missed the buyout period, as it was not completed by 5 PM today

If the ruling is against the Kings, I think they have missed the buyout period, as it was not completed by 5 PM today

Have to wonder how that would go. I think the NHL could potentially allow them to buyout the contract given the situation, but I could also see them taking the opportunity to set an example. The league probably doesn't want these type of issues.

Hard to say. They'd begun the process within the eindow and then changed to termination. My GUESS is that if the termination is determined to be ungrounded that the league would give the Kings a mulligan. Again, hard to say when they make so much up on the fly.

Hard to say. They'd begun the process within the eindow and then changed to termination. My GUESS is that if the termination is determined to be ungrounded that the league would give the Kings a mulligan. Again, hard to say when they make so much up on the fly.

The Kings apparently indicated the day of the termination that is these their intention when they started the waiver process. So I don't think they've got that argument on their side.

The Kings apparently indicated the day of the termination that is these their intention when they started the waiver process. So I don't think they've got that argument on their side.

Weren't they attempting to trade Richards to Edmonton during the draft? That could backfire on LA. Edited by Thanes16

Weren't they attempting to trade Richards to Edmonton during the draft? That could backfire on LA.

Yes. They had to pull out because they were told of this incident. If anything it helps them. Everyone knows it was a bad contract and this is mighty convient for them. But trying to trade him shows they were seeking legitimate ways to remove him and he torpedoed these attempts

Does he have an injury history? I wonder if he got hooked on them like many other athletes during recovery.

Like I said, wouldn't surprise me if 30% of the league has oxy without a script.  Every NHL player has an injury history.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.